Main Menu

how to...

Started by nightterrors, June 05, 2012, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightterrors

hook up a head with one speaker out, into 2 cabs (both only have one speaker out as well)

any help would be appreciated! thanks.

dunwichamps

splitter box or a splitter cable.

moose23

I'd be wary of using a instrument splitter box for splitting to different cabs. Best make sure the box is suitable for the job.

Hemisaurus

Which you can make with two regular cables, an exacto knife and some tape.

Cut cables in half. Keep one half spare. Here I'll assume all the cables are white and black inside, strip the whites, twist them together, tape them up, do the same for the blacks. It's done ;)

dunwichamps

if you want to be consistent use 16 awg wire

Hemisaurus

Why 16AWG specifically?

I use these terminal strips from RadioShack rather than just twisting the wires together, handles up to 10AWG, allegedley, under $3.

dunwichamps

equivalent to ur speaker cable gauge, atleast mine is 16 awg.

Hemisaurus

MIne are all two core outdoor cord, 12,14,16 can't recall, nice and heavy, in orange and green ;D

moose23

I need to make a few new speaker cables now that my cab owner ship looks to be expanding. Defo going outdoor orange whether speakon or not.

nightterrors

Quote from: dunwichamps on June 05, 2012, 02:35:18 PM

thanks a lot man.
Where can I get either?

dunwichamps

Quote from: nightterrors on June 06, 2012, 11:04:46 PM

thanks a lot man.
Where can I get either?

I would just build 1 to be honest.

Something like this Parallel/Series box would work u can even minus the series part if so

nightterrors

Quote from: dunwichamps on June 07, 2012, 12:01:57 AM
Quote from: nightterrors on June 06, 2012, 11:04:46 PM

thanks a lot man.
Where can I get either?

I would just build 1 to be honest.

Something like this Parallel/Series box would work u can even minus the series part if so

Could you build me one?

dunwichamps

if u dont mind waiting a bit. Its possible.

SoupKitchen

[/quote]

What gauge wire did you use in these? Like most of your builds, it looks like solid core, but unless my scale is off, it looks like you used 20 or 22 AWG.

dunwichamps

18 awg stranded silver plated teflon. I didnt have any 16 awg on hand for the time being so it will suffice. I do have 16 awg solid core buss wire but didnt use it for this build

nightterrors

Quote from: dunwichamps on June 10, 2012, 05:59:53 AM
if u dont mind waiting a bit. Its possible.

alright, cool man. PM me your email!

jibberish

hah, right on, i've been buying zip cord for speaker wires since forever. it all has a pattern on one of the conductor insulations so you can distinguish + and - no problem.   the brown lamp-cord color is very subtle and the insulation is nice and flexible = ez2 work with.

i use 14/16/18 and probably have easily 1000 feet of it collected up over the years. it is definitely way cheaper to buy it in 100' spools from electrical supply house.