Main Menu

Barnacle-VS-Rat

Started by FullCustom, February 14, 2012, 10:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullCustom

Baltar

Wow.  I shoulda bought 10 Rat pedals when I lived in Kzoo with that damn LM308 chip.  I'm sure I coulda found 4 or 5 for $20-50.  I never really warmed up to the pedal, but I don't hate it either.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Discö Rice

That Rat sounds amazing. The Barnacle is a good sounding pedal, but it doesn't have that thick, gooey feel like the Rat.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

justinhedrick

i love my rats. if you max out the gain and turn the filter knob all the way clockwise, it gets pretty gnarly. i actually stack 2 right now (albeit with much lower gain settngs) and it sounds awesome.

grimniggzy

My RAT is the only dirt pedal I need. I only sprinkle in others for different flavors. My RAT is on 99% of the time I use my pedalboard.
Wish I could find older ones for $20-$50 today.
I did only spend $50 on mine, but it looks like it's been through at least a couple wars. The left & right sides have no more black paint and are now completely brown.
I use mine on a lower gain/od setting
dist @ 9 o'clock
filter @ 3 o'oclock
& volume dimed

justinhedrick

Quote from: grimniggzy on February 14, 2012, 03:11:01 PM
My RAT is the only dirt pedal I need. I only sprinkle in others for different flavors. My RAT is on 99% of the time I use my pedalboard.
Wish I could find older ones for $20-$50 today.
I did only spend $50 on mine, but it looks like it's been through at least a couple wars. The left & right sides have no more black paint and are now completely brown.
I use mine on a lower gain/od setting
dist @ 9 o'clock
filter @ 3 o'oclock
& volume dimed

yep, i have my lm308 rat set up basically the same as you, except i have the filter cranked all the way clockwise, then that runs into a non 308 rat (it sounds sharper, i guess you could say) that is set up with drive at noon, filter at 3 o'clock, and level at 3 or 4 o'clock.

FullCustom

I had no idea this video would be this popular here.  I should have posted it earlier.  The rat in video has the SK version of the LM308.  I still have a few somewhere.  We should have had the treble control on the Barnacle just a bit higher to sound more like the Rat, but we filmed nine demos that day. 

grimniggzy

for some reason I hate the look of the slanted rat's. Mine is a straight up square box.

justinhedrick

Quote from: grimniggzy on February 14, 2012, 04:55:22 PM
for some reason I hate the look of the slanted rat's. Mine is a straight up square box.

so is mine. square box vintage rat.

FullCustom

**And then I gave up and started building rat clones**
The luthier/part owner here at Full Custom played a Rat for years.