Main Menu

Downtuning on bass

Started by bbottom, February 23, 2012, 09:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Do you think that if you were to tune a bass into say C# standard that it would be better to do so on a short scale bass? By better I mean that the strings won't be as floppy.

MichaelZodiac

In my experience you lose some heaviness when playing on a short scale, even when you tune down. I like my floppy strings on my T-40, I'm currently tuned in B standard and playing with fingers is awesome.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

bbottom

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on February 23, 2012, 09:32:41 AM
In my experience you lose some heaviness when playing on a short scale, even when you tune down. I like my floppy strings on my T-40, I'm currently tuned in B standard and playing with fingers is awesome.

I detest floppy strings. Their was a time when i had a 5 string set of bass strings on my T40. I had the to file the nut and the saddles so that they would accomodate the bigger strings.
I really don't want to go through that again and since I only plan on playing a few songs in a really low tuning.... I figured that it would be easier to get a cheap short scale bass like an epi EB or something

neighbor664

If you want less floppy use heavier gauge strings, it's not rocket science. 

justinhedrick

it is just like a guitar: you wouldn't get a short scale guitar to tune down one. I see how you would think it could make sense, but just get a standard scale bass and heavier strings.

grimniggzy

I went from a MIM Fretless Fender Jazz to a SS Ampeg ADA4. Tuning was CGCG.
It actually helped me a little but I don't think you'll see too much of a difference.
After time I sort of realized the Fretless shouldn't have been tuned that low. I had to jack the action up so far that my strings dug into part of the neck above the nut just to not have them flopping around on the fretboard.
Once I realized what I had done & how stupid it was I was facepalming hard. Had to fill in the digs with JB Weld and at first did a horribly sloppy job but it got the job done... for a little while.

James1214

Quote from: neighbor664 on February 23, 2012, 10:11:43 AM

thats the motherfuckin gospel right there.

it is also my experience that if you play in a low tuning your intonation has a lot to do with string floppiness. it is well worth a) learning to intonate it yourself or b) getting it setup professionally.

in regards to the heavier gauge strings I have recently started using a 5 string set and I don't use the G string. so you would keep low the 130, 105, 85and 65. now i tune the strings "up" a half step higher to CFA#D#. the tension on the strings is way better then downtuning a set of 45-105's.
words

moose23

I do the same thing but find that a 125 set has enough tension and is a lot easier to play than a 130 set. Suppose it depends on how fast you play. For slow doomy stuff then it won't really matter but once you pick up the pace it's easier on a slightly lighter gauge string.

If you're using a short scale bass get a short scale 5 string set.

Quote from: James1214 on February 23, 2012, 12:40:51 PM
Quote from: neighbor664 on February 23, 2012, 10:11:43 AM

thats the motherfuckin gospel right there.

it is also my experience that if you play in a low tuning your intonation has a lot to do with string floppiness. it is well worth a) learning to intonate it yourself or b) getting it setup professionally.

in regards to the heavier gauge strings I have recently started using a 5 string set and I don't use the G string. so you would keep low the 130, 105, 85and 65. now i tune the strings "up" a half step higher to CFA#D#. the tension on the strings is way better then downtuning a set of 45-105's.

Mr. Foxen

Shorter scale = floppier strings. You want long the lower the tuning, hence basses being longer than guitars.

Ayek

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 23, 2012, 03:46:55 PM
Shorter scale = floppier strings. You want long the lower the tuning, hence basses being longer than guitars.

That should've been the first reply.

giantchris

I play in C# standard with a d'adario 105 set just fine on a normal scale length bass.  I would use heavier gauge strings and/or have someone cut a new nut for you.  I kinda feel like having the nut made for the tuning by someone that knows what they are doing gets you way better action then you just filing the one you have down.

mortlock

i used to play in c..my bass always seems to play better in lower tunings..

jibberish

more tension = less floppy

2 ways to get more tension to achieve a particular pitch.
both tweaks have inherently lower resonant frquencies than the "stock" setup if you will, all other things being equal.

1) make string longer, so you have to tighten it more to get the requisite pitch.
2) make string heavier gauge so you have to tighten it more to get the requisite pitch.

(i'm going for the "should have been the first answer" prize)

Ayek

How about 'best supporting answer for what should've been the first reply'

VOLVO)))

What the fuck is downtuning?

(Cant believe nobody made this joke yet CHOVIE D)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.