Germanium, Silicon, JFET, or MOSFET?

Started by Baltar, February 12, 2012, 09:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baltar

Lay it on me...I really can't decide between Si and Ge.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

dunwichamps

im really partial to the Aluminum Gallium Arsenide, or Gallium Nitride High Electron Mobility Transistors

Glitchyghost

Hard decision.  Playing live, I'm strictly silicon or FETs.  I love the sound of FET circuits - they clean up nice with the guitar volume knob, just like Ge.  The Orman Mini Boost... amazing little circuit.  Try replacing the final recovery stage on the Muff with one.  Super sonic!

But I love using germanium for recording.

bitter

I use Si, GE, and JFET. Just depends on my mood/play style (i.e. what pedal I'm using).

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

moose23

What pedal are you deciding for? They've all got their uses imo.

Baltar

The Fat Boost 1 by Fulltone is the Orman circuit.  That's why he stopped making it, got sued.  It is pure magic.  I have a Tonebender and a Muff, but I was leaning towards a Rangemaster. 

Glitchyghost

There are a ton of builders using the Orman boost.  The Catalinbread people incorporate it in a good number of their pedals.

Can't go wrong with a Rangemaster though, for sure.   Classic.  Are you building it yourself?

Baltar

Fuck no, I'm kinda done building for a while.  I'm using my MKII as a quasi-Range Master now.  I really wanted the Lovepedal Amp50 too.  But I got a deal on an NYC Muff, and I'm on a budget.

VOLVO)))

How'd you get burnt out so fast, Baltar?

JFET/MOSFET for me, but on the Pharaoh I run it in diode-less mode.

I want a Subdecay F-bomb something fierce..
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Fuhgawz

I like to boost my amp with a Colorsound Overdriver clone, which has silicon transistors, so I voted that. I also use a Klon clone for leads, which uses IC's, like Tube Screamer type pedals, so maybe that option should be added to the poll? I really like the transparency of JFET-circuits though, so maybe I should try to replace (some of) the transistor stages in the Colorsound Overdriver with JFETs.

Also, most importantly, which circuit or type of circuit are we talking about? A germanium Fuzz Face can't really be compared to a Jack Orman Mosfet boost. Apples and oranges!

Baltar

We're talking about any and all circuits, just was curious to see what everyone uses.  It's a Platinum Age for effects we're living in.  I've been modding pedals since my first Mem Man back in '00, I just don't have any I need to mod anymore.  I mostly did 'em for friends and I'm happy with everything on my board right now.

And I'm adding IC's to the choices.