Question about Gibson pick ups...

Started by Dr.Zayus, February 23, 2012, 07:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Zayus

Hey y'all. I took my humbuckers out of my SG special a few years back and never labeled which one was the neck one and which one was the bridge one. Is there any painless way to figure out which is which?

Thanks.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Cursed71

Quote from: Dr.Zayus on February 23, 2012, 07:42:08 PM
Hey y'all. I took my humbuckers out of my SG special a few years back and never labeled which one was the neck one and which one was the bridge one. Is there any painless way to figure out which is which?

Thanks.
Jason!  What's up man!  Its matt from Milwaukee.  You getting rid of the p90s?

Dr.Zayus

Hey Matt! Hope yer doin good, man!

Nah, I had a humbucker SG special that I put Mean 90s in a few years back and I'm selling the old Gibson ones to my bro. I just don't know how to tell which is which, but he's taking it to have a pro install them, so I guess said pro will be able to figure it out then.

What's up with Mother Orchis??

Jake

It's possible that the neck one will have a longer lead wire...? That might be a simple way to find out.
poop.

Cursed71

Quote from: Dr.Zayus on February 23, 2012, 10:04:50 PM

Nah, I had a humbucker SG special that I put Mean 90s in a few years back and I'm selling the old Gibson ones to my bro. I just don't know how to tell which is which, but he's taking it to have a pro install them, so I guess said pro will be able to figure it out then.

Ah I see, mean 90s rule, I have one as a neck pickup in my sg.  Rochelle and I are in a new(ish) band with our friend, Kieth.  Its fun and drama free!  Hows bout you?

Danny G

Yes, test it with a multimeter. The bridge with have a higher resistance rating.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

The Shocker

Quote from: Danny G on February 24, 2012, 10:39:15 AM
Yes, test it with a multimeter. The bridge with have a higher resistance rating.

Not Gibsons, but I have had some pickups that tested the same.

Worthless Willie

Look on the underside.  Sometimes, there's a little "R" or "T".

What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Mr. Foxen

If you are a grot and haven't cleaned them the tide line of filth round the edge might give you a clue.

Dr.Zayus

Quote from: Cursed71 on February 23, 2012, 10:57:23 PM

Ah I see, mean 90s rule, I have one as a neck pickup in my sg.  Rochelle and I are in a new(ish) band with our friend, Kieth.  Its fun and drama free!  Hows bout you?

I'm doin good. Jammin with Kelsey from Tarrakian and the drummer and bassist from Damnweevil. We're called Heavy Action https://www.facebook.com/HeavyAction*spam. Haven't recorded anything yet though.

Alright dudes, thanks for the advice. Turns out I sold the pick ups to my brother and he said he'd figure it out. Good to know in the future though.

Cursed71

Quote from: Dr.Zayus on March 01, 2012, 11:00:03 PM
Quote from: Cursed71 on February 23, 2012, 10:57:23 PM

I'm doin good. Jammin with Kelsey from Tarrakian and the drummer and bassist from Damnweevil. We're called Heavy Action https://www.facebook.com/HeavyAction*spam. Haven't recorded anything yet though.

Alright dudes, thanks for the advice. Turns out I sold the pick ups to my brother and he said he'd figure it out. Good to know in the future though.

That sounds pretty rock n' roll!  I think Roach mentioned you were doing something with some 70's attitude.  I was in a bar on the southside the other week and saw a Tarrakian sticker and Damnweevil sticker on a barstool. I toasted the barstool.