Main Menu

Stoner / Doom speakers?

Started by Ombrenuit, February 22, 2012, 09:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ombrenuit

I'm currently playing a custom orange or18 (that is a or120 with a Marshall 18w power section) and I need a speaker for it. I plan on using a single 1x12 because i'm only jamming with friends and playing bars.

Primarily I'm emulating four bands: Black Sabbath, Nebula, Fu Manchu, Electric
Wizard

Currently I've tried a g12h30 but I felt it was too bright with too much treble. I'm looking for a speaker that sounds fat, full, dark, and bassey.

This is for an open back cab. What would you guys recommend?

justinhedrick

eminence texas heats, or swamp thangs.

Ombrenuit

A lot of people have been recommending those. My initial expectation was that I should look at British voiced speakers rather than American.

How important is speaker breakup for the stoner sound? I was looking at 30w speakers to accomplish this with my 18w. However I have been told that the more distortion you use the less speaker breakup is desirable. Other sources have told me that speaker breakup is -the- stoner sound. Which is it?

The swamp things are 150 watts do there is no way my little 18w will be able to push them into breakup.

I will check them out though. Thanks for the recommendation!

dunwichamps

weber 65s, Weber axis 12s, Weber Silver Bells

clockwork green

The 20-watt Celestion EVH speakers are amazing. I threw one in an old tweed amp and I couldn't be happier. A lot of folks with real greenbacks think they're the only ones that compare to the vintage ones. I'm also a big EV 12L guy, even on small amps but it seems like you're looking for a more British sound.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Ombrenuit

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 22, 2012, 09:43:40 AM
weber 65s, Weber axis 12s, Weber Silver Bells

Thanks for the advice! I really dig your amps by the way! Saw some demos on YouTube.

I was looking at webers but I hadn't considered those. I will check them out :)

Has anyone had good experiences with hemp cones? Should I stay away from them?

dunwichamps

i dont have experience with the hemp, mine are paper. Speaker choice is all about if you want speaker distortion/compression or not. Thats a big deal

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ombrenuit

FYI for those interested, Jim from scumback recommended I go with a m75LHDC 65w.

Corey Y

I assume the Weber 65's are a clone of Celestion 65's. I have a 2x12 loaded with some (the original Celestions) and they have a sound that I would liken to G12-75's without so much mid scoop and fizzy sound on the highs. Tight, lots of lows, kind of compressed sounding. They can get a pretty nice thick and heavy sound. I'm on a speaker search right now myself, in choice overload. I've been thinking about something a bit more open with more upper mid/treble, leaning towards the Eminence Private Jack. It's all just second hand subjective opinion until you buy something and try it out though.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Corey Y on February 22, 2012, 12:58:54 PM
I assume the Weber 65's are a clone of Celestion 65's. I have a 2x12 loaded with some (the original Celestions) and they have a sound that I would liken to G12-75's without so much mid scoop and fizzy sound on the highs. Tight, lots of lows, kind of compressed sounding. They can get a pretty nice thick and heavy sound. I'm on a speaker search right now myself, in choice overload. I've been thinking about something a bit more open with more upper mid/treble, leaning towards the Eminence Private Jack. It's all just second hand subjective opinion until you buy something and try it out though.

yea they are a clone of the 65 Celestions.

Ombrenuit

I believe the m75lhdc is very similar to the celestion and weber 65s as well.

The Riffer

25w greenback is all of what you're asking for. My fave speaker by a mile. g12H 55z are good too. I'd love to thy the EVH speakers too.

I have both Weber 65s and swamp thangs. Stay away from both. STs are sterile and clinical, especially at lower volumes/power..
You might also consider the Weber Axis, I have one and it sounds pretty great with low watt amps., not especially warm, but has a very pleasing crunch.

FWIW, I had a quad of original Celestion65's and I really dont compare them to the Weber 65's. Webers sound quite a bit more bright and cold.

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

dunwichamps

if your looking for a deal try WGS speakers, little cheaper than Weber or any other brand.

I had an old Avatar cab with V30s and G12h30s, which sounded good but the cab construction sucked so it flapped the back baffle too hard under a heavy load.

the G12h30s are a nice lower wattage speaker, im not huge on the v30s nowadays

RacerX

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 22, 2012, 01:52:35 PM
if your looking for a deal try WGS speakers, little cheaper than Weber or any other brand.

I had an old Avatar cab with V30s and G12h30s, which sounded good but the cab construction sucked so it flapped the back baffle too hard under a heavy load.

In combination w/ G12H30s (like yer Aatar cab), they sound killer, tho.
Livin' The Life.

dunwichamps

Quote from: RacerX on February 22, 2012, 02:44:43 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on February 22, 2012, 01:52:35 PM

In combination w/ G12H30s (like yer Aatar cab), they sound killer, tho.

yea they did sound good til u hit the cab to hard then it got flubby (not the speakers tho)

Alex from Church of Wolves now has the cab with his 50W amps, so theres no problems there

Ombrenuit

Quote from: The Riffer on February 22, 2012, 01:34:58 PM
25w greenback is all of what you're asking for. My fave speaker by a mile. g12H 55z are good too. I'd love to thy the EVH speakers too.

I have both Weber 65s and swamp thangs. Stay away from both. STs are sterile and clinical, especially at lower volumes/power..

Thanks for the warning and your experience. Should I stay away from 65s in general or just the webers? Your description is definitely the opposite of the sound I'm going for.

dunwichamps

for reference this is weber 65s and weber axis speakers

The Riffer

Quote from: Ombrenuit on February 22, 2012, 02:58:13 PM

Thanks for the warning and your experience. Should I stay away from 65s in general or just the webers? Your description is definitely the opposite of the sound I'm going for.
Dont get me wrong, they work much better for high wattage situations where you are pushing tons of volume. But they don't sound like what you're asking for...I liked the old 65's I had, but they were pretty well beaten in.The Weber 65's , to my ears at least, haven't settled into the "warm" category yet...Its a well balanced sound, fairly detailed, and very present, but not ice picky..Good speaker I think, but not what I would call"warm".
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

ROWDYBEER

I'm not a huge fan of my weber 65's. I love lots of muff distortion and huge volume and the weber 65's defietally get ice picky and yeah not warm. I'm keeping an eye on this thread. Need some good options for speakers myself.

dunwichamps

Quote from: ROWDYBEER on February 22, 2012, 09:29:03 PM
I'm not a huge fan of my weber 65's. I love lots of muff distortion and huge volume and the weber 65's defietally get ice picky and yeah not warm. I'm keeping an eye on this thread. Need some good options for speakers myself.

u have 65s in ur emperor?

ROWDYBEER

Yes I do. 2 big 2x12's with the weber 65's.

dunwichamps

Quote from: ROWDYBEER on February 22, 2012, 10:46:59 PM
Yes I do. 2 big 2x12's with the weber 65's.

You might dig the Axis 12s, Fane style speaker, as Mark mentioned good crunch

mutantcolors

Am I the first guy to think that wanting a more British sound than a gh1230 is an odd thing to desire? Is that not akin to wanting something more sugary than sugar?