Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

So say I have the following pedals:

Chorus
Reverb
Fuzz
Overdrive
Distortion

What order would you put them in on your pedalboard?

justinhedrick

Quote from: deaner33 on November 07, 2011, 03:12:46 PM

Chorus
Reverb
Fuzz
Overdrive
Distortion

overdrive, distortion, fuzz, chorus, reverb.

martha_KH

Quote from: justinhedrick on November 07, 2011, 03:16:51 PM
Quote from: deaner33 on November 07, 2011, 03:12:46 PM

Chorus
Reverb
Fuzz
Overdrive
Distortion

overdrive, distortion, fuzz, chorus, reverb.

This.  You could put the chorus in front of all to make it more subtle.

RAGER

dirt before modulation pedals will accentuate the apex of the swells more
No Focus Pocus

grimniggzy

Dirt before mod is all I can say. From there I'd have to see how each one sounds going into the other.
Only thing I put before dirt is my Octave pedal and then Filters.

justinhedrick

Quote from: grimniggzy on November 07, 2011, 03:31:47 PM
Dirt before mod is all I can say. From there I'd have to see how each one sounds going into the other.

i've never tried an an octave pedal before the dirt. but i use a rat pedal and it sounds better when it's first in line.

VOLVO)))

I run a Compressor > Qtron > Fuzz > Octave > Boost > Reverb > Delay > Delay > Looper
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

some fuzzes do not react kindly to anything being in front of it, on or not. >:(

fuzz>distortion>overdrive>chorus(Id replace with a phaser)>reverb

justinhedrick

Quote from: Chovie D on November 07, 2011, 04:04:09 PM
some fuzzes do not react kindly to anything being in front of it, on or not. >:(

that's true. now, if we were going with personal preference i would leave the overdrive out of the equation, because i like distortion and big fuzzyness.

grimniggzy

Quote from: justinhedrick on November 07, 2011, 03:40:27 PM
Quote from: grimniggzy on November 07, 2011, 03:31:47 PM

i've never tried an an octave pedal before the dirt. but i use a rat pedal and it sounds better when it's first in line.

yeah, mines an OC-2 and wouldn't track worth dick anywhere else in line

Chovie D

Be sure to exxperiment some Deaner, you might find an order you like that breaks the "rules".

I built myself a three loop  bypass pedal for my home rig. Its pretty obnoxious  ;D
This way a fuzz can always come first in the chain..or be behind a wah or phaser if thats what i want.
It has amaster bypass switch in case i want everything off AND out of my signal chain.
This is the trimmed down version with only the effects I use often. i have a couple vibrochamps and a tweed deluxe off to the side with other effects chains going into them, studff Im trying out or just goofing with, not pictured. Tweed deluxe I just plug straight into no effects. yum!
Loop1 :Octane 3 fuzz,Whammy, Foxx Wah, Compresssor
Loop2 :Big Muff (Fuzz),Maestro Phaser, Rat (Dist), Tubescreamer(overdrive)
Loop3: Superfuzz(Fuzz),Pitch Shifter (harmonizer), Tuner, Delay+looper
Reverb comes from a fender tube reverb unit.
tiny brown box far left is an input box I made... it just alllows ME to pick where I plug in my guitar, i can put it anywhere and plug in where I want to rather than having to have a chord coming out of the first loop, its basically juts two jacks wired together in that box...an awesome "invention". The black boxes control tremolos for various amps and my space echo, the silver box in back is the looper I built.

jibberish

i dont have a ton of effects to string together. however, i use some type of reverb almost all the time. between the dist pedal and another effects unit , i've been able to try a lot of combos.  pretty much 100% a reverbed signal screws up going through other effects for me. therefore, the reverb is always last.

that's all i have on this topic.

johnny problem

Quote from: Chovie D on November 07, 2011, 04:04:09 PM

This.  But personal preference would have me put the Distortion after the Overdrive.

fallen

If you're experimenting I'd say for sure try putting your phaser or flanger before your fuzz pedals, pretend it's a wah pedal.

I run wah, octavers, fuzz, phaser, reverb, fuzz, delays, reverb.

It's cool to be able to run dirt before or after modulation for different sounds.

A really good fuzz for this is the Eau Claire Thunder because it has an input trim knob that stops the pedal from getting overloaded.

Fuhgawz

Without knowing exactly what the pedals are, I'd use this order:

Fuzz -> OD -> Distortion -> Chorus -> Reverb

Some Fuzz pedals (mainly Fuzz Face based ones) don't respond well to buffers, so that one goes first. Then there's OD and distortion. If it's something like a Tube Screamer and a Rat you could use the Rat as a standalone distortion pedal and the Tube Screamer to boost it. The chorus goes after the dirt pedals, because not much is left of a chorus effect if you put it before your dirt. The reberb has to go last, because it will make you sound like mud if you put it before anything else.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Fuhgawz on November 12, 2011, 06:33:46 AM
Without knowing exactly what the pedals are, I'd use this order:

Fuzz -> OD -> Distortion -> Chorus -> Reverb

Some Fuzz pedals (mainly Fuzz Face based ones) don't respond well to buffers, so that one goes first. Then there's OD and distortion. If it's something like a Tube Screamer and a Rat you could use the Rat as a standalone distortion pedal and the Tube Screamer to boost it. The chorus goes after the dirt pedals, because not much is left of a chorus effect if you put it before your dirt. The reberb has to go last, because it will make you sound like mud if you put it before anything else.

i've tested rats before and after different drive pedals, and the rat seems to like being first in the chain. even putting a buffered tuner before it makes it sounds slightly different. more . . . fake?