Main Menu

ears ring all the time

Started by liquidsmoke, January 30, 2012, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

When I'm in a quiet room. At my last doctor visit he said he couldn't see any wax by my eardrums. Is this probably mild hearing loss? Fuck.

justinhedrick

Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 30, 2012, 09:53:31 AM
When I'm in a quiet room. At my last doctor visit he said he couldn't see any wax by my eardrums. Is this probably mild hearing loss? Fuck.

or too much salt in your diet. or both. probably hearing loss.

moose23

Sounds like tinnitus which isn't necessarily hearing loss just ringing in your ears due to exposure to loud music. Get some ear plugs asap!

bass sic

I would suggest a nice motörhead show, ASAP. Should clear it right up.

justinhedrick

Quote from: bass sic on January 30, 2012, 10:26:41 AM

ah yes, to borrow from an old colloquialism "it'll blow the cobs out".

moose23

Quote from: bass sic on January 30, 2012, 10:26:41 AM

Of just call round hemi's gaff and stick your head in one of his folded horn cabs.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: justinhedrick on January 30, 2012, 10:19:03 AM

or too much salt in your diet. or both. probably hearing loss.

Actually it has seemed worse over the last week and over the last week I've been eating these delicious baked almonds with sea salt. I will reluctantly switch to no salt almonds and see if that makes any difference. I haven't had band practice in months and haven't been jamming that loud on my own lately.

I always wear earplugs at practice although I will be switching to in ear monitors. If they don't protect my hearing enough I'll upgrade the earbuds.

bass sic

I wish I could wear plugs at practice, they make me tone deaf. Or more tone deaf anyway. I wear plugs and muffs all day at work around the planes, just not playing.

Demon Lung

it's gotten pretty major when they start ringing nonstop

Volume

Quote from: bass sic on January 30, 2012, 11:06:17 AM
I wish I could wear plugs at practice, they make me tone deaf. Or more tone deaf anyway. I wear plugs and muffs all day at work around the planes, just not playing.

From experience, I don't recommend tinnitus and/or hearing loss. Get better earplugs. It's too late to fix once you get it.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Demon Lung on January 30, 2012, 11:07:06 AM
it's gotten pretty major when they start ringing nonstop

Fuck. They ring nonstop now. I can still hear fine though, I think.

Lumpy

You can't reverse hearing loss. Also I know from experience that it sneaks up on you. I used to be the "it's not too loud, make it louder" type. Now I ask people to repeat what they're saying, I have to lean in to hear conversations etc.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Demon Lung

My dad used to build engines for an extremely popular dead NASCAR driver. My dads ears started ringing when he was about 27. They haven't stopped and it's so bad that he hears the ringing 24 hours a day. It's not going to get better because the damage is done and until stem cell research is approved you will be fucked. And we know that the republicans will refuse to approve stem cell research

bloodofkings

When was the last time you checked your blood pressure? I have an arrhythmia and high blood pressure. One of the first things I noticed was tinnitus and I chalked it up to not wearing ear plugs as often as I should and playing loud and going to shows without ear plugs. Then a few weeks later I went into the hospital with the arrhythmia and extremely high blood pressure. As soon as I started the medication for the arrhythmia which also lowered my blood pressure the tinnitus was barely noticeable. I now even know when I forget to take my medication by my ears suddenly starting to ring.
I can't crap for shit.

core9

I've had tinnitus since the mid 90's.  Started wearing ear plugs at practice and shows....hasn't gotten much worse, but as stated it will most likely not get much better either.  Mine ring 24 hrs a day.  Had my hearing checked recently and only had slight loss up in the 12K range.  It's from cymbals.  I used to drum in a thrash band back in the day and my left ear(hi-hat side) is worse than my right.

I was warned many times......but when your a kid you don't give a fuck ya know?

dunwichamps

Quote from: core9 on January 30, 2012, 08:42:29 PM
I've had tinnitus since the mid 90's.  Started wearing ear plugs at practice and shows....hasn't gotten much worse, but as stated it will most likely not get much better either.  Mine ring 24 hrs a day.  Had my hearing checked recently and only had slight loss up in the 12K range.  It's from cymbals.  I used to drum in a thrash band back in the day and my left ear(hi-hat side) is worse than my right.

damn sorry to contribute to your deafness. Im pretty bad I never wear plugs at your shows or when we jammed the amps.

The Shocker

I've had it a long time and I've gotten used to it.  Heavy drinking makes it more noticeable as does aspirin for some reason. 

Mr. Foxen

Before forming Caricatures I was sort of lined up to replace the bassist in Mea Culpa, on a train journey with the guy I realised he was deaf as a post from Ben's amp pointing right at him, so I bought some ER20s right away, and have carried them with me ever since, doing loud stuff without them seems a bit weird now.

cat shepard

I protect the shit out of my ears. I can hear like a motherfucker!

liquidsmoke

My blood pressure is fine, always has been. Cymbals are loud as fuck, I agree.

core9

Quote from: dunwichamps on January 30, 2012, 08:50:41 PM

damn sorry to contribute to your deafness. Im pretty bad I never wear plugs at your shows or when we jammed the amps.

Ya, when I was giving the Wizard it's initial run through it was 3 hours of full on volume with no plugs.  You have to get the tone right and that cannot be done with plugs in.   :P

dunwichamps

hope it wasnt like Marty in the opener to back to the future

Pundan

When I'm in a "silent environment" I can always hear a slightly ringing sound. I have gotten so used to it that I don't think about it anymore, but it's a reminder to not make it any worse. Seriously, get some proper ear buds and take care of them by cleaning them often as it will extend their life greatly. It's a major difference in construction ear buds and musician-ones. Sure, they can be expensive as fuck but in the long run it's worth it.