Dear Schaller[read John], we are thru. the honeymoon is over

Started by jibberish, March 08, 2012, 06:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

big ass lag screw+big ass washer=zero problems ever again.

a while back the nut and one washer type piece loosened and fell off the bridge end schaller. lot of parts in those actually.

more recently, i completely tore the screw out of the neck end. i am way rough on the neck strap support.
the screw diameter is limited by the schaller part hole diameter.   i dont feel like playing with elmer's and sawdust here.

my ibanezes that have the big screw washer setup could be twirled by their straps.   

Only regret: man did the gold schallers look nice on my wine red LP. i put gold std type knobs on and removed the black and clear shit LP knobs = 100% gold hardware a-z = gorgeous.   but does me fuck-all good if it falls apart mid-show.

maybe you pro asshats are starting wear off on me.   making it through the show counts most of all now. im not real concerned what it looks like.   

Corey Y

I've never had a problem with Schaller strap locks. I've seen a lot of user error related catastrophes though. Like not tightening the nut properly, having the cup turned upside down on the strap, not plugging stripped out holes when installing, etc. I tighten the locks on my strap with vice grips and a crescent wrench until the leather end is pressed in deep and usually use my own screws or completely plug and redrill the holes and use a little wax before screwing them in. Whatever works though, I've seen a lot of oddball DIY solution that people love and last them forever.

jibberish

ya i understand, but imo, still too much to chance. i'll just be able to forget about the whole strap thing.

the "upside-down cup" thing was part of the ritual of checking things over. i learned about that the hard way too.

then the analogy from martial arts hit. regarding escapes from hand holds.   you escape through the door of the thumb and fingers, you do not escape through the wall of the hand.   

VOLVO)))

I had a schaller lock drop my tele. I cried.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

My days of $25 straplocks are long over.

My days of these $1 Dunlop locks are now over.

Enter the era of the large 39¢ Home Depot rubber washer. Was turned onto this simple solution my a guy who's a real manic on stage, so it's been vetted.

poop.

Lumpy

Quote from: Jake on March 08, 2012, 07:45:40 PM
My days of $25 straplocks are long over.

My days of these $1 Dunlop locks are now over.

Enter the era of the large 39¢ Home Depot rubber washer. Was turned onto this simple solution my a guy who's a real manic on stage, so it's been vetted.

Is that in the Home Depot plumbing department?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

clockwork green

Most of the ultra secure methods I've seen require you to leave your strap on the guitar at all times...that won't fit in my case...the Gibson V cases don't have much space.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Jake

Actually in the little drawers in the regular nuts and bolts hardware aisle.

I actually prefer Lowes since the Home Depot founder is a right wing, religious shitstain. Vote with your dollars!
poop.

Ayek

I hated having to take the strap off my bass whenever I put it away. Big fuckin screw and a big fuckin washer have seen me right for years.

mutantcolors

When I need a strap lock, I drink a pop top Grolsch. The downside? You have to drink at least two...oh wait that's a fucking PLUS. Double score.

Metal and Beer

"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Ayek

Quote from: mutantcolors on March 09, 2012, 03:05:15 PM
When I need a strap lock, I drink a pop top Grolsch. The downside? You have to drink at least two...oh wait that's a fucking PLUS. Double score.

Does drinking two swingtops somehow conjure up a straplock by some mystical force, or is there more to it? I need answers, dammit, I must know.

Baltar

Quote from: Corey Y on March 08, 2012, 06:23:44 PM
I've never had a problem with Schaller strap locks. I've seen a lot of user error related catastrophes though. Like not tightening the nut properly, having the cup turned upside down on the strap, not plugging stripped out holes when installing, etc. I tighten the locks on my strap with vice grips and a crescent wrench until the leather end is pressed in deep and usually use my own screws or completely plug and redrill the holes and use a little wax before screwing them in. Whatever works though, I've seen a lot of oddball DIY solution that people love and last them forever.

^^^^^This plus,  LOCTITE!  Also, a little drop on my George L's, after I tighten them with plyers and vice-grips, problem solved.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Mr. Foxen

You can also buy the rubber seals from brew shops.

Chovie D

Quote from: Jake on March 08, 2012, 08:25:34 PM
Actually in the little drawers in the regular nuts and bolts hardware aisle.

I actually prefer Lowes since the Home Depot founder is a right wing, religious shitstain. Vote with your dollars!

didnt know that, thanks for the tip.

bitter

Anyone ever had issues with the rubber gaskets/washers - or to a lesser degree - metal washers backing the screw out over time? I heard in one review that the traction from those Grolsch gaskets can do that after time?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Mr. Foxen

I find the rubber sorts stop your strap moving, so you never get the upside down thing. If you manage to turn it anyway it might turn the button with it. should be able to tell the screw needs tightening long before it falls off though.

RacerX

I like Schaller hardware in general. Machines, bridges, tailpieces — it's quality shit.

Never used their straplocks, tho.
Livin' The Life.

bitter

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 09, 2012, 09:01:05 PM
I find the rubber sorts stop your strap moving, so you never get the upside down thing. If you manage to turn it anyway it might turn the button with it. should be able to tell the screw needs tightening long before it falls off though.

Ok, I kinda thought that was the case. As long as it wont cause any stripping out of the screw I'd be willing to try them.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

fallen

I was just in the Home Depot picking up a few washers. Thought I'd post the codes for anyone who needs them or in case I need to look them up again later.

The rubber ones that fit perfectly are code 3501 and the silver metal version are code 3256.

Around a 3/8" or 5/16" centre hole is perfect depending upon the strap peg.

mutantcolors

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 09, 2012, 06:56:58 PM

You can also buy the rubber seals from brew shops.

Ayek^^^

Drink the Grolsch, snag the red gasket off the lid.

Lumpy

I don't like the Grolsch red, so I'll get some washers next time I'm at home depot.

:thumbsup:
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Ayek

Quote from: mutantcolors on March 12, 2012, 06:39:57 PM
Ayek^^^

Drink the Grolsch, snag the red gasket off the lid.

I see. I wasn't sure if you were somehow incorporating other parts of the swing mech in ways I could never comprehend.

Volume

I (and everyone else in our band) use Dunlop strap-locks and never had problems. The only downside is that they protrude a bit from the body which can look a bit weird. I also have a washer-type thingie on one guitar, but the strap always gets tangled up which is really annoying.

Instant Dan

I have Schallers on both my LP and SG, no problems here but I also tighten them with a wrench.

Knowing what I know now, for my next couple of guitars I will probably do the metal or rubber washer method.