JCM800 - which version is better?

Started by hayseed, June 04, 2012, 03:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

I may be in the market to pick up a Marshall JCM800 to replace my TSL. I am not sure which model to chase. I like a simple one channel operation preferably but if there is a version with 2 channels i wouldn't mind the extra channel. 100 watt or 50 watt? Any suggestions?
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

dunwichamps

the 2203/2204 (aka JCM800 later in the 80s) is a single channel only model with the 2203 being 100W and 2204 being 50W.

Thats essentially all you can pick when it comes to that particular model. There are plenty of other knock offs tho from other brands to consider

clockwork green

99% of people will say the single channels and I'd agree with them but the two channels are capable of great tone but it's a single, specific sound that is hard to dial in. The cleans are terrible on the two channels and at low volume so is the lead channel but if you crank it and dial it in just it can be hard to beat.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

dunwichamps

i dont know much or have played any of the proceeding model numbers but the 2203/04 is a solid amp. You can get cleaner tones by jacking into the low input which bypasses the first gain stage giving you more headroom.  In DoomRoom hcfx a couple users do this and use heavier fuzzes into it for solid tones. you can also boost the hi input stage to get the heavies 2

Mr. Foxen

Best JCM800 is probably the Laney AOR.

dunwichamps

also some sovtek i think and those red bears for clones of that amp

Instant Dan

2203/2204 if you are looking for a single channel, the better version IMO, or 2205/2210 if you want to try the dual channel. You may hear stories about the horizontal input versions of the 2203/2204 being inferior to the more desirable vertical input versions but that's all BS.

Somewhere online it showed the 2204 never changed as far as parts go. They did on 2203's but the tonal change is minimal at best and is a case of people hearing with their eyes instead of their ears.

But, if you don't watch to drop the cash for one of those you can look into these. They are rising in prices but not near the price of Marshall's:

Laney AOR's (essentially Lee Jackson modded 2203/2204's)
Red Bear
Sovtek Mig

Mr. Foxen

Would say the Sovteks are pretty dodge construction wise, from shots I've seen, the Laneys are pretty good though (PCB for components only, everything socket and pot wise is chassis  mount except the bias trimmer).

dunwichamps

sovteks probably no better or worse than any other modern commercial amp work. AORs are well built compared to a lot of stuff out there.

hayseed

I had an AOR100 cross my path a few months back. It was a cool amp but I really didn't think it was very "Marshall" sounding, but a good sound regardless. I have seen the 2210s(?)around lately which( and I may be wrong) are the 800 series with 2 channels and a reverb? I really only need a single channel amp. My TSL does the trick but I have no need for the clean or lead channel. I've actually been using my Class 5 for practice purposes and running a Tubescreamer in front of it when I need it.

Sent from my iPhone

TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
Star wears same wild pants as Stefani
Get Yahoo Search App! • Privacy Policy

"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Hemisaurus

Vertical jacks, not horizontal. EL34's not 6550's.

tossom

Quote from: Hemisaurus on June 04, 2012, 07:06:50 PM
Vertical jacks, not horizontal. EL34's not 6550's.

It was many many years ago, but think I asked in the jam room of the old site about Marshall heads. Could have been dmusic as used to post there too.  Anyway, the advice led to me (aged 21 then) being the proud owner of a 1982 vertical input 2204 shortly after asking the Q.

I remember being steered toward 2204 and the JCM 900 2500 model (EL34 model).  Am I right in thinking the SL-X heads were 1 channel, but with an extra pre amp tube for extra gain?

They pop up for sale in the UK every now and then anyway, I am sure Mr Foxen will be able to say if it is a model worth looking at :)
"Beige rock"

Mr. Foxen

Marshalls are gay and sound like AIDS. Except sometimes when I'm selling one for The Melvins' tour manager, those ones are good.

Mostly they are overrated and overpriced because of the badge, so I have nothing to do with them.

The pigs that have partridge iron, those I can get with.

blackkrosses

I got an '81 800, an '85 AOR50, and a MIG50 in my garage right now and I can definitely say that none of them sound alike. The 800 is one of the more dynamic amps with a gain knob I've ever played, the Laney  has more gain and bass (almost everything has more bass than an 800) and can get heavy quicker, and the MIG50 is more or less a bassman. One of the guitar players in my band has a MIG100 which is supposed to be their 800 but it is also bassier and gainier than the 800. Nothing quite feels like the Marshall in terms of dynamic, which is it's biggest appeal to me. My roommate owns it and he boosts the low gain with an overdrive or a fuzz he can disengage to get a cleaner sound. Most people complain about Marshall clean sound but it has a bite and edge to it I enjoy.

hayseed

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on June 04, 2012, 07:34:22 PM
Marshalls are gay and sound like AIDS. Except sometimes when I'm selling one for The Melvins' tour manager, those ones are good.

Mostly they are overrated and overpriced because of the badge, so I have nothing to do with them.

I just shit my pants laughing at "Marshalls are gay and sound like AIDS"! That may be the funniest damn thing i ever read! I agree that sometimes they are overpriced, though not as bad as Orange(especially the newer ones!), however their AIDS-like sound draws me in every time. I have had alot of amps but I love me some Marshall tone. So i think I'm gonna stick with them.

I guess i should rephrase my inquiry. Not necessarily wondering which is better as it really depends on the whos hearing it, but which ones to look for and which ones to avoid? It would be nice to have a store within decent driving range that carries the damn things so i could try one out.

tossom

Must agree with Mr Foxen to an extent, for he knows much more than I and sells cool shit.  Marshalls are horribly overpriced over here nowadays 2nd hand.  My 800 is a good amp, the guys in Flynn amps seemed to agree when I had it overhauled. I have a 900 too (4500) and have never really liked it.  Could probably say I have not played a new Marshall that I have liked, DSLs, TSLs etc.

"Beige rock"

blackkrosses

Avoid the 800's with reverb. I've heard they have problems.

clockwork green

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on June 04, 2012, 07:34:22 PM

Yep...nobody has ever gotten good tone out of a Marshall...especially an 800.  All of those great Pexi's, JTM's and 800's we've seen over the years were all secetly Sound City's inside.

Whenever something becomes such a strong standard sometimes people will look for anything else just for the sake of being different.  I'm not saying that Marshall are the be all, end all of all amps they're damn solid and damn easy to get a great tone out of aside from a few models. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: tossom on June 04, 2012, 07:50:53 PM
the guys in Flynn amps seemed to agree when I had it overhauled.

I had an amp worked on by them, that came with the receipt, I was very far from impressed. I also got a PM regarding them from another dealer warning me since the amp was advertised as having work done by them. I sort of figure its a head guy who knows what he is up to and a bunch of bodgers he farms out to.

Hemisaurus

See the posts in best solid state high gain metal amp thread, the JCM900 has a modern tone stack, where they use op-amps to shape the sounds before it hits the tubes. This active tone system doesn't behave like the earlier passive tone stacks.

VOLVO)))

My 800 sounded great, Oli is just a grump.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Worthless Willie

My '81 has 6550's, and it sounds great.

Real great.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

RacerX

Quote from: Worthless Willie on June 05, 2012, 12:00:20 PM
My '81 has 6550's, and it sounds great.

Real great.

I think it's great that you can accept your amp's gayness and the AIDS-ridden tone it produces. Who sez Texans are closed-minded?

Livin' The Life.

Worthless Willie

What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith