Fu Manchu gear question????

Started by hayseed, February 04, 2012, 06:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

The last time i saw Fu Manchu they were using Marshall JCM2000 TSL 100's with 2x1960 cabs. I can recall them using very minimal pedals but they did use something like a fuzz or distortion in front of the amp. Anybody know what kind of pedal FM uses to get that thick milky distortion?  

Its a dumb question but I would like to thicken up my TSL for future endeavors.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

RAGER

i actually don't have the faintest care
No Focus Pocus

hayseed

"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

hayseed

I remembered it being an orange box! I found a couple sites that said it was a Fuzz Face and a couple that said it was an "ordinary Fuzz", whatever that is. Thank you for the answer.

Corey Y

They have a section on their website that details all their gear. Plus Bob has a website, playthisriff.com, that has Fu Manchu song lessons and some gear rundowns.

Glitchyghost

For whatever reason, Rager enjoys spending the energy to answer posts with general rudeness and negativity.  I guess that works for him.

However, Fu Manchu's bass player, Brad, makes pedals, and is very accessible.   He would tell you exactly what Fu uses if you asked him.   He makes a version of Superfuzz as well. 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Creepy-Fingers-Effects/116391141734461

hayseed

Quote from: Corey Y on February 04, 2012, 08:14:57 PM
They have a section on their website that details all their gear. Plus Bob has a website, playthisriff.com, that has Fu Manchu song lessons and some gear rundowns.

Bob's website is very cool. Thanks.
I actually just learned about Brad making pedals about 5 minutes ago.. Thanks for the link! I am going to check it out. What company made the Super Fuzz originally? I was thinking it was a Univox but i could be wrong.

Glitchyghost

Jake

If I'm not mistaken, a big part of their "signature" fuzz sound that shines through on the early albums came from a Crown fuzz, no?
poop.

RAGER

Honesty isn't the best approach??  Fuck that.
No Focus Pocus

mutantcolors

S-ing TFU was the best response. You chose poorly if unless you were out for second best.

mawso

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Pooping on legitimate threads that you're not even interested in is considered bad form. I've done it. You're better off clicking over to something else.

"In Search Of..." has some of the best sounding fuzz guitar ever recorded IMO.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

The people gettin all bent out of shape are new people here until I read Lumpy's post.  Come on Lumpy.  sheesh :-\

So I recommend staying out of General Disc.  You will get hurt.
No Focus Pocus

Mr Neutron

IIRC, the band had a bunch of gear stolen around California Crossing time, supposedly why that album isn't as overly fuzzy as the previous releases.

i could be remembering incorrectly.
"Where words fail, music speaks."

hayseed

This is a forum for gear and the people that play it right? Yeah, i dont go to the GD board because its not really relevant  to discuss how a fart smells or which teen pop star you jack off to. Don't care and highly doubt anyone could "get hurt" from a discussion board. Don't be an elitist, man....Nobody likes it and most importantly, that really hurts a scene. Just saying...

Moving on.......
I couldn't find any info on the Crown Fuzz. I was really surprised by their choice in amp heads. It just seems like the JCM 2000 series is not preferred to play "this" type of music. I am not sure what the deal is with the Peavey Standard head in Scott Hill's gear, I am guessing that he ABY's them to separate cabs. I missed a chance a couple months back to pick up a Dan Armstrong/Ampeg guitar(not see thru). I decided to grab a Blacktop Tele instead(very happy with that purchase btw).

I have been in the market for a fuzz pedal for a while. I think with this little exploration i may have my search narrowed down a bit finally. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

moose23

Quote from: hayseed on February 05, 2012, 01:49:20 PM
This is a forum for gear and the people that play it right? Yeah, i dont go to the GD board because its not really relevant  to discuss how a fart smells or which teen pop star you jack off to. Don't care and highly doubt anyone could "get hurt" from a discussion board. Don't be an elitist, man....Nobody likes it and most importantly, that really hurts a scene. Just saying...

Moving on.......
I couldn't find any info on the Crown Fuzz. I was really surprised by their choice in amp heads. It just seems like the JCM 2000 series is not preferred to play "this" type of music. I am not sure what the deal is with the Peavey Standard head in Scott Hill's gear, I am guessing that he ABY's them to separate cabs. I missed a chance a couple months back to pick up a Dan Armstrong/Ampeg guitar(not see thru). I decided to grab a Blacktop Tele instead(very happy with that purchase btw).

I have been in the market for a fuzz pedal for a while. I think with this little exploration i may have my search narrowed down a bit finally. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

The Peavey Standard and Dan Armstrong are in homage to Greg Ginn/Black Flag. Crown Fuzz is very similar to a SuperFuzz and Creepy Fingers Rising fuzz is apparently a clone of the Crown. The TSLs are a recent (2000s) addition but I'm not sure what amps they used before them.

bitter

I think they were using ampeg (reverb rockets???) prior to the tsl's. I don't recall what came before those though.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

hayseed

Quote from: moose23 on February 05, 2012, 03:09:19 PM

The Peavey Standard and Dan Armstrong are in homage to Greg Ginn/Black Flag. Crown Fuzz is very similar to a SuperFuzz and Creepy Fingers Rising fuzz is apparently a clone of the Crown. The TSLs are a recent (2000s) addition but I'm not sure what amps they used before them.

So the Peavey is ABY'd through one of the cabs then?
I don't recall him having the Peavey when i saw them last, but it could have been borrowed equipment or something to that nature.

The Shocker

Quote from: hayseed on February 05, 2012, 01:49:20 PM

Moving on.......

Looks like Crowns were rebadges:

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/crown/superfuzz

Instant Dan

Quote from: moose23 on February 05, 2012, 03:09:19 PM
The TSLs are a recent (2000s) addition but I'm not sure what amps they used before them.

Scott used a Mesa Boogie Mark model on the earlier albums and Eddie Glass used a Master Volume 100 watt Marshall head. I remember reading that Bob Balch used vintage Marshalls in the studio but used the DSL/TSL stuff on the road.

Baltar

Which teen pop star should I jack off to?
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.