Give me some pickup recommendations, please

Started by franksnbeans, February 09, 2012, 12:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franksnbeans

for my guitar.   It came with duncan design brand pickups that aren't doing the job.

What I am looking for are some humbucker pickups to give a good tone for crushing doom and black metal guitar without all the mud.

(EDITED FOR POLITENESS.  ;D ;D ;D)

VOLVO)))

Well, since you said please, I'll offer GFS pickups of almost any type. Mid-output pickups are usually the best, they maintain clarity and are perfect for doom.

May I suggest Humbucker sized P90s?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

franksnbeans

Pretty please, with sugar on it.

mid-output.  A lot of people use those p90's.  How do they sound for black metal?

neighbor664

F&B, I know your bro has a guitar with some of those Mean 90's. Maybe he'd let you give 'em a spin.

mutantcolors

Those are the exact pick ups I would recommend. I have no idea what ridiculous gobs of distortion people are after when they tell me that 90s don't get enough distortion, because I can get way more than plenty.

everything on my bandcamp was done with a mean 90 loaded mockingbird except for the solo in Death Perception. I'll let you decide, but I fucking love 'em and I have for years.

http://psychedelicsexorgan.bandcamp.com/

VOLVO)))

The Mean 90's will give you more of a jangle if you EQ bright, but they certainly mix for black metal... I did this with a tele, hahaha.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

clarity of a single (if you want it) with all the power of a bucker. They'll fuzz up real quick if that's what you're after

franksnbeans

Okay, cool..but I looked up the p90 pickups and there's a dimarzio, a gibson one, a seymour duncan one, etc...

Which one would you suggest?

franksnbeans

Yeah, they're all hella economically priced.  How do they do that?

mutantcolors

Says right there. No dealers, just direct. Those are the pick ups I use. No more buckers for me.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: yesca on February 09, 2012, 03:37:32 AM
maybe a Lace Drop & Gain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI3A7b0V6Ew

scott wino approved

Great tone there. I'm really glad I bought an SM57, looking forward to using it.

Some folks in this thread said that these pups have an almost active type sound and stay clear sounding-
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2541312-Lace-drop-n-gain

Guitar tone is such a massive thing. From your pick style to strings on down through and to the speakers there are so many ways to tweak things. It's kind of maddening actually.

franksnbeans

The lace & drop sound good, but I can't tell if it's wino or his guitar that makes it sound so good.  It says they're especially made for drop D tuning.  I usually play in C.  It might make it too bassy?

mutantcolors

Ever thought you were thinking way too hard?

When was the last time some doom guy spouted off about getting pick ups specifically for like, drop G or whatever?

franksnbeans

Well, I don't wanna spend a bunch of cash on a crappy guitar to continue the crappy sounds.

The Riffer

Look at Motorcity Pickups. I've tried about every medium output pickup out there, I'll never use anything but his stuff again. If you want something a little hotter look at the Afwayu, hot like a Super D. and cleans up like a PAF.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Beasleyboy

Check out BKP Warpigs or Pig 90's (P90 version, I have these in my SG and they're absolutely perfect for doom. Absolutely HUGE and clear low end)

VOLVO)))

Quote from: franksnbeans on February 13, 2012, 03:49:52 PM
Thanks for the help, but I went against the grain and got me one of these:  http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP102-X2N-Pickup-302021-i1127585.gc?source=4TEM8XOC

Ask for recommendations.

Does the total opposite of what is recommended.

Rad.

The X2N is super hot. Cool, though. John Petrucci approved.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

franksnbeans

The x2n is in the chuck shuldiner tribut bc rich guitar.  I think it may be right for black metal and stuff. 

That's just for the bridge though.

What should I use for the neck?

I,Galactus

Sounds like you need to get one of these 90's urrbody talkin bout.

That way ya got black in the bridge, doom in the neck, blackened doom in the middle.

/compromise
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

clockwork green

You'll never vet the exact perfect pickup on here...too many factors. You may have the same guitar, amp, pedals and tuning as someone else and love their sound but their string brand, pick position or touch may make your setup sound like crap. Just look for the right ballpark and either hope you get lucky or try and build around that sound. I have AlNiCo Warpig's in two Gibson V's with the same strings and action but to me each guitar sounds quite a bit different. Another huge tip that an absurd number of people overlook is pickup height. Super minor adjustments to the entire pickup or pole-pieces can change the sound quite a bit.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

mawso

Quote from: franksnbeans on February 13, 2012, 03:49:52 PM
Thanks for the help, but I went against the grain and got me one of these:  http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP102-X2N-Pickup-302021-i1127585.gc?source=4TEM8XOC

seems an odd choice, given your initial specs and all

I would have said a BKP nailbomb or painkiller

it's all kinda just spitballin tho, given that we don't know what gat you're puttin it in, or what you're plugging it into