Best area for "our" type of music?

Started by bbottom, January 15, 2012, 03:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Where would you say the best scene is for this type of music? I'm guessing the MD,VA DC area. thoughts?

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

clockwork green

I'd say the bay area, Portland or Atlanta and since I have no interest in living in the south I'll stick to the east bay.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Metal and Beer

Hmm tough call....most of the culturally rich areas have pretty good scenes right now, but it seems like Portland might have a high(er) ratio of bands/activity. The Bay Area is always great, same w/ most Southern cities
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Instant Dan

DFW seems to be booming for that type of music but Houston isn't that far behind along with Austin.

interstelar

I've heard good things about TX. And remember Austin was always a good town for music.

We're doin "our" thing in LA and I can tell you it's kind of tough.

VOLVO)))

Nola has always been up there, and Arkansas as a whole. REDNECKIN'!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

neighbor664

The SF bay area is a great, fertile ground for awesome bands. There is no shortage of great bands. However, it is a horrible music scene to have to try and play music in, I'd rather clean my toilet.

Discö Rice

Did someone already say the Moon? Crap. Who's the new guy that misspelled his own username?

Edit: and presumably his band's name...(?)
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Volume

bbottom

Quote from: neighbor664 on January 16, 2012, 12:48:06 AM
The SF bay area is a great, fertile ground for awesome bands. There is no shortage of great bands. However, it is a horrible music scene to have to try and play music in, I'd rather clean my toilet.

Why is it so bad?

cat shepard

Quote from: clockwork green on January 15, 2012, 03:55:33 PM
I'd say the bay area, Portland or Atlanta and since I have no interest in living in the south I'll stick to the east bay.
Im gonna get out of here first chance I get (been saying that for over 20 years) but though there aren't many, the bands from the hills and mountains of NC are good imo. This is one of those places that sucks so bad that there are no distractions to take you away from your music maybe. I would love to live on the west coast one day, I doubt that happens. Living in the south is not what they might be cracking it up to be, you are correct sir. Doesn't Fla have lots of good bands? Im sure there is tons of tight pants black hair bands but seems like there may be good ones, Floor, surely there are more?

RAGER

Quote from: Discö Rice on January 16, 2012, 02:13:14 AM
Did someone already say the Moon? Crap. Who's the new guy that misspelled his own username?

Edit: and presumably his band's name...(?)

Oh shit.....hope he's not the lyricist.

No Focus Pocus

fallen

Quote from: cat shepard on January 16, 2012, 11:06:12 AM
This is one of those places that sucks so bad that there are no distractions to take you away from your music maybe.

This. When you are on the west coast in a fun city you can waste 10 years easy just having fun and hustling to keep paying for it.

Cheap studio space is nearly impossible to find but people still find a way and people still make good music. It's just hard to jell when you only practice once a week and have to move your gear in and out of an hourly rental spot every time. You get really good at setting up for shows but the music can turn into the rest of the band learning one person's songs instead of a collaboration.

zachoff

Not Denver.  Couple handfuls of good bands, but only one club that pays anything & the bigger clubs cater more to the 'core' genres of metal.

clockwork green

There are obstacles everywhere. If you're in the middle of nowhere it's obviously going to be hard to find like minded musicians and even fewer places to play but it seems like many of those bands are the most creative because when nobody cares about what you're doing, you can do anything you can imagine.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

lordfinesse

North and South Carolina certainly have clubs that will book stoner/doom bands. Attendance always seems to be lacking though. I think bands usually leave the clubs saying "man that was fun.. what a great time" rather than "wow what a great crowd.. we made more than $30."

For the OP's question, I would guess somewhere in Eastern Europe or Scandinavia?
Billy Squier 24/7

Discö Rice

Quote from: inductorguitars on January 16, 2012, 02:29:04 PM
Quote from: Discö Rice on January 16, 2012, 02:13:14 AM
Did someone already say the Moon? Crap.

That's Mars.
They all look the same to me. (<--- planetist)

Edit: Seattle's not even on the map. Take that, fuckers!
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

At_Giza

I acknowledge that Seattle has a terrible Metal scene in general too.

So it isn't that surprising it ain't on the map.

We go to Portland for all our riff rock. heh

cat shepard

I played in seattle once at some downtown swankery and the sound dude asked us if we could turn down, weren't even that loud, I was like no and we jammed for like 30 minutes of noise skronk and then left. There were 3 people there. Played a different venue the next night the funhouse and it was better.

kirky

Quote from: Instant Dan on January 15, 2012, 08:07:14 PM
DFW seems to be booming for that type of music but Houston isn't that far behind along with Austin.

ummm.....really? do you mean number of local bands or attendance at shows? i remember that recent buzzoven show having maybe 7 people besides the bands playing....everytime i talk to a touring band they always ask "what's up with houston?" and if there is a better club to play.....i guess fitzgerald's new ownership has helped things a little.....