New place to buy and sell and meet musicians in Portland Oregon

Started by spookstrickland, November 08, 2011, 01:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

The pdx craigslist has been getting a reputation for flagging peoples adds for little or no reason.  Basically when people have competing adds with each other like they are selling the same thing or looking for the same band member they flag the shit out of each others posts.

So I started a local buy/sell musicians finder forum for Portland Oregon and Vancouver Washington.  It is free to join and there will be no flagging of adds.

http://pdxvancouvermusic.createaforum.com/index.php

Check it out please and spread the word :)
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

neighbor664

You can now buy and sell musicians in Portland? AWESOME! I'm gonna save up for a lesbian bass player.

Chovie D

::)

if people are flaggin your ad, theres something wrong with your ad.
are you one of those guys who includes a sentence like
"sunn, zvex, orange, kustom, marshall, ampeg" at the end of your ad, fucking up EVERYONES searches??
do you have your squire classic vibe listed for $1000?
are you selling a hollowbody described as a "fag guitar"?
do you say stuff like "this amp would be perfect for a lesbian bass player"?
do you mention jesus in your ads "jesus has moved me to sell this sunn PA speaker cabinet for $1200"...?
somethings wrong with your ads..i can only imagine what it might be. ::)

Baltar

Ouch!  I'd forgotten aboot the lez bass player controversy!!!
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 08, 2011, 12:29:05 PM
Does she wear Vans?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

and could i borrow her sunglasses and not return them?

VOLVO)))

Im seriously considering dropping the coin on one of those semi-fag Xavieres if I cant get a Guild Starfire.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Chovie D on November 08, 2011, 11:39:40 AM
::)

if people are flaggin your ad, theres something wrong with your ad.
are you one of those guys who includes a sentence like
"sunn, zvex, orange, kustom, marshall, ampeg" at the end of your ad, fucking up EVERYONES searches??
do you have your squire classic vibe listed for $1000?
are you selling a hollowbody described as a "fag guitar"?
do you say stuff like "this amp would be perfect for a lesbian bass player"?
do you mention jesus in your ads "jesus has moved me to sell this sunn PA speaker cabinet for $1200"...?
somethings wrong with your ads..i can only imagine what it might be. ::)

No it's much more than that.  People will flag your ads if you are selling the same thing as them.  It's happened to my uncle several times and he found out about it after the guy had a falling out with one of his friends who was helping him flag my Uncle's ads.

So I wanted to put up a free site for everyone.  that will not Flag and you can post as much as you want and leave your add up as long as you want.

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

jibberish

would someone please explain exactly what "getting an ad flagged" entails?  i cant envision how a separate 3rd party can affect a classified type listing like that?

Discö Rice

Quote from: neighbor664 on November 08, 2011, 09:19:14 AM
You can now buy and sell musicians in Portland? AWESOME! I'm gonna save up for a lesbian bass player.
I've had two so far. Worth every penny.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Metal and Beer

If flagging leads to deletion without review, that's gonna get abused pretty quickly. If flagging leads to an ad review, then as long as it doesn't violate their Terms, why would it be deleted? You're selling fag guitars* to lezbo bassists* aren't you?   :P

* = old board references
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Chovie D

Quote from: jibberish on November 08, 2011, 04:28:11 PM
would someone please explain exactly what "getting an ad flagged" entails?  i cant envision how a separate 3rd party can affect a classified type listing like that?

you see an add you dont like or that offends you, you click a butto that says 'flag this post", suposedly a moderator checks on the post and removes it. so getting your post flagged gets your add deleted in most cases. on CL I do not beleieve they review flagged posts in the music section, tho i do not know this for a fact. I make this guess based on a poster here in Seattle who gets every post he makes flagged and almost mmediately removed. he is quite famous on our craigs list for being he wrolds largest douchenozzle. i do not believe they could possibly be reveiewing every one of this guys flagged posts as he posts every five minutes every day for the past 6 years(maybe longer?). My suspicion is your post needs to be flagged more than acouple times by different people, then is removed automatically.

