Bands using PODS/Fractal Audio stuff live instead of amps

Started by Instant Dan, January 23, 2012, 10:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

I've noticed it becoming more commonplace, especially with some of the local tightpants bands.

Hemisaurus

My main rig was a v-amp for a longish time, might still be ;D

justinhedrick

i know weezer used pods some time in the early 2000s.

i know that the band animals as leaders use those axe-fx things.

i know a lot of tight pants bands that use those line 6 modeling heads, so those are pretty much the same thing. they sound bad.

Cursed71

Who are these tight pants you speak of?  Iron maiden?  I think Bruce wears cargo shorts these days.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Cursed71 on January 24, 2012, 07:01:07 PM
Who are these tight pants you speak of?  Iron maiden?  I think Bruce wears cargo shorts these days.

those damn metal bands that were the skinny jeans and straight billed hats. ugh.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Cursed71 on January 24, 2012, 07:01:07 PM
I think Bruce wears cargo shorts these days.
It's an age thing, the scrotum gets too saggy to fit in the tight pants.

chille01

I've seen this more lately. I don't like it. I've used amp sims in a recording context, but even then I try and take a clean DI track and reamp through a real cranked tube amp miced up. That, MIXED with an amp sim has worked for me. Never liked just the computer generated sound by itself though.

clockwork green

I'd abandon tubes in a heartbeat but none of the digital stuff has that hard to describe but easy to witness analog warmth of tubes.  When driving down the freeway through my car stereo speakers after an album has run through all sorts of preamps, compressors and various other toys, mixed and then mastered I can't always tell when it's a digital modeler but in person, especially with a guitar in my hand it just never satisfies. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

fallen

This seems like the way to go to get great sounds for cheap. Track the drums in studio. Then track the guitars and bass at home with amp sims and DI the raw signal. Then back in the studio you can set up real amps and mics and feed them with the pre-recorded tracks. Seems like a lot of people sit in the control room when they track guitars anyway.

zachoff

It's crap.  Might as well play through a Roland Cube.

justinhedrick

now, i have been known to mix in a peavey bandit's gain channel with my distorted tone to give it some bite.

i know that doesn't count, but i guess my point is, that maybe in the right context they sound . . . alright?

cat shepard

You can fool folks with sims on tape or daw. I don't know about live though, never tried it and probably never will.

justinhedrick

Quote from: cat shepard on January 26, 2012, 01:30:53 PM
You can fool folks with sims on tape or daw. I don't know about live though, never tried it and probably never will.

i don't think you can. but that's just me.

giantchris

I actually think using the Tech 21 character series pedals into a power amp live wouldn't sound bad at all.  Was considering using an Oxford and a Leeds into a power amp as a ghetto 2 channel amp.  There was that clip on here or the obelisk of that forum member's band in india and it sounded pretty badass and at home the pedals still sound good cranked.  I wouldn't use the line 6 stuff though myself.

justinhedrick

Quote from: giantchris on January 26, 2012, 10:52:33 PM
I actually think using the Tech 21 character series pedals into a power amp live wouldn't sound bad at all.  Was considering using an Oxford and a Leeds into a power amp as a ghetto 2 channel amp.  There was that clip on here or the obelisk of that forum member's band in india and it sounded pretty badass and at home the pedals still sound good cranked.  I wouldn't use the line 6 stuff though myself.

tech 21 is analog though. no?

giantchris

Quote from: justinhedrick on January 26, 2012, 11:27:56 PM
Quote from: giantchris on January 26, 2012, 10:52:33 PM

tech 21 is analog though. no?
dur yeah they are sorry big migraine today from the weather

spookstrickland

I've actually been thinking about getting one of them old Korg Toneworks pedals for Jamming with people and using for club gigs where my good pedals my get broke and or stolen.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

I,Galactus

I'm fine with PODS/AXEFX as long there's power amps and speaker cabs being used.

Unless you're in a big ass arena w/ a $$$ PA, those speaker sims just don't sound good enough to fool nobody.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

liquidsmoke

Not for me but in the end if it sounds good, it sounds good. Modeling amps/programs sound way better than they used to. I buddy of mine who loves tube amps is super hyped about a new guitar modeling program he got recently.