Main Menu

Fuck tubes!

Started by VOLVO))), January 29, 2012, 10:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

425 bucks total, shipped, to retube this Dual Rec, and Peavey Heritage VTX and my Model T! The fuck!

I should just get Ampeg SS-150s and be done with this tube shit! Christ :(
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bloodofkings

I play a 76 SVT. Tubes alone run me $300. I know your pain. After the tech it's around $350.
I can't crap for shit.

RacerX

If you retube all yer amps at the same time, it's going to hurt. Try to rotate that shit.
Livin' The Life.

justinhedrick

Quote from: RacerX on January 30, 2012, 08:42:37 AM
If you retube all yer amps at the same time, it's going to hurt. Try to rotate that shit.

agreed. and while you're at it, pick up a peavey bandit!

liquidsmoke

50 watt Laney head for the win  ;D

I may hang onto my Randall though, it's useable.

VOLVO)))

The boogie and the T get used in conjunction with one another. The T's tubes were shot anyway, the boogie's died trying to make up for the T. Haha.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

I forgot to say, that sucks dude. How often do you have to have these amps retubed?

dunwichamps

depends on how hard u play on them

grimniggzy

damn, that's steep. I don't see myself ever taking the leap into tubes unless I'm able to get some ridiculous deal on a really awesome amp.

dunwichamps

best thing is to own less amps or u could ask me for CEDist discount on tubes.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: dunwichamps on January 30, 2012, 11:17:27 AM
depends on how hard u play on them

Yeah I was wondering how often he personally has to retube. I think you're right on to suggest less amps.

FullCustom

Solid State amps blow up too.  My business is 50/50 tube vs SS. 

Corey Y

That's just the cost of doing business when you're rocking multiple high powered tube amps. That's one of the main reasons I stick to lower wattage amps most of the time, plenty of volume and less tubes to replace.

Wanna buy my SS-150? I never use it  :P

dunwichamps

Mr. Foxen

I have 4 sound City 120s to revalve shortly, I order from Hong Kong, less steps in the supply chain and the new Chinese Shuguangs are really good, they must have made new machines while the Russian ones are made on clapped out old machines, and they are really cheap if you skip out some middle men.

VOLVO)))

Nick, pm me the prices for 6l6gcs and 6550s! I priced through eurotubes.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 30, 2012, 02:07:46 PM

When I get tubes from Eurotubes i go right to the dudes (Bob) house in Oregon City.  he has a rather large Sunn collection.  He's pretty tight with Conrad Sundholm.
No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 30, 2012, 02:07:46 PM

done

VOLVO)))

Bob always seemed like a legit dude.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Bob is a kool guy, had a few email convos, good service

El Zombre

Here's a thought - how many of those amps can take alternate power tubes w/ some rewiring?
There are so many goddamn output tubes out there. Same with preamp tubes. Most of the non-standard ones can be had NOS, milspec, whatever, for $5 or less.

I can't wait to have some time on my hands and converting as many of my amps as possible to those sexy radio transmitter tubes with the nipple on top - the 6BG6 for instance is basically a 6l6GB (not GC, although you can try to see if they'll take the voltage) with different wiring.

Also, I wonder if people can ever be convinced to try amps with weird tubes. If new production supply is a worry (ohnoes what if I play this amp until the end of time and the warehouses full of non guitar tubes run out), an ampmaker could include a decade's worth of tubes for peanuts. And some of the weirder tubes have just a single manufacturer, so those neurotic about tube brands don't have to worry about that either. Any thought on this, Dunwich?

dunwichamps

Quote from: El Zombre on January 30, 2012, 04:56:48 PM
Here's a thought - how many of those amps can take alternate power tubes w/ some rewiring?
There are so many goddamn output tubes out there. Same with preamp tubes. Most of the non-standard ones can be had NOS, milspec, whatever, for $5 or less.

I can't wait to have some time on my hands and converting as many of my amps as possible to those sexy radio transmitter tubes with the nipple on top - the 6BG6 for instance is basically a 6l6GB (not GC, although you can try to see if they'll take the voltage) with different wiring.

Also, I wonder if people can ever be convinced to try amps with weird tubes. If new production supply is a worry (ohnoes what if I play this amp until the end of time and the warehouses full of non guitar tubes run out), an ampmaker could include a decade's worth of tubes for peanuts. And some of the weirder tubes have just a single manufacturer, so those neurotic about tube brands don't have to worry about that either. Any thought on this, Dunwich?

I have not thought of it, its more of a customer request on tubes. Im not opposed to it but i doubt id sell them going that route

u know a tube amp is like a well tuned sports car, atleast the customs ones are, if you wanna play it your going to have to bite the maintenance costs

zachoff

How hard do you play those things?  I'm going strong on 3 years with Svetlanas in my '76 SVT and still have the OG Magnavox preamp tubes in there too.  How hard are you guys pushing these things?  I almost never turn past 12:00.

Chovie D

just get a SS amp and a bottle of "tube oil" then :P

fallen

It's a problem that magnifies itself. I used to run my 800's master on around 2 but then the power tubes start going a little bit so you push the master a bit higher. Running a higher master pushes the tubes a little hotter and they got worse so I pushed the master up and so on.

The idea about building a line of amps around really cheap NOS tubes sounds super cool. Especially if the amp came with a package of 3 change outs of extra tubes. Might be perfect for a weird low wattage amp kind of like those Fender pawn shop amps.