Main Menu

Delay reccomendations?

Started by Instant Dan, March 06, 2012, 10:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

Ever since I sold my Deluxe Memory Man, been on the look out for another delay/echo, more in a tape feel. Looked at the Wampler Faux Tape Echo but don't know if it oscillates, the Boss RE-20 gets a lot of love but is supposedly very noisy if it doesn't have an isolated power spot, and the Catalinbread Montavillian Echo, from what I am told, is not so much based off a tube delay but rather just a dirty modulated digital delay.

Anyway, just trying to find a delay/echo pedal that is similair to a tube/tape feel.

How is the Ibanez DE7?

Hemisaurus

Sexual intercourse is a great delay. Sometimes food can be a pretty good delay too.

rayinreverse

I had an AD9 that I got rid of for an RE20. Minus the noise on my RE20, I love it. I did have to get an isolated power supply.

Jake

If I didn't want a delay that also loops, I'd have one of these in a heartbeat.

http://www.orbitelectronix.com/

poop.

Lumpy

Quote from: Instant Dan on March 06, 2012, 10:06:41 AM
How is the Ibanez DE7?

It has limited capabilities, although the range it covers is all in the 'useful zone' more or less. It doesn't do trails (chops off your tail when you turn it off, unless maybe it's in an effects loop.) I would say its a good 'budget' delay.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

this is supposed to be some pretty hot shit...$179 tho. guy from Low uses one. all the vids I saw absolutely sucked but he effect sounded real good.

xayk

I just picked up an EQD Disaster Transport Jr.  Should be here tomorrow, details by this weekend.  I know it'll do 'tape-style' delays, which is what I'm after at the moment, and I can't afford the Strymon El Capistan.

I'm also kinda after a Headrush E2, mostly for looping purposes, but it's supposed to to tape-style well.

I have (had: it's going to SunnO))) eventually...) a DD20, and I wasn't really into it's "tape" mode.  FWIW.

Jake

Quote from: Chovie D on March 06, 2012, 06:15:10 PM
this is supposed to be some pretty hot shit...$179 tho. guy from Low uses one. all the vids I saw absolutely sucked but he effect sounded real good.

I had one of those for a while. It was a great sounding pedal, but very limited in what it could do. The Slam function is completely useless, I suspect on purpose.
poop.

Chovie D

good to know, thanks for the review.

what DOES the slam button do?

NoSleepTilSleep

Strymon El Capistan, if you're looking for something that does spot on tape delay (including echo-plex sound on sound mode for super dirty lo-fi looping). If you're using delay with a lot of dirt then the Strymon might be a bit overindulgent as it works best with clean and slighty gritty tones.

Jake

Quote from: Chovie D on March 07, 2012, 02:07:04 PM
good to know, thanks for the review.

what DOES the slam button do?

3:15 in this video. "Slam" just realeases all hell.

poop.

MichaelZodiac

My guitarist is looking into delays but we tune to B and he's using an FZ-2 (soon a Sunmachine Göterdämmerung) so he'd need something that can handle the amount of dirt he's using. What would be his best choice? Those Malekko delays sound pretty good as well...
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Baxandall

I'm selling my Guyatone Flip tube driven delay.  It has those decay signatures that I believe you are looking for from reading your op.

See the spam thread around page 15. 

NoSleepTilSleep

Well to be honest, if you're only using massive amounts of gain (like an FZ-2) then the nuances of a specific delay are gonna be overshadowed. Now that's not a bad thing, but it just means you don't have to be super picky about what kind of delay you're using cause it's gonna get a little washed out or coloured by fuzz. Something with high headroom and clear repeats would be good, like a Boss (DD-3/5/7 are all good), Earthquaker and Malekko stuff would also be up to the task. When you're running a thick fuzz just make sure your delay pedal has something that controls tone, because if you run something like an MXR Carbon Copy (or other dark-voiced analog delay) the thickness and the bass of your gain (and amp) will just eat the repeats.

The Riffer

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on March 07, 2012, 04:52:19 PM
My guitarist is looking into delays but we tune to B and he's using an FZ-2 (soon a Sunmachine Göterdämmerung) so he'd need something that can handle the amount of dirt he's using. What would be his best choice? Those Malekko delays sound pretty good as well...
I like my boss dd6 for this reason. it stays crisp and has non muddied up repeats even when using lots of shit in front of it.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Chovie D

if you ever see one of these old guys pick it up. they tend to be really cheap like $20.

I hvae a real space echo and  the line6 dl4 does a good job of imitating it, plus has a looper and reverse delay.

I also have an old boss dm2, a carbon copy, a byoc and a few others I forget....

VOLVO)))

Ive got the dl4. Sounds great. I use the tape echo the most. Mine is keely'd. It has a spot for 4 AA's. I lol'd.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ranbat

I love my Ibanez DE7, but from the types of pedals you listed, it's not the droid you're looking for.
Meh :/

VOLVO)))

Chuckled.

+1 Ranbat

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

fallen

I have a few and my favorite is the EQD Disaster Transport.

Last time I bought a delay I went into a shop and did my own mini shoot-out using the Diamond Memory Lane as a comparison with the EQD and the Empress Super Delay and a couple other things. I'd recommend doing this if you can manage it. Hearing them all side by side into a really nice clean amp is really cool.

JimBob83

I have a Electro Harmonix Memory Man with Hazari and the Boss RE20.  I got the Memory Man a few years ago and it is a very good delay pedal in my opinion.  There's lots of interesting modes on it (backwards delay, looping etc) and I found there to be no real detrimental effect on my overall tone.  The reason I got the RE20 as well is because the Memory Man uses presets so if you want to go in and start fiddling with settings it can be a real ballache.  I've had the RE20 for a couple of months now and find it to be all round a better pedal and would recommend it to anyone.  In terms of isolated power issues my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 has isolated outputs so I've had no issues with this.

jibberish

how does that memory lane II stack up against the crowd?

edit: that was random, but that is the only delay i have experience with. i think it is a great piece and does a bunch of stuff when you tweak things all different ways.
that is a way too expensive pedal but my son worked the dccalifornia booth at namm one year and scored it from the diamond guys as they were packing up for w/e $300, so it's in our shared pile of shit now heh...more canadian goodness i think.

more editz: btw, this thread is like a mini-course for me. those descriptions of like the dark delays getting eaten up with lows etc are really helpful and point out concepts i was clueless about.

lolmoreedits: i have one song using it. this is 2 guitars only. a non-echo sort of distorted one and a clean echo one. it is a random jam with myself that came out nice.
http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=61463052&ac=now

Instant Dan

A friend of mine has been really trying to talk me into the Line 6 Echo Park since he says it gets a realistic echoplex sound but in a more compact box. Anyone try?

VOLVO)))

Not bad. Shitty stomp switches. Only complaint. I use a line 6 dl4

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Stonergrunge

Since your previous delay was an analog device, my logical recommendation would be the Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Analog Delay, not as expensive as The Capistan and with two channels:

http://www.buyanalogman.com/Analog_Man_ARDX20_Dual_Analog_Delay_p/am-ardx20.htm
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love