Main Menu

Pawn Shop

Started by Jor el, February 16, 2012, 03:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jor el

I was at that "Hardcore Pawn" joint this morning.

I don't know nothin' bout no drums.
What the Hell is this craziness?

What Would Scooby Do ?

I,Galactus

http://www.northdrums.org/

All's I know is that they look badical and that dudebro from THE BODY uses 'em.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

inductorguitars

To quote or paraphrase Jeff Pinkus "Sound is Round."

Jor el

So, mostly at pawn shops I come across Peavy stuff, mostly.

This joint has Ampeg, Kustom, and Sunn cabinets.
And a Sunn Alpha Slave.
What Would Scooby Do ?

VOLVO)))

Yup, north drums are my favorites!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Someone was selling a kit of those on our Craigslist a year or two ago. Apparently John Bonham sneezed on that style of drums once, so they're somewhat desirable in some circles.

They look like '70s bad cocaine decision making to me.
poop.

eddiefive10

Made famous by Chad Channing ex nirvana check out the inside of Bleach

fallen

There was another brand of these that was kind of bent down in the middle to make a whale mouth type opening. The bass drum looked like it was melted.

bbottom

I have a really hard time believing that those things sound good

apekillman

How much were they asking for them?   How was the other stuff priced?

Jor el

No prices on anything.
I have to go back there tomorrow. If I get a chance, I'll look into it.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Metal and Beer

I wonder what's up w/ that black twin humbucker hanging back there...set-neck obscura badassica maybe ? (it looks like it might be one of those Guilds that came w/ the weird electronics or something ??)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Jor el

Guild S-300?
I don't think it's wide enough.
I would've noticed a Guild.
They had the usual: Johnson, Silvertone, Cort, Magnum....

No Hondo, or Hondo II Longhorn  >:(
What Would Scooby Do ?

VOLVO)))

Those drums actually sound pretty fucking killer, honestly. They project a lot, they're made for maximum volume and dispersion. I'd love a set.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jor el

I found something for Choves.

What Would Scooby Do ?

VOLVO)))

The Whackmaster... or one of it's close relatives.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

gatorsnot

Billy Cobham played those drums for a bit so I'm sure they're a ok for sound.  Apparently Ludwig had a set of vistalites for Cobham to try but unfortunately they happened to be defective and split while he played them.  The story is he then went over to this brand and used those.  I think they look like total shit though.

Discö Rice

Lots of attack, not a full sound at all. They're good if you're not miking them, as they use the room they're in to fatten up the sound, but they really depend on the room, which can kinda suck if the stage is floor level and the room is full of people, or is solid concrete. I mean you'll definitely hear them. That design basically does to your drums what a megaphone would do to your voice (not quite as loud or harsh as that, but generally speaking.) They're not for me, but if you really want to get noticed, they'll do that for you.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

RacerX

I've heard 'em live in a medium sized room as played by the dood in The Body. They sounded decent & def. worked with their sound, but I prefer the tone of drums with bottom heads.
Livin' The Life.

Discö Rice

Quote from: RacerX on February 18, 2012, 05:30:17 PM
I've heard 'em live in a medium sized room as played by the dood in The Body. They sounded decent & def. worked with their sound, but I prefer the tone of drums with bottom heads.

Yeah I saw them in Brooklyn at St. Vitus, where the drum sound is awful 100% of the time anyway. I was kinda hoping they wouldn't mic the drums, since he was playing that North kit, but they did, and it sounded like buckets, along the usual blown speaker scrapey sound.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.