Planning to buy a bass amp and a bass.........

Started by Isabellacat, November 08, 2011, 04:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose23

Quote from: Worthless Willie on November 09, 2011, 06:42:57 PM
I also cannot stand P basses.  They don't feel good to me, but they do sound alright.

I like Jazz basses, because of the skinnier neck profile.

That sums me up well, I'll also a sucker for the chrome control plate.

blackkrosses

Worthless Willie

Quote from: Chovie D on November 09, 2011, 06:47:58 PM
did y'all know that the Precision Bass was the first bass to feature frets?
precision refers to more or less "precise" intonation made possible by frets.

I DID know that!

Doesn't mean I have to like the fuckers.   ;D
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

BrianDamage

Quote from: moose23 on November 09, 2011, 06:49:23 PM
I also cannot stand P basses.  They don't feel good to me, but they do sound alright.

Opposite for me. I prefer the wider neck of the precision.

Like the Jazz body/controls/pickups better though.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Isabellacat

Quote from: Chovie D on November 09, 2011, 11:27:49 AM
for short scale basses, the 70's fenders are fantastic and can be had for $350. Musicmaster Bass.

I also very much like th gibson short scale basses, they are considerably more expensive tho.
This would be nice for miss isabella...

Sweeet! hell yea I can afford that.. I would definitely put stickers on that too.

I used to have a Fender '79 Jazz bass back in the 90's but sold it. Drats wish I had'nt done that.

Isabellacat

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 09, 2011, 01:21:35 AM
I thought you had a V4, Issy? There's your head...

V4 what's that?? I don't have any amps at the moment,not even for my guitars. The Peavey amp I used to have broke a longtime ago. Only amps I've used over the years were borrowed.

Hemisaurus

Well the Epi is only $199, but if it has to be pink there's this for the same price

BrianDamage

I used to have one of these and it was awesome. They have a current production one for like 299. Not sure it would be as good though.

249 actually

http://stjoemusic.com/eb1o.html
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

liquidsmoke

Jazz with P pup for the win although I'm not sure they made a cheap version of that.

blackkrosses

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 09, 2011, 07:20:17 PM
plus to get the damn thing to balance.

Moving a strap peg ain't no thang. You can get it to balance.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: blackkrosses on November 10, 2011, 10:16:31 PM

Oh no you can't.

Epi already put the strap button on the back of the neck, moving it around didn't help. Moving the bottom button round didn't help either. I wonder if they make the painted body ones out of balsa, since the grain isn't seen. I ended up with 2lb of lead shot in the control cavity to balance it, it was that bad.

giantchris

Quote from: BrianDamage on November 09, 2011, 07:55:14 PM
Quote from: moose23 on November 09, 2011, 06:49:23 PM

Opposite for me. I prefer the wider neck of the precision.

Like the Jazz body/controls/pickups better though.
Same I prefer the P neck and the tone sounds thicker to me.  But yeah like Hemi said for a 600$ budget I'd keep the bass price 200 or lower if possible.  Try to get a used Fender MIM or try to grab a Peavey T20 or T40 if you get extremely lucky.  I actually rather like the Hamer Slammer (Made in Korea ones only) P and jazz knockoffs quite a bit.  Could always of course go the Agile/SX route as well and drop upgrades in over time as you get $$$.

The whole P or J debate is a love hate thing.  The end result is one of them will feel better in your hands and thats what you should go with.  Course I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to just trying Ps and Js.

blackkrosses

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 10, 2011, 10:50:41 PM
Quote from: blackkrosses on November 10, 2011, 10:16:31 PM

Oh no you can't.

Epi already put the strap button on the back of the neck, moving it around didn't help. Moving the bottom button round didn't help either. I wonder if they make the painted body ones out of balsa, since the grain isn't seen. I ended up with 2lb of lead shot in the control cavity to balance it, it was that bad.

They're making that bass in full-scale now. quite the sag.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: BrianDamage on November 09, 2011, 09:22:51 PM
I used to have one of these and it was awesome. They have a current production one for like 299. Not sure it would be as good though.

249 actually

Just picked up a vintage one with a pretty cool history:

Neck was a bit snapped, will see how the repair holds.

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Isabellacat

I already put aside some money....gotta say thanks for the suggestions you guys!  :)

Now I have a better idea of what to get. Will post back on this thread when I get my bass.

BrianDamage

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on November 11, 2011, 04:36:49 PM
Quote from: BrianDamage on November 09, 2011, 09:22:51 PM

249 actually

Just picked up a vintage one with a pretty cool history:

Neck was a bit snapped, will see how the repair holds.

Nice. What's that bridge pickup? Bartollini?

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Mr. Foxen

Bill Lawrence. Is as original. The guy who bought it originally from a shot has been in touch and is sending me receipts and stuff, he sold it to Smee.

BrianDamage

Just never saw one like that. Mine had two split P style pickups.

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Discö Rice

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 09, 2011, 08:04:24 PM
Well the Epi is only $199, but if it has to be pink there's this for the same price

I would play this bass.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

Yo Foxy, get me a few more pics, and the serial off that bass, will ya? Ill shoot it to Lorne, the dude who runs the BCR archive...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 12, 2011, 04:48:42 PM
Yo Foxy, get me a few more pics, and the serial off that bass, will ya? Ill shoot it to Lorne, the dude who runs the BCR archive...

He already has the info, I know him, my other BC rich came from him. If you wanna post 'This BC Rich was played by Leo Smee!!!' after every time he posts about his Phil Lynott bass, be my guest, sick of hearing about that. Higher res pics on my blog: http://ampstack.wordpress.com/

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.