JCM800 - which version is better?

Started by hayseed, June 04, 2012, 03:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunwichamps

generally speaking yes, there was a small change in the filtering I believe during later model production but the rest of the circuit was identical.

FullCustom

Quote from: Instant Dan on July 10, 2012, 01:42:26 PM
I thought besides the cosmetics, the master volume JMP 2203/2204 and JCM800 2203/2204 are exactly the same.
Blasphemy, The JCM800 has larger transformers and higher plate voltage than the JMP.  The JCM800 has more headroom and a stiffer attack.   

hayseed

I may have found an 800 locally for a good price but I'm having some issues finding info on the particular model. The guy says its an 85 2204 50 watt with horizontal inputs. It is dark green with a checkered grill. All info I've found says that these were small box heads. I have yet to see it up close to know for sure.

What is the difference in the small box heads? Were the green heads a special edition? What tubes are supposed to be in it? Any info will help . Thanks
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

That's cute, to bad it eats fuses like a Hummer eats gas.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

it ain't et a fuse in almost a year.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

fallen

My later model 800 has a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. Awesome but led me to really abuse that thing with mismatched loaner cabs at gigs and generally turning it up too loud.

RAGER

Thermal auto resetting breaker :D.  just give it a second
No Focus Pocus

BrianDamage

My favorite JCM800 is my Peavey VTM 60.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

justinhedrick

Quote from: BrianDamage on October 08, 2012, 11:54:46 PM

yep. you can get them for $250-$300 any day of the week, and they eat 800s.

BrianDamage

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 09, 2012, 12:10:21 AM
Quote from: BrianDamage on October 08, 2012, 11:54:46 PM

yep. you can get them for $250-$300 any day of the week, and they eat 800s.
Yep. I got my head and matching 412m (celestion loaded) cab for 250 at a pawn shop. With enough patience retardedly good deals can be had.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

FullCustom

I worked on a PV VTM120 awhile ago. Great amps, that DIP switch thing in the front is a great feature too. I heard that they got sued by Marshall over that one.