Main Menu

baritone teles.....

Started by kirky, March 03, 2012, 11:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

just saw these....looks cool. don't have em at my guitar center....anybody played one? i've never played a baritone.....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleBTBariSB

mutantcolors

A guy in Boise makes bari stratocasters, I plinked on one for a little bit and wished I could hear it through my amp. I wouldn't recommend it if you're in to the floppy/mushy sound of tuning a 6 string real low. They are awesome but it's not the same. They have the characteristics of a guitar tuned to E, tension, clarity etc.

jibberish

could a short scale 6-string bass be used as a baritone guitar? maybe change the pickups.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: jibberish on March 04, 2012, 02:17:24 PM
could a short scale 6-string bass be used as a baritone guitar? maybe change the pickups.

Be heading toward 6 string tenor bass. Only difference might be if you are a bass player or guitar player. Super-contrabass.

Probably be fine with pickups as is.

Chovie D

baritones are great.
two basic sounds come from mine. the spaghetti western deep twang (without fuzz), and the crushing doom (with fuzz).
i have the eastwood sidejack baritone. I bet that fender is damn nice too.
I beleive Dylan from Earth was playing one of those.

clockwork green

I've yet to find a baritone scaled guitar to sound too to me for fuzzed out doom. The twang just doesn't go away. I like standard scaled guitars with big strings and lower tunings for the fuzzy stuff.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Chovie D

what I like and prefer about using a baritone for super low tunings is that the intonation stays troo as you go up the neck.
My superfuzz eliminates any residual twang and delivers teh crushing smooth doom.
The eastwood has P-90's not sure if that makes any diff.

I used to use a regular guitar for B and A tunings with 70 guage strings, but once I tried oot the bari, I was convinced it was the way to go.

the diddler

goddammnit..... must resist....

dunwichamps

if i wasnt already getting a baritone id jump all over a tele one

Corey Y

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 06, 2012, 01:26:42 PM

What kind of baritone are you getting?

dunwichamps

Quote from: Corey Y on March 06, 2012, 01:38:45 PM

custom made baritone V, with BKP p90s HB sized, tele type pot wiring, 5 way switching, walnut top, mahogany body.

Corey Y

Oh, right, I remember you posted about that before. Sweet, I look forward to hearing it.

I had been thinking about doing a Warmoth baritone build for a while. I'd be interested to see how it compares to a 24.75" scale guitar with the same tuning. I have my LP strung up with Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky set in baritone tuning.

grimniggzy

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 06, 2012, 01:46:38 PM
Quote from: Corey Y on March 06, 2012, 01:38:45 PM

custom made baritone V, with BKP p90s HB sized, tele type pot wiring, 5 way switching, walnut top, mahogany body.

Sick!

dunwichamps

Quote from: Corey Y on March 06, 2012, 01:58:39 PM
Oh, right, I remember you posted about that before. Sweet, I look forward to hearing it.

I had been thinking about doing a Warmoth baritone build for a while. I'd be interested to see how it compares to a 24.75" scale guitar with the same tuning. I have my LP strung up with Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky set in baritone tuning.

yea i also considered doing a warmoth build before i traded the #001 wizard for this guitar from a local custom builder. I want to tune to A Standard, this thing is 27" scale

Warmoth is not bad stuff to build, plug and chug IMO

Corey Y

I've been wanting to do a Warmoth build for a long time. If I can move the excess gear I'm trying to sell and the mortgage refi we're applying for goes through, I might be able to justify it.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Corey Y on March 06, 2012, 02:06:40 PM
I've been wanting to do a Warmoth build for a long time. If I can move the excess gear I'm trying to sell and the mortgage refi we're applying for goes through, I might be able to justify it.

u can always send me ur SC120, and ill give u a Gibson SG then u can sell that

Corey Y

Hmmmm, maybe, what model/finish SG? Shoot me some pics.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Corey Y on March 06, 2012, 02:36:02 PM
Hmmmm, maybe, what model/finish SG? Shoot me some pics.

ohh i was really just trolling, hardly think ud want my old SG, its just a special with the moon inlays and a set of EMGs in it.

probably only worth 400 not even what you could get on that SC120 if its in good condition

i was just busting balls really but if after all that ur still interested let me know

Corey Y

Oh, faded? Yeah, not interested. Consider my balls busted.

:P

dunwichamps

Quote from: Corey Y on March 06, 2012, 02:48:41 PM
Oh, faded? Yeah, not interested. Consider my balls busted.

:P

yea man minced and powdered hahah. Pretty much u just send SC120 free of charge

Corey Y

Sure, come pick it up at the Alamo...in the basement.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Corey Y on March 06, 2012, 03:47:58 PM
Sure, come pick it up at the Alamo...in the basement.

Ive only been there one time way back when I was young. I dont have anything else worth offering for it. i was just being a troll.
Did you try CL?

Corey Y

I haven't put it on CL yet, planning to if no one from here makes an offer. I might give it a go on Talkbass first. I'd rather sell it local and not ship, but nothing sells on CL here (I end up having to list stuff on the SF one usually) and I just get the most insane low ball offers and wastes of time.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Corey Y on March 06, 2012, 04:15:03 PM
I haven't put it on CL yet, planning to if no one from here makes an offer. I might give it a go on Talkbass first. I'd rather sell it local and not ship, but nothing sells on CL here (I end up having to list stuff on the SF one usually) and I just get the most insane low ball offers and wastes of time.

what are you looking to get for it?

Corey Y

$750 OBO I think, that's what I bought it for 8 years ago. Don't know if that's low or high for the market right now. I suspect everything is high for the market right now, I can't seem to sell even the best priced gear lately. That's the reason I've had such a hard time putting it up for sale. I never use it, but if I can only sell it for a really low price I'd rather just hold onto it since it's such a good amp.