Main Menu

Box Modellers

Started by Hemisaurus, January 11, 2012, 02:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

No, not Line 6 stuff, the software like WinISD or BoxDesigner.

Anyone know of a program that would allow me to model multiple different drivers in the same box at the same time? WinISD allows multiple drivers, but doesn't allow you to select two different drivers. I was wondering about dropping a 15" in to my 4x10 box and have a 2x10" + 1x15", though not too seriously as I dislike 10"s.

inductorguitars

I thought I had one from my DOS days, but forgot the name of it. Probably bought it from Glass Audio magazine.

Lumpy

I don't know if this one models drivers:

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/freesoft.htm

What about doing it the old fashioned way (have two windows open at once)

(oops, me no read good).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

In the passband that WinISD is effective in (200hz and down) mixing drivers won't do anything useful. Unless the motors are really similar (like a Kappalite 3012 and a 3015) the main think you can expect is for them to be out of phase and notch some frequencies. Run stuff in separate enclosures.

RAGER

I don't even know what you guys are talking about. ???
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Quote from: RAGER on January 11, 2012, 06:59:25 PM
I don't even know what you guys are talking about. ???
WinISD is software for cabinet builders. You plug in the speaker's stats, and it gives you the ideal cabinet dimensions. Some programs will even generate a lumber 'cut list' from there.

Dude wants software that will generate stats for a cabinet with multiple different speakers (1x15, 2x10 or whatever).

Hemi you should post this question at Talk Bass where there are cabinet builders. I think they will tell you what Mr. Foxen said though. Those guys are building cabs with mixed speaker sizes, but they are 'full range' cabs with a mid-range speaker that is 50% of the woofer (so 1x15, 1x8, tweeter).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

The midranges in the multiway cabs are in separate enclosures or closed back. They'll also not tell you to get hung up on diameter, it isn't the important thing, aside for the high frequency elements, smaller is better. The standard is a 15 and a 6 or 6.5" mid, just because the sensitivity is matched best that way.

Hemisaurus

Maybe I'll crack the magnet of that Fender 15" and make it a passive radiator. Time to get out the modelling clay :)

VOLVO)))

This is technically a box modeler...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I almost said not fleshlights ???

Maybe I should strip the cab, turn it into a cat toy and make a pair of these :)

mawso

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 11, 2012, 08:55:28 PM

This is technically a box modeler...

haha, you beat me to it

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 11, 2012, 07:34:59 PM
The midranges in the multiway cabs are in separate enclosures or closed back. They'll also not tell you to get hung up on diameter, it isn't the important thing, aside for the high frequency elements, smaller is better. The standard is a 15 and a 6 or 6.5" mid, just because the sensitivity is matched best that way.

and to add..
a woofer will blow a midrange right out if in a common enclosure together. mid has no travel vs a woofer and a very weak engine vs low freq and will act like a crappy passive radiator of some lame frequency until it is destroyed.
tweeters are all basically sealed backs by design and those can usually be in the big space. but mids get isolated unless it is sealed back mid driver, then it can go in with the woofer too. like an altec lansing piezo horn.
put that wherever your design dictates.