Main Menu

Near Gear Day

Started by dunwichamps, February 01, 2012, 08:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Nice work. You've made that one look just like an Ampeg V4!
poop.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Jake on February 01, 2012, 08:37:14 PM

yea I went to the past and cloned a V4 then planted it for me in da future!!!!!!!

Marty would be proud.

Fucker rips

bitter

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 01, 2012, 08:56:46 PM
Quote from: Jake on February 01, 2012, 08:37:14 PM

yea I went to the past and cloned a V4 then planted it for me in da future!!!!!!!

Marty would be proud.

Fucker rips

Would that technically be called a B-4 then  ;D
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

dunwichamps

clockwork green

"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

RAGER

Horizontal stripes are not slimming.
No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

Quote from: clockwork green on February 01, 2012, 10:47:31 PM
Have fun re-tubing it.

think im going to slap some KT88s in it!!!

VOLVO)))

They don't fit, do they? 7027A's are still available!

What'd you pay?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 01, 2012, 11:33:00 PM
They don't fit, do they? 7027A's are still available!

What'd you pay?

575, but it was already recapped, and teched recently and i checked the work before I bought it to double check. Looked nice

It has the original Magnavox 7027s in it, along with some original or old preamp tubes

It sounds nice

The KT88 would fit if I removed the retainers. I can buy JJ 7027s i know

clockwork green

Don't forget the oddball preamp tubes. How many tubes are there in total, 10 or so? I never bonded with my V4. The sound of the power tubes cranked was a little ratty sounding for me.

grimniggzy

Nice, thats one amp I've always wanted to get my hands on.

Blueberry Lazer

Congrats on that score

my bassist uses mine and he sounds great through it. mine has 6l6s and the amp tech here in panama shitty says he can only get 80 watts out of it. i like it but it breaks up pretty early which is contrary to everything i read about these amps. i would love to throw some 6550's in it and see if that helps.

grimniggzy

I think I'd like a V4 b/c they're not an SVT and you don't have to be at stadium volume to get it to break-up.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Blueberry Lazer on February 02, 2012, 10:52:49 AM
Congrats on that score

my bassist uses mine and he sounds great through it. mine has 6l6s and the amp tech here in panama shitty says he can only get 80 watts out of it. i like it but it breaks up pretty early which is contrary to everything i read about these amps. i would love to throw some 6550's in it and see if that helps.

with 4 6L6s? that's a bit conservative. I think you can get something like 28-30 watts out of each, right?

dunwichamps

I probably could sub in 6550s or Kt88s with a little modding but the 7027s are fine for now, JJ makes em so if I plan on playing more than usual I can swap those tubes in.

dunwichamps

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 02, 2012, 11:29:57 AM
Quote from: Blueberry Lazer on February 02, 2012, 10:52:49 AM
Congrats on that score

with 4 6L6s? that's a bit conservative. I think you can get something like 28-30 watts out of each, right?

umm thats DC dissipation, different than AC power. 6l6GCs have a DC diss of 30W so you can get like maybe 60W per pair of AC power

Blueberry Lazer

There is only one guy in Panama City who works on tube amps. i have always found his practices and opinions to be questionable but when i did a google search to find "Ampeg V4 repairmen" in florida, his name popped up on several websites with a brief write up of him and how great he is at working with the old v4 models. This was 4 or 5 years ago. Anywho, this guy tells me he can only get 80 watts out of my v4 and that there is no difference between 6l6's and 7027s other than an extra pin. bob from eurotubes also acts like there is no difference between a jj6l6gc and a jj 7027 other than an extra pin. i have no technical knowledge of how tube amps work, but my buddy sunnbopp, tells me he thinks i would get more wattage with 7027 and that i should just go ahead and have it modded to 6550s. my local amp tech says 6550's aren't a good idea and to avoid JJ tubes like the plague .Talk about a cluster fuck. That's why i just let my bassist use it, it sounds great with all that natural break up on bass. Opinions?

dunwichamps

there isnt a huge difference between 7027s and 6L6s other than a pin change around. they have identical voltage ratings.

Probably hitting more than 80W, the plate voltage in that amp is 540V and the screens arent much lower so I would say atleast 100 and more when u crank it up

the 6550s draw more heater current than a 7027 so they can stress the VA rating on the PT so i also wouldn't recommend them given the extra heater pull

However a JJ 7027 probably aint bad and better than any other modern production. NOS are not cheap

bbottom

My V4 doesn't have a polarity switch.... what exactly does that do?

clockwork green

Reverses the rotation of the Earth

VOLVO)))

Quote from: clockwork green on February 10, 2012, 10:21:49 PM
Reverses the rotation of the Earth

My hero.

6l6s in the v4 hurts my feelings. It's like EL34s in a Model T. Get some 6550s for it, Ben. That headroom will return. It seems like that amp would destroy 6l6s if used with major volume. The v4 is somewhat of an oddity, ampwise. Panama City tube amp guy sounds foul.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: bbottom on February 10, 2012, 10:05:24 PM

I assume like many old amps its a cap from one side of the mains to ground in this case the polarity changes if the cap is on the live or neutral AC lines.

SoupKitchen

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 11, 2012, 10:17:36 AM
Quote from: bbottom on February 10, 2012, 10:05:24 PM

I assume like many old amps its a cap from one side of the mains to ground in this case the polarity changes if the cap is on the live or neutral AC lines.

The same thing as a Fender ground switch, then. "Death Cap". Wouldn't it be better to bypass it and leave it in the amp?

dunwichamps

Actually best to remove it or is that what you mean by bypass it