Mercury Magnetics in PV VK100

Started by FullCustom, February 15, 2012, 10:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullCustom

I put a Mercury Magnetics output transformer in a Peavey VK100 last week.  I made the biggest difference that I have ever seen in any amp. 

Mr. Foxen

FullCustom

Well first off the terrible parasitic oscillation is gone.  Also the presence and resonance controls work much better, the clean channel is super tight and gain channel is not rear as boxy sounding.   

dunwichamps

Quote from: FullCustom on February 15, 2012, 11:47:54 AM
Well first off the terrible parasitic oscillation is gone.  Also the presence and resonance controls work much better, the clean channel is super tight and gain channel is not rear as boxy sounding.   

yea the PO is probably because the bandwidth of the stock OT was very poor resulting in a poor NFB setup.

FullCustom

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 15, 2012, 11:59:07 AM

yea the PO is probably because the bandwidth of the stock OT was very poor resulting in a poor NFB setup.
The stock OT is pretty crappy.  If you disconnect the NFB the PO goes away.  You can snub is out with some .0068mf caps across the primary also.  I don't know why Peavey made these amps, they suck.  But the kids buy them, then I get them in my shop about a month later.  I had three in here last week.  Stock they sound awful.  With a better OT it was quite usable. 

dunwichamps

Quote from: FullCustom on February 15, 2012, 12:31:58 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on February 15, 2012, 11:59:07 AM

The stock OT is pretty crappy.  If you disconnect the NFB the PO goes away.  You can snub is out with some .0068mf caps across the primary also.  I don't know why Peavey made these amps, they suck.  But the kids buy them, then I get them in my shop about a month later.  I had three in here last week.  Stock they sound awful.  With a better OT it was quite usable. 

yea sound like a poorly placed poles in the feedback loop, the snubs will bandaid it but a poor OT sucks

RAGER

There's probably several amps out there that would benefit from upgraded iron.
No Focus Pocus

Mr. Foxen

Everything that hasn't got awesome iron. Except probably Marshalls, the Marshall tone is in the crappy OT.

RAGER

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 15, 2012, 03:51:30 PM
Everything that hasn't got awesome iron. Except probably Marshalls, the Marshall tone is in the crappy OT.
not my 69 super bass.  tone of gods 8)
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

well the bandwidth on those marshall PTs is usually limited which contribute to the feel

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: RAGER on February 15, 2012, 09:37:05 PM
Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 15, 2012, 03:51:30 PM
not my 69 super bass.  tone of gods 8)

Your Marshall doesn't sound like a Marshall? Gutted.