Give me some pickup recommendations, please

Started by franksnbeans, February 09, 2012, 12:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

franksnbeans

I just want it to sound raw and ugly.

I'm putting it into a silvertone paul stanley sovereign pro, 12-52 gauge light jazz strings, and through a sovtek mig 100u, with lots of overdrive and holy grail reverb.

franksnbeans

the darn guitar is made of agathis.  What does that mean for the pickups?

justinhedrick

Quote from: franksnbeans on February 14, 2012, 05:23:33 PM

well, very little, honestly.

RacerX

Quote from: franksnbeans on February 14, 2012, 05:23:33 PM

You'll be mounting them on Agathis.
Livin' The Life.

franksnbeans

Okay, I got this dimarzio x2n pickup put in my guitar and it totally sucks!  The old pickup wasn't that great, but this one loses all feeling.  I gotta take it out and return it now.  Fuck! 

neighbor664

It sounds crazy, but for $5 get some sprague orange caps from GFS, use your stock pickups, roll off the tone just a bit. Be amazed! I am serious, it will breath new life into your stock pick-ups.

The Riffer

X2N does suck..ah well, now you can verify that.

I'll re-up my advice of the MotorCity Afwayu. You wont be disappointed.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

franksnbeans

Yeah, you all were right.  The x2n is not what I wanted.  It sounds like a bc rich or jackson shit-tone.  They got no feeling.

Those motorcity's are a little pricey though.  Plus, which one would you recommend?  Where can I find some soundbites of those?

aowron

Using http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fat-Pat-Boutique-Humbucker-Chrome_c_43.html in my SG. They have that lustrous "wide", and "open" sound (not sounding compressed), while still being high output (10k neck, 14k bridge). Basically hot-wound PAF pickup copies.

You should really check out GFS pickups; especially since you won't have to deal with customs, awful shipping rates etc. Even though they are cheap, they don't sound cheap

Edit: by the way, I've heard that agathis basically is "rich man's plywood"; i.e. really dead sounding, though I've also heard that it can sound pretty ok. Anyone got any experience with it? Do all agathis geetars sound dead or are there actually some examples of agathis fiddles which doesn't sound dead?

mutantcolors

LOL.

You're welcome for all the good recommendations!

VOLVO)))

I'll suggest GFS pickups, again, but this time you'll buy some stock pickups out of an Ibanez on ebay, I think. Good luck to ya!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

Just want to throw in my .02 on the gfs suggestions. I have a hagstrom that was really noisy so I swapped the stock pups and wiring with a gfs wiring/pots/caps kits and a set of fat pats. I will say they are an improvement over the hags stock '58 style buckers and reduced the noise.

But there is one downside... they sound a little cold and sterile when compared to the stock paf style pups in both my hag and agile. They're not bad (still very usable), just not really juicy or as lively as the stock agiles. I didn't want any thing higher output but they left me wanting a little more juiciness. Not sure why that is but it could be the hag as it has always felt like a lemon to me. 
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

Send that motherfucker to me, I'll make it play like fire. FAT PATS are the cheapest option from GFS, drop the extra ten bucks and get the best you can from 'em. It makes a difference...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

franksnbeans

I'm buying my brother's 490's that came out of his sg.  They were replaced in his sg with gfs p90's if that makes you all happy?  :)

VOLVO)))

Quote from: franksnbeans on February 23, 2012, 12:36:47 AM
I'm buying my brother's 490's that came out of his sg.  They were replaced in his sg with gfs p90's if that makes you all happy?  :)

Well, at least you didn't buy some chinese surplus pickups in bulk from a Nigerian named Mumumbo.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

franksnbeans

well, there is a flea market this weekend...

bitter

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 23, 2012, 12:25:07 AM
Send that motherfucker to me, I'll make it play like fire. FAT PATS are the cheapest option from GFS, drop the extra ten bucks and get the best you can from 'em. It makes a difference...

I got it setup so it's playing fine, but it just pales in comparison to that agile I asked you about a while back. Just a better player in every way out of box and was cheaper. I also use it with lighter strings and D standard as apposed to the C stnd heavy strings on the hag, so I wonder if that's the reason? Plus the agile has a thicker cap so it's a lot less dark than the hag.

VOLVO)))

Nah, strings shouldn't make that big of a difference. Maybe there's something else afoot. I always go for as heavy as I can for the tuning I'm in... 58-11 in Eb. B... 68-14

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

Yeah I scaled down from skinny top heavy bottoms to those dunlop heavy cores. kinda liking .09's-.10's sets currently.

mutantcolors

I use the biggest shit available to me, it just sounds...bigger. Derpish statement but that's how it is.

I like the Ernie Ball Power slinkies, large w/o requiring nut filing. 13-54 off the top of my head with a plain .22 3rd string. And jazz III or big stubby picks. I can't believe I used to use a .68 dunlop. Might as well be paper. The pick makes more difference than anything.

VOLVO)))

Daddario 4 lyfw. Higher tension. Gator grip 2.0s

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.