Planning to buy a bass amp and a bass.........

Started by Isabellacat, November 08, 2011, 04:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isabellacat

:P

I'm looking to buy some decent bass gear in hopes to join or reform a band soon. I've been wanting to jam again really bad and decided to switch from guitar to bass as my main songwriting instrument this time around.

Just need some good recommendations before I start to really look. What's a good bass amp?

Discö Rice

It's all bold. I'm not sure which word you meant to emphasize. I have no idea how to answer this.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

jibberish

fwiw, i seem to see galleon kruger a lot like for club bands when a combo is used.  

i wonder if anyone makes the ladies version of the ampeg fridge, which comes as 4 2x10's heh.

laugh if you want, i would like that, especially after having the pleasure of wrestling a fridge up out of a basement practice space. fuck that noise.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: jibberish on November 08, 2011, 04:40:15 PM
i wonder if anyone makes the ladies version of the ampeg fridge, which comes as 4 2x10's heh.

Ampeg make that. http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/microvr/

Plus another cab.

Kinda need a budget to work with. New or secondhand? How much do looks matter?

For a rig, a Sansamp VT bpedal/preamp, a cheap Peavey power amp and most of the budget on a nice cab is best way to go, but utterly without style. I'd pretty much be OK with that sort of rig now, although I'd be fussy on the cab.

Corey Y

What sort of tone are you going for and what's your budget? There's more than one way to skin a cat.

SpaceTrucker

Word^ is tube a priority? or the overpriced old solid state amps? or just down right cheap?

Chovie D

Squire Precision bass...used....$150.
amp? May i recommend something small? ampeg combo?

Corey Y

If you just want the best value/tone for the buck get a vintage modified Squier Precision, Ampeg 810 and a decent solid state head like a GK RB series or even a Behringer Ultrabass BX4500H. If you need more dirt, pick up a cheap bottom of the barrel OD/Dist pedal, there's plenty that can be found for $30 brand new. You can find all of those used for cheap. An Ampeg 810 is not a very cheap piece of gear, but there are so many out there you can find functional ones for $300-400 if you're patient and don't mind it being beat up looks wise.

Chovie D

shes a young lady living in an apartment I think? in a major metropolitan area? not sure if she has a car even? first time as a bassist. Id avoid the 8x10.

SpaceTrucker

Yeah, I would go for 2 single 15's If she can't haul those, she aught not even bother with bass.

Corey Y

Plenty of affordable 4x10 cabs out there too. I wouldn't bother with a single 15, unless it's got a really efficient speaker in it. You can get 8x10s so cheap now and they put out so much volume, I think it's worth it to find a way to haul them around, if you're serious and not just dipping a toe in. In the end whatever gets you a result you like is the answer though. I have stronger opinions as a bassist who plays heavy music, but I'll stick to the encouragement.

VOLVO)))

Markbass anything if you just want to jam out.

Classic Vibe P-bass, ay, ay , ay~~~~
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I have a buddy selling his bass rig uber-cheap ($150) but he's in WA, dunno where you are, 300W head and a 15" he's gigged it around the country, it's pretty bombproof. Look in the deals section.

Uber-light gear, TC-Electronic do lightweight heads and cabs, as do Markbass, Genz-Benz and Gallien Krueger, but don't assume being a girl someone can't lift heavy objects, I've worked PA crew with women and watched them haul subs downstairs ;D

Now old farts on the other hand, we appreciate light gear, I need to buy some :)

VOLVO)))

I've seen some cock-strong females. I used to know a chick who could beat me in arm-wrestling. I should have married her, only chick I've ever seen get in a fist fight with a guy that had 30+ pounds on her, and win, without my assistance. To his credit, she was a downright dirty fighter. 30 pounds on her put him at about 150, so I easily had a hundred pounds on him, to put it into perspective. 120 pound female with the arm strength to put me down in arm wrestling.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

I used to have a Markbass Little Mark II and it was a very good amp. 5 lbs and very loud. There was a certain something in the low mids that drove me crazy (in an obsessive knob twiddling way, which I am not into), which is why I got rid of it, but I would still recommend it and they can be had used pretty cheap. One of those items that was all the rage one year, so the market is flooded with used models for cheap at this point.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 08, 2011, 05:47:48 PM
I've seen some cock-strong females. I used to know a chick who could beat me in arm-wrestling. I should have married her, only chick I've ever seen get in a fist fight with a guy that had 30+ pounds on her, and win, without my assistance. To his credit, she was a downright dirty fighter. 30 pounds on her put him at about 150, so I easily had a hundred pounds on him, to put it into perspective. 120 pound female with the arm strength to put me down in arm wrestling.
Dude I was 135lb when I hauled PA, it's all in the legs, not the cock. It's obvious your self employed, otherwise you would have been force-fed some gender sensitivity training by now.

Quote from: Corey Y on November 08, 2011, 05:50:37 PM
I used to have a Markbass Little Mark II and it was a very good amp. 5 lbs and very loud. There was a certain something in the low mids that drove me crazy (in an obsessive knob twiddling way, which I am not into), which is why I got rid of it, but I would still recommend it and they can be had used pretty cheap. One of those items that was all the rage one year, so the market is flooded with used models for cheap at this point.

Isn't that what those weird VPL or VPE controls or something is for?

Corey Y

Yeah, there is a of adjustment with the EQ available, but it was too knob tweaky for my taste. I went through dozens of settings and I was always adjusting the settings trying to get this certain scoop out of the low mids. I've read since that a lot of people have made the same observation, but some people like that voicing. So I can't criticize it as a flaw, just a matter of taste. I'm sure if I could just force myself to be less obsessive I could have used it for the rest of my bass playing days no one would have said anything bad about it. That was never going to happen though.

Worthless Willie

I use a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass-->black Russian Big Muff-->Markbass Little MarkII-->Ampeg 4x10.  It gets the job done.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

BrianDamage

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 08, 2011, 05:47:48 PM

Must not have been your "whackin arm" haha
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Chovie D

this is gonna be another one of those threads where the OP never returns and leaves us arguing endlessly over our suggestions  >:(
so.....

...Just plug into your home stereo.

VOLVO)))

Cock-strong is a turn of phrase, haggisbreath.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Chovie D on November 08, 2011, 06:56:53 PM
this is gonna be another one of those threads where the OP never returns and leaves us arguing endlessly over our suggestions  >:(
so.....

...Just plug into your home stereo.
Got my best sounds that way, amazing what a 20 year old 50W receiver can do.

Baltar

My last bass player had a Markbass, it sounded killer for the size.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

giantchris

The SS distortion on those Markbass LMIIs actually sounds pretty badass nice and grindy a la old acoustics.  

I'd probably try to get a used G&L SB-2 or a P bass of some sort (preferably w/ an active boost).  Personally I think the new Fender Blackout P bass looks pretty badass no clue on pricing though.  For amps I'd probably go the Tech 21 VT bass as pre and use a random old peavey power amp and whatever decent used speakers you can get.  Always been a fan of 12s myself but it kinda depends on what sorta tunings you plan on doing and whether or not you'll be playing a 4 or 5 banger.