Anyone else use 'mini' gear? Orange Terror Bass?

Started by Chest Rockwell, January 18, 2012, 07:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chest Rockwell

I have an OTB and use a Barefaced Compact (600w), which are plenty loud for practice. I can use them at gigs too and they're fine, but usually put the OTB through whatever cab's available at gigs.

also have an Orange SP212 which looks lovely but doesnt have the power/thump/fullness of the Compact.

I play bass in THORUN

Facebook  www.facebook.com/Thorunband
Music       www.thorun.bandcamp.com
Youtube   www.youtube.com/user/Thorunband

moose23

My power amp is pretty small but not quite as small and light as the Tiny Terror.

Chest Rockwell

Tiny Terror's the geetar one, but aye, I think the Terror Bass is the same thing really (cept better innit, cos bass is better than guitar  ;) )
I play bass in THORUN

bbottom

I saw a tiny terror guitar combo the other day that looked kind of neat.

It was like $800 but still...

Mr. Foxen

Matamp are working on a GT200 pre an a 500w Class D/SMPS power module, might get one.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 18, 2012, 09:48:51 AM
Matamp are working on a GT200 pre an a 500w Class D/SMPS power module, might get one.

i have been thinking about doing something like this for a while. Theres a couple class D kits u can pick up for a huge power amp. Just add a tube pre with low impedance output

Hemisaurus

or just make a compact preamp. 1U is out I could never find a suitable xfmr, you'd have to use an external powerlump.

I think RacerX has the right idea, preamp on the pedalboard, and carry the power amp.

I like the concept of lightweight power, but I'd like the concept of lightweight speaker cabs, that aren't total shite more. Why worry about a 30lb amp if you have to carry a speaker thats 3ft square.

zachoff

Tiny Terror Bass is pretty rad, actually.  Sounded good in the store, anyway.  If there were a new amp I'd buy that wasn't tube that'd probably be it.

bitter

I've considered the egnater tweaker (40 watt model) on occasion. I'd really rather have a short box ~50/100 watt style head. Still would be plenty small but still have full range power that my main head has.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 18, 2012, 10:04:42 AM
or just make a compact preamp. 1U is out I could never find a suitable xfmr, you'd have to use an external powerlump.

I think RacerX has the right idea, preamp on the pedalboard, and carry the power amp.

I like the concept of lightweight power, but I'd like the concept of lightweight speaker cabs, that aren't total shite more. Why worry about a 30lb amp if you have to carry a speaker thats 3ft square.

check out the Barefaced line. teh Compact is 600w and 27 lbs / 12kg :) Stupidly light! to make it look manly it'd be good to get two, but if you dont mind the lack of physical volume manliness, they're awesome! I dunno what availablity is like in the States, they're kinda  a Brit startup, i think. http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/compact.htm
I play bass in THORUN

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on January 18, 2012, 01:02:04 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 18, 2012, 10:04:42 AM

check out the Barefaced line. teh Compact is 600w and 27 lbs / 12kg :) Stupidly light! to make it look manly it'd be good to get two, but if you dont mind the lack of physical volume manliness, they're awesome! I dunno what availablity is like in the States, they're kinda  a Brit startup, i think. http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/compact.htm

+1 to this. I've got a Super 15 in vintage grillcoth, sorted for cab now.

eoin_not_ian

Mesa Walkabout is about as lightweight as I would imagine myself going. I would like to try the Orange heads though.

Glitchyghost

My bass player just started using a Terror Bass 1000 about 2 months ago.  Was using the Sunn 1200s solid state head.  The Orange sounds better, and is slightly louder.

edit > also, bass player in an older band had the AD200 for a long time.  I cannot tell the different between the two. 

giantchris

Has anyone tried the bass terror 1000 as it has the same preamp as the AD200B.  Curious how much it sounds like the AD200 I just saw Ghost and that amp sounds amazing but I'm not really up for spending that much and lugging that thing around. 

Mr. Foxen

Don't really think there is much to put the Terror 1000 ahead of the 500. The pre is kind of badly done in that it has too much gain to be that useful across the pot sweep, but lower gain valves give you useful adjustment once it is at volume. Bunch of the mojo of an AD200 is in the power section. The cost of extra weight still buys you a lot.

VOLVO)))

Dear Oli,

Stop having incredible, but strange-unknown-to-me-amplifiers. You make me feel stupid.

Thanks,

FalseJake
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Should see the next couple I have arriving in the week. Making a change from my 4xEL34 theme.

giantchris

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 28, 2012, 10:18:53 PM
Don't really think there is much to put the Terror 1000 ahead of the 500. The pre is kind of badly done in that it has too much gain to be that useful across the pot sweep, but lower gain valves give you useful adjustment once it is at volume. Bunch of the mojo of an AD200 is in the power section. The cost of extra weight still buys you a lot.
Thanks for the info man I'm going to upgrade my rig this summer now that I actually have a real band and am going to play out and fuck the AD200 sounds amazing but I don't like lugging that much weight.  I was considering the AD200 or maybe that new tech 21 1969.  I'm still gonna try the terror bass 500 still at some point.

Mr. Foxen

Tech21 VT bass and a separate power amp will do you pretty well, the full head seems to be a bunch extra to do the same function.

moose23

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 30, 2012, 08:00:42 AM
Tech21 VT bass and a separate power amp will do you pretty well, the full head seems to be a bunch extra to do the same function.

Or for the Orange sound grab the Oxford (which I love). The 1969 head has two separate VTBasses in there but not sure how much it costs?