Main Menu

Lets talk Explorers.

Started by Volume, March 07, 2012, 03:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volume

I don't think I've ever really played one, maybe a few seconds at some store. Some of them look pretty sweet though. How do they compare to a V, SG or Les Paul for example? And what's the deal with the smaller body some seem to have (or is it just some optical illusion)? I have too many P90's I want something I can put a pair of bareknuckle warpigs or some other crushing humbuckers on.

The Riffer

I've had 2 of them. Both were super fast and very comfortable to play. I'll snag another when the time and price is right. Actually looking for the Epi Korina model to pop up.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

dunwichamps

i have a gibby explorer, it is pretty fast, the body shape feels nice to me. I also have a LP and an SG. all Gibby. Too me everything boils down to the neck/fret feel and the resonance of the guitar. It feels a little bigger than my SG but not as thick as my LP and its also not as heavy as the LP

dunwichamps

Quote from: The Riffer on March 07, 2012, 09:14:41 AM
I've had 2 of them. Both were super fast and very comfortable to play. I'll snag another when the time and price is right. Actually looking for the Epi Korina model to pop up.

korina looks really nice, i love the way the wood grain looks on it

Chovie D

have an 83 gibson. Body is uncomfortable. much prefer my SG.

RacerX

Not only are Explorers uncomfortable; the narrow "waist" is a sustain-sucker, IMO.

Most I've picked up feel relatively dead in the hands, and I attribute it to that.
Livin' The Life.

Zero

I picked up an Epi korina explorer last year and love the damn thing. Fast, weight is great and after implementing a leather strap it sits well. I actually find myself playing it more than any other guitar I own. Never, in a million years, thought I would like it the way I do.

Also, switched out the white pick guard to black. Personally, I think it looks heaps better.

VOLVO)))

I like Lewis/Clark, or if you like the forceful exploration, Francisco Pizarro.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Volume

The korina ones look great, but what's the deal with the pro? I kinda like the smaller body, not sure about the trans amber though.

Too bad the new ones don't have block inlays.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Explorer-Traditional-Pro.aspx

Hemisaurus

Edmund Hillary, Scott of the Antartic, and my personal favourite, Robert Moffat.

mutantcolors

I had an Epi explorer for a bit that I traded in for a small recording unit, but I felt it was comfortable. I'm really in to mockingbirds though, which some people ind a little odd and neck dive-ish, they sit just right for me though. That "hip" that comes up where your right arm goes is a natural anchor point for me, same on the mockingbird.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 08, 2012, 08:10:54 AM
Edmund Hillary, Scott of the Antartic, and my personal favourite, Robert Moffat.

Mediocre minds think alike.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ayek

I'm sitting on Sir Edmund Hillary's face as we speak.

Chovie D

its the red one, the one that looks like an explorer