thoughts on the peavey "classic" series?

Started by kirky, December 26, 2011, 04:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inductorguitars

hayseed

"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Hemisaurus

Also, if you decide to tolex, rather than tweed, a friend of mine used to use marine vinyl, which you get from boat supply stores I think, they use it on upholstery, I think he said it was harder wearing, or easier to work with or something.

hayseed

Quote from: Hemisaurus on February 08, 2012, 08:30:28 PM
Also, if you decide to tolex, rather than tweed, a friend of mine used to use marine vinyl, which you get from boat supply stores I think, they use it on upholstery, I think he said it was harder wearing, or easier to work with or something.

That was similar to an an idea that my Dad approached me with. He said that he used to re-upholster seats in cars back in the day and was trying to come up with an alternative way of doing things on these cabs. It would have to be a close match to regular tolex but he said that they used to use heat guns to stretch things out. I may look into that as well.
Any suggestions on paint if I decided to paint them black? does any thing stick better than the rest?
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

inductorguitars

Quote from: hayseed on February 09, 2012, 10:29:25 AM
Any suggestions on paint if I decided to paint them black? does any thing stick better than the rest?

The best paint would be  http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-architects-and-designers/paint-products/super-spec-hp-urethanes/P74?lang=en_US&role=A#a_rt=rt_ep,rt_poly,rt_alacr_urt&piSheen=P74&advs=1&tab=3

I think (BM changes their paint names like underwear). All you would need is a pint. This is very similar to the paint that they use for the Yellow and White lines in the road. I've used it for an adult potty chair.

hayseed

Quote from: inductorguitars on February 10, 2012, 11:39:57 AM

The best paint would be  http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-architects-and-designers/paint-products/super-spec-hp-urethanes/P74?lang=en_US&role=A#a_rt=rt_ep,rt_poly,rt_alacr_urt&piSheen=P74&advs=1&tab=3

I think (BM changes their paint names like underwear). All you would need is a pint. This is very similar to the paint that they use for the Yellow and White lines in the road. I've used it for an adult potty chair.

After a little research, I called my local API (autobody store). They have a paint called SEM that is for vinyl and plastics that they say will work. There is also a Krylon aerosol paint that will work as well. Hopefully the stuff that was already painted on this cab doesnt react with what I'm gonna use. It may not stick if it does.

inductorguitars

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 10, 2012, 11:57:16 AM
go on . . .

Heh.

I figured this wouldn't get past... My ex was a pro Dom and I built dungeon furniture and paddles (I still have some left - I should put them on ebay) So the Adult potty chair was a smallish chair with a hole cut out on the seat. Plus the front and side "legs" had a cut out that one could put their head (and arms/shoulders) underneath the "potty hole" to collect the effluence.
People are weird.  :'(

So the paint/chair had to be cleaned up with bleach and/or alcohol. IIRC the paint took abit longer to cure but nothing to bad. Worked like a Charmin.  :P

justinhedrick

Quote from: inductorguitars on February 10, 2012, 03:19:51 PM
go on . . .

Heh.

I figured this wouldn't get past... My ex was a pro Dom and I built dungeon furniture and paddles (I still have some left - I should put them on ebay) So the Adult potty chair was a smallish chair with a hole cut out on the seat. Plus the front and side "legs" had a cut out that one could put their head (and arms/shoulders) underneath the "potty hole" to collect the effluence.

So the paint/chair had to be cleaned up with bleach and/or alcohol. IIRC the paint took abit longer to cure but nothing to bad. Worked like a Charmin.  :P

this is the most fucked up thing you will ever say on this forum. ever.

bitter

:D All I saw was Dom and dungeon and thought "he's back".   :o
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

hayseed

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 10, 2012, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: inductorguitars on February 10, 2012, 03:19:51 PM
go on . . .

Heh.

Where did this conversation go astray?................................

hahaha! Potty chairs are always funny.

ANYWAY- I found vinyl / marine vinyl/ "tolex" stuff at a JoAnn Fabrics store in my home town. I'm sure its not the same texture that Peavey uses but they had every color under the sun including black which is what i wanted. The paint is in every Advanced Auto Parts store and goes for $7.99 for an aerosol can. Ithink i will recover these because i never tried that yet. I will probably order the tweed covering for the head online. Wish me luck. I will post pics when i get it done.

inductorguitars

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 10, 2012, 03:34:59 PM

Which part? or the whole thing? ;D

That paint is really really good. I still think I have a quart of it. But the color is Benjamin Moore Baby Boy Blue.
http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/3493_Benjamin-Moore-2056-50-Baby-Boy-Blue

I'll paint anyone's amp/cab/guitar this color but you gotta post picks of it with you and your gear.

hayseed

I moved my Classic 50 head and 412 cab to our practice spot last week to use until i decide whether to recover it or just sell it. Truth is, I really liked playing it! These really have a sound all to their own. Very killer straight rock tone! The clean channel is WAY better than my Marshall JCM2000 TSL(not surprising there!) as is the reverb ( again, no shock). I have seen people compare the lead channel to the "Marshall roar" on several occasions And i can honestly say that is a false statement. They sound nothing alike IMO. I used my Radial Big Shot to ABY them and its really night and day. The sound together is just godlike to me however. The Peavey seems to get the highs and upper mids while the Marshall really covered the low end better. Very cool regardless. It a little late on this post I figured that i would share.

I have looked into the covering needed for it. I still may attempt to do it myself just to get some experience doing that but without a garage, I will have to wait out winter. 

nonoman

Quote from: hayseed on February 10, 2012, 12:10:52 PM
Quote from: inductorguitars on February 10, 2012, 11:39:57 AM

After a little research, I called my local API (autobody store). They have a paint called SEM that is for vinyl and plastics that they say will work. There is also a Krylon aerosol paint that will work as well. Hopefully the stuff that was already painted on this cab doesnt react with what I'm gonna use. It may not stick if it does.

If it does react, just get a good bonding primer like Zinnser Cover Stain.
No good deed goes unpunished.