Main Menu

Would this suffice

Started by Dr. Skeeter, November 16, 2011, 03:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Skeeter

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104506076-i1323510.gc

Would something like this suffice for writing/recording in a hardcore punk/metal band? My best friend who is a guitar player who I listen to music with and have jammed with him (was in one of my first garage bands with him a few years ago) only has a shitty 30w amp that just sounds like straight ass and it's made actually trying to do anything semi-official with him a no go for many years. He has a bit more than a grand saved up and is trying to find a job but doesn't want to shell out the big bucks for a major rig yet, but is looking to have a good practice amp for practice and to get rid of the shitty 30w once and for all. What sort of pedals would he need to get a good raw tone?

Desired sound: Anything from Discharge to Eyehategod.

Mr. Foxen

Pretty sure you could do better for the purpose that that, especially by going used.

Dr. Skeeter

He doesn't want to search around to find a deal. He'd rather have something that's easy to find, but if you know of anything that is incredibly easy to find then you can tell me.

mawso

you'd probably score a jet city combo for the same coin

Hemisaurus

Probably would work, we had a guy playing with us using an 85W single 12" Fender combo. He used a DOD 250 and latterly a Behringer SF300 with it.

rayinreverse

in a city like Nashville, you cant find some old used gear for $300???? maybe spend another 150 more.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/2656775120.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/2700958859.html

Chovie D

what is the current 30W amp you speak of?
is it another solid state amp?

VOLVO)))

ITT: Lazy fucks who don't want to invest any time into playing music
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

meh, they are kids supposedly..i didnt give a fuck either when i was starting out...i just wanted to rock out.
in retrospect i wish i HAD been more interested in gear and had sought out the advice of someone besides the salesman at the only guitar store in town. I might own another a really nice vintage amp today if i had.

my advice to your friend is to go try some amps
try some tube amps
try the solid state marshalls
try the fender

pedals? a boss ds1 is fine for starters, a tuner, maybe a delay

VOLVO)))

Eh, I was 17 when I started, and I tried my best to get the best shit I could so I wouldn't find myself limited to my gear. Nothing more depressing than an instrument that is holding you back.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

i didnt care at all about gear for the longest time. I only started caring fairly recently in fact, like maybe the last 5 years or so. That means I went the first 25 years of playing not caring at all. :D
I just used whatever was there and did not care or even know there was anything better.

Dr. Skeeter

Yeah, gear holding you back is fucking shite. I wish I had a shitload of money, but we just want something loud and some pedals to give us an alright sound for now. It's impossible to even write with a 30w amp, ya know?

Dr. Skeeter

Quote from: rayinreverse on November 16, 2011, 11:27:46 AM
in a city like Nashville, you cant find some old used gear for $300???? maybe spend another 150 more.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/2656775120.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/2700958859.html

Actually i'm hitting the guy up on the Peavy Cab. Is that a fair price? I was thinking he could buy that and then buy a solid state marshall head for how much?

Dr. Skeeter

Dr. Skeeter

Guess we're going to pick up that cab on friday unless someone wants to talk me out of it.

cat shepard

That Carvin head would peel paint on top of that peavey. The marshall, whatever.

Dr. Skeeter

k. I responded to both of those ads. The cab we are probably gonna buy this Friday, but the head might have to wait but I asked the dude if he could put it on hold for a minute. If anyone can give me any details on all of this equipment it would be appreciated.

Iron Mtn

I would buy the head before the cab. Good, inexpensive cabs can be found by the dozen but a good amp at that price is a bit harder to come by, especially in that kind of shape.

That head is a underrated beast. Those amps were designed by Zappa and he used them as well as a host of other guitar players. You can do lower wattage settings on there and change out tubes (6L6's or EL34's) without having to bias the amp. Sound wise, the dirty channel is you typical 80's sound, though the graphic EQ allows you to pretty much mold whatever sound you're trying to achieve. This baby really cranks in the clean mode with a good dirt pedal.

Why bother with that shitty combo that will need to be replaced within six months?
Buy the right shit now and be done with it.....

Dr. Skeeter

It's actually not me buying it! I'll check it out and get back to ya and tell you how it goes.

Lumpy

Good price on a 4x12 cab, hard to get anything too much cheaper unless you buy from a family member or old friend, or it's something trashed. Ask him if all four speakers work? He will probably say yes, but if he says "Uh, I think so" then you can get down on all fours and listen. You can also ask people to describe equipment you are not familiar with. No shame in admitting you aren't familiar with a piece of equipment, nobody knows everything. Shoot the shit with these people if you're not sure what you're looking into. If it doesn't smell like cat piss, all the speakers are working and it seems like a good rock&roll/punk/metal/whatever-it-is-you-do speaker cabinet, I would buy it. He also says 'or best offer' so you can nicely ask him if he'll accept less, when you're getting ready to pay. Considering your age, that could definitely work ("Like, I'm still in high school" -- that would probably work on me). If you can get a good deal on used stuff, you can usually sell it for the same price (or sometimes, even make a little money) if you decide to upgrade later. Or maybe you lose a few bucks -- consider it a rental fee for the time you owned it.

Any gear you are considering, Google the name with "review" and you will be able to find a bunch of info, unless it's totally obscure or brand new on the market.

You could also use that www.allofcraigslist.com site, to see what other people are charging for that same gear (or look at Ebay 'completed auctions'). There are probably a bunch of Peavey XXX for sale that you can compare prices to.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Dr. Skeeter

Dig that post. Lots of help. He says he's out of town but his buddy will be at "the studio" with the cab this Friday. I'll check it out and maybe try to talk down the price and test it out. Thanks for the advice.

Dr. Skeeter

Plus the ad says it's in very good condition with only a small tolex imperfection, so i'll check it out and I think it will be a solid buy.

Dr. Skeeter

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 16, 2011, 11:44:25 AM

Missed this..
I agree, I need to invest more time into gear and whatnot. I just need to get a band together and get on track. Writing and getting focused would be nice but I haven't had anyone to jam with for about a year. Except for this guy and his 30w. Hopefully when we flier we can find a tight drummer.

VOLVO)))

I wasnt trying to be a dick(it happens naturally,) but if you're gonna do it... do it right, ya kin it? Good sound from shit equipment is how we all sound different, innit?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mawso

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 16, 2011, 11:44:25 AM

"playing music" and "buying/selling/messing around with gear" are fairly different things

a lot of ppl spend way too much time on the latter, at the expense of the former.. especially guys just starting out in bands