thoughts on the peavey "classic" series?

Started by kirky, December 26, 2011, 04:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

thinking about getting a 50 watt 4x10 combo, but i haven't played any others....i'm looking for a good all round tube amp....i need it for a discharge style punk band....been considering a bugera 1960 and a peavey windsor too.....my budget is under $500.

VOLVO)))

All are pretty sweet options, honestly. The classic is more... classic?

The Windsor is british and somewhat reliable (IRON BILL should chime in.)
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hashbrowns

Peavey classics are great. I don't know about reliability cause I've never owned one but damn they sound good. Plus you're going to get really good distribution of your sound with 4 speakers working together. Not familiar with those other amps.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

SpaceTrucker

They sound pretty good, and really shine when cranked up. although serious low end might be an issue.

hashbrowns

What makes you say low end will be missing? The 10 inch speakers or the wattage? Just curious for my own information.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

SpaceTrucker

It might be an issue, Because I've only ever heard one cranked with a standard tuned guitar. And the bass wasen't really turned up. But it still had a really chunky sound, but I doubt the 10inch speakers could really handle very low tunings. I'm sure it could handle C or D but not with the EQ boosting the bass. but it has been a while since I last heard one. So try one out yourself. and be sure to turn it up past 5.

kirky

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on December 26, 2011, 07:56:40 PM
It might be an issue, Because I've only ever heard one cranked with a standard tuned guitar. And the bass wasen't really turned up. But it still had a really chunky sound, but I doubt the 10inch speakers could really handle very low tunings. I'm sure it could handle C or D but not with the EQ boosting the bass. but it has been a while since I last heard one. So try one out yourself. and be sure to turn it up past 5.

so a 2x12 would be a better choice?......i haven't played a open-back amp in a low tuning either....

strangelight

i've got a peavey classic 50/2x12. takes to low tuning just fine. i haven't gigged with it, but i've moved at least 6 times since owning it and it is unfazed. i love it long time.

Iron Mtn

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 26, 2011, 04:35:42 PM
All are pretty sweet options, honestly. The classic is more... classic?

The Windsor is british and somewhat reliable (IRON BILL should chime in.)

Peavey Windsor is a great sounding amp that has quality of build issues >:(
It was in the shop while under warranty and came back better then ever but has since suffered from bad soldering and as a result is not being used. All that being said, I would still recommend it for those JCM 800/900 needs. As soon as I get some $$$, i'm going to get it fixed but good and use the fuck out of it AGAIN!!!!

Jake

I've got a Classic 50 head that crushes. I cannot recommend these enough. Gorgeous cleans, thick disto. I need to record that thing so you guys can smell what's cookin.
poop.

Hemisaurus

The Classic 50 has an interesting design, in that it uses EL-84's and runs them beyond the typical rated plate voltage (about 20% if memory serves), that said I've not seen them fail yet. The tubes are all mounted horizontally on little PCB's one for the EL84's and one for the 12AX7's hooked to the main PCB via little flexi-cables.

The Windsor like IM said, great Marshall clone, especially if you're willing to take the time and go through it fixing some of the crappy shortcuts Peavey made on it. An afternoon with a soldering iron, and a caulk gun can work wonders and make it pretty bombproof.

Best sound I ever heard recently was a Classic 50 2x12 combo (open back) running on the clean channel, with the Sunn christened Kilt Fuzz (kind of like a Meathead Dark), and a Strat of all things with Lace Sensor single coils. Meaty as hell, way better than what we could get on the dirty channel, which tends to be a little thin IMHO.

There was a Classic 50 head going round here recently for $300 and I've seen the combos around the $350 mark. They do have external speaker jacks, and you can drop the chassis out and mount it in a head cabinet, so don't let the combo put you off, if you have any woodworking skills.

Below is the Classic 50 in question.

VOLVO)))

Kilt fuzz 4 lyfe!

I'll eyelet board one once you make me a layout!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

dammit, I was hoping you forgot, I sketched out the components, but I'd have to peel of the mounting crud to get to the back-side. Err I'll get back to it I suppose.

justinhedrick

oh, i also have to send my big muffs to hemi to get them fixed! ha!

Hemisaurus

I do have a certain reputation with muffs, which I deny absolutely to boyfriends ;)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 27, 2011, 03:58:37 PM
I do have a certain reputation with muffs, which I deny absolutely to boyfriends ;)

awe SNAP!

bitter

What about the carvin vt50 (or nomad combos) model? They seem similar to the peavey classic 50's (in design and build quality) and the heads run $500 new?

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=VT50
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Lanticus

I have a Peavey Classic VTX open back 2x12 that I bought at a pawn shop for a little over $100 when I was 18.  I have treated it, on and off, good and like shit.  Still sounds great.  Definitely handle some Broken Bones and Downtuned riffage.  Definitely needs a good PA mic-ing it if anybody else on stage has any firepower.   
I've unhooked the 2x12s run it through a 4x12.
Also coming from a a/b'd octave down into the peavey into an 8x12.

I do need to get another footswitch for it so I can figure out if it's just the footswitch thats broken or maybe the onboard reverb is fucked, too.  (shhhh, I've never changed the tubes in it. ever. yet).
Hot Wings of Hell @ Slayer's Bar&Grill

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Lanticus on December 27, 2011, 04:41:58 PM
I do need to get another footswitch for it so I can figure out if it's just the footswitch thats broken or maybe the onboard reverb is fucked, too.  (shhhh, I've never changed the tubes in it. ever. yet).
Rarely do Peavey use tubes to power the reverb, so you should be safe there. Looking at a schematic for what I think is your amp, it's all solid state bar for the power section?

http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/6442d1254173505-pv-classic-vtx.pdf

in which case it's more than likely going to be the footswitch is either broken or just wrong. Easiest way to find out is with a jack plug and a paperclip, either a stereo jack if it's a two function footswitch or a mono jack, if it's a one function. Use the paperclip to short ring to ground (sleeve) or tip to ground and see what you get.

If it's a Peavey DIN, find another Peavey footswitch  ;)

Hemisaurus

Actually the schematic says pins 1 & 2, you could try connecting those pins and see what you get ;)

Iron Mtn

Hey Hemi, where are you based out of? me thinks I should send you my Windsor and have you fix it since you seem to have the most desired knowledge of 'em. I think it would be worth it just to make that baby bombproof....

Hemisaurus

Springfield, IL ish. I would probably void your warranty though, so don't do it if it's still covered. Not a licensed Peavey dealer ;)

Lanticus

Yeah - it's solid power and tube pre. 
I'm fairly certain it's the footswitch, and the reverb is stuck off.  Because the phase is stuck on, I just turn the depth all the way down.  The channel selector works occasionally, but I don't ever use the clean only channel anymore anyway, as I don't put distortion pedals in front of this amp anymore. 
I'm pretty dumb - what's a DIN?  What are the pins 1 and 2?
I think you asked about the footswitch connector, too - It looks kind of like an S-Video plug.  I'm not sure what those are called. 
Thanx for your insight, btw, brother!

Hemisaurus

DIN is a german standard, it describes the connector Peavey use for their complicated footswitches. I think they more or less standardized the wiring, so all 3 button footswitches are wired the same, all 4 button etc. So you just need to figure how many switches you should have and get a new one. Here for example is a 4 button job. You can maybe use it to buzz outbyour current footswitch.

Lanticus