The problem with your board Spook, is that you have no built in audience like CL does. you'll never get enought traaffic to move items.
Good luck with it and all, but Id suggest just sucking it up and crafting your posts to be less flagable.
If someone is selling the same item as you(you can search you know) wait a couple days till its gone to post yours. Be clever about it.

VOLVO)))

When I was using CL as my main advertising for my repair shit, guys would post counter-ads saying they could undercut my pricing if you go to them. We used to go to the library in the morning and flag those cocksuckers on all 20 computers.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 08, 2011, 05:44:39 PM
When I was using CL as my main advertising for my repair shit, guys would post counter-ads saying they could undercut my pricing if you go to them. We used to go to the library in the morning and flag those cocksuckers on all 20 computers.

Yes this is what I'm talking about.  Anyone can flag a post for any reason and it only takes like three flags to get it deleted and there is no review.  I've never known anyone to get anything from craigslist asking for more info on thier add it just gets deleted.

I know the traffic is not great now but in the begining neither was craigslist.  that's why I'm trying to get the word out to everyone.

Thanks for checking it out.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Metal and Beer

I highly doubt posts are removed just because they're flagged; like Choves speculated I think it puts them in a queue for moderator review...

Spook, 'member that time you guys started a message board and it turned into a retarded but highly entertaining flame war betwixt HydroZeeN and some flatdicks named Swil?  :::sigh::: those were the good old days ;)

Chovie D

Quote from: Metal and Beer on November 08, 2011, 08:01:08 PM
I highly doubt posts are removed just because they're flagged; like Choves speculated I think it puts them in a queue for moderator review...

Spook, 'member that time you guys started a message board and it turned into a retarded but highly entertaining flame war betwixt HydroZeeN and some flatdicks named Swil?  :::sigh::: those were the good old days ;)

no no no M and B, i was saying i DONT think they get reviewed before deletion, i think you just have to get flagged three times and its auto deleted. i think its "community policed".

still i think theres something wrong if you get flagged three times. Spook cannot be selling that much stuff that he gets flagged three times on everything he posts. He's not offering a service like pedal modding or amp repair so its not like he woud have active competitors hunting down his posts. I never even heard of flagging peoples shit that your selling the same thing as, why not just undercut them by 10$ instead? somethings amiss...
Spook why dont you post your flagged ads here and let us see whats really going on?

Metal and Beer

Ah my bad. I suppose I should look into this whole reading comprehension thing, maybe it'll help meee  :P

RAGER

I've sold plenty of shit on craigslist and never got flagged.  Spook is Vancouver Washington to the bone. With Jesus nonetheless  nuff said
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

I think it depends on location, I have a buddy in Chicago, people are always flagging his ad's, I've read them, they are normal ads, I only have that problem when I use the F word in the musicians wanted section :D

Chovie D

weird i cant imagine getting flagged.

Whats weird is one time I posted a fairly bragadacious and insulting add... pedal steel player looking for a band on Seattles CL.  It said stuff like "I dont wanna rock in your moms basement, I want to melt faces! No Nu-country" etc
didnt get flagged and I got an email from some "producer" in Nashville.

People actually troll criags list in other cities looking for musicians? theres not enough steel players in nashville?
Craigs list can be bizarre....
his email was like "you soundlike you got an attitude, im sure im gonna regret this but we're puting together a band for this hot female singer and you could fly out his week to audition...."

dude , no. I was juts looking for a local shit country band to play the local shit country clubs with, not nashvilles version of sleazy p martini

spookstrickland

It's not just my posts getting flagged and not everyone of my posts gets flagged I've had a lot of success, but I've also been flagged for unknown reasons by Craigslist trolls and my friends so that's why I started up, for everyone.

If it takes off and becomes a nice resource for local musicians that would be great but if not well nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

jibberish

thx for the explanation.  this is parallel to the ebay player who buys from their competitor then posts a bad review. a percent or two of bad reviews gets the account suspended = srs cash loss = totally bogus