If you want to see how I build an amp, check this photo spread

Started by dunwichamps, November 06, 2011, 08:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At_Giza

At_Giza

Hooray for horses!

Best farm tasks ever.

Now, to find a way for farming and amp building to be combined...

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on November 07, 2011, 04:40:52 PM
Hooray for horses!

Best farm tasks ever.

Animal Amp Farm. I only visit there on weekend when I am away from school to do work.

SpaceTrucker

dude, you ever scare the horses with your loud ass amps?

I'd imagine that your dad must barge in and say "I almost broke my back cause your squeelin' amp sent Precious on a rampage!". And I'm just messin' no need to explain to me. I understand getting sidetracked. Its the story of my life.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on November 07, 2011, 05:10:05 PM
dude, you ever scare the horses with your loud ass amps?

I'd imagine that your dad must barge in and say "I almost broke my back cause your squeelin' amp sent Precious on a rampage!". And I'm just messin' no need to explain to me. I understand getting sidetracked. Its the story of my life.

actually i dont play them there but i probably could rip as loud as I want. I just dont bring gear there

Mr. Foxen

Might be able to find somewhere that does water jet cutting to get small runs of cutting cheap. I've been suing a place my dad found that bought a cutter for making boxes, but only ran it 3 days a week. Persuaded them to start cashing in on the other two days, made scratchplates and such

Chovie D

we got cnc mills and lathes here, waterjet cutter too, plasma cutter, you name it ....

Im not sure at what point it becomes more economical to have your chassis made as opposed to buying em. I would imagine that cost is passed along to your customer anyway?
You build one amp at a time or is there an assembly line of sorts?

Horrible business person here...

dunwichamps

Quote from: Chovie D on November 07, 2011, 05:56:17 PM
we got cnc mills and lathes here, waterjet cutter too, plasma cutter, you name it ....

Im not sure at what point it becomes more economical to have your chassis made as opposed to buying em. I would imagine that cost is passed along to your customer anyway?
You build one amp at a time or is there an assembly line of sorts?

Horrible business person here...

Cost would be transferred to the customer. A custom made chassis would just make my life easier really. If I had all those hole already drilled and the chassis say already painted then I could just buy it and boom not have to worry about drilling tons of shit. Of course this requires some standardization of design so thats where it can be a problem for custom work. I build one offs, sequentially more or less. The reason u see 2 chassis's in that photo set is that I am building a concurrent prototype amp along with the customer build

At_Giza

Quote from: dunwichamps on November 07, 2011, 04:41:39 PM
Quote from: At_Giza on November 07, 2011, 04:40:52 PM
Hooray for horses!

Best farm tasks ever.

Animal Amp Farm. I only visit there on weekend when I am away from school to do work.

I was more thinking of an amp that could double as a combine harvester, but that's cool. I have a place in the woods, but we rent it out. Wish I could just hold up there. I like it out there.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: RAGER on November 07, 2011, 07:21:47 AM
I think I can speak for all of us here.  we are glad that you have arrived.  Another knowledgeable attribute hugely appreciated. 8)

Yep, yep, and I'm good for one of those FB "likes", absolutely.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

Quote from: RAGER on November 07, 2011, 07:45:51 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on November 07, 2011, 04:38:12 PM
Assorted farm tasks of many different natures

Heres some idea of what I am talking about

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100224484927291.2563685.9033443&type=1&l=3e53444617
Wash your hands before you build anything for me plz

well we dont have cows and when we did we weren't breeding them, just killing them for food eventually

the diddler

Goddamn.  How would you feel about reworking a Hiwatt Lead 50R into a Custom 50-type build?

dunwichamps

Quote from: the diddler on November 09, 2011, 10:43:52 PM
Goddamn.  How would you feel about reworking a Hiwatt Lead 50R into a Custom 50-type build?

Is that one of the newer Hiwatt models with 2 channels? (the 50R)

the diddler

From the '80s, PCB build- not much like the standard idea of what a Hiwatt is.  But yeah, 2 channels with reverb- the dirt channel seems pretty shitty and the clean is ok, but I should retube.  Figured I'd look into making it something cool before trying to sell it off

dunwichamps

Quote from: the diddler on November 10, 2011, 04:35:39 AM
From the '80s, PCB build- not much like the standard idea of what a Hiwatt is.  But yeah, 2 channels with reverb- the dirt channel seems pretty shitty and the clean is ok, but I should retube.  Figured I'd look into making it something cool before trying to sell it off

I am fairly busy, probably couldnt happen for a couple of months given my current schedule and this is going to be a little pricey, its more or less a fairly big tear down and rebuild

the diddler

Quote from: dunwichamps on November 10, 2011, 10:14:16 AM

I am fairly busy, probably couldnt happen for a couple of months given my current schedule and this is going to be a little pricey, its more or less a fairly big tear down and rebuild

No real rush on my part.  I may have Verellen take a look at it.  If and when your schedule frees up a bit, keep me in mind

dunwichamps

Quote from: the diddler on November 10, 2011, 10:22:02 AM
Quote from: dunwichamps on November 10, 2011, 10:14:16 AM

No real rush on my part.  I may have Verellen take a look at it.  If and when your schedule frees up a bit, keep me in mind

No problemo man