If you want to see how I build an amp, check this photo spread

Started by dunwichamps, November 06, 2011, 08:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At_Giza

Works, and I wish I had a shop like that, though with more woodworking tools.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

Quote from: RAGER on November 06, 2011, 08:44:30 PM
I'm a shop/grease monkey.  I know what's goin down

if i didnt have the mill or iron worker my life would suck.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

That's awesome. Yeah good machines make all the diff...cheers man
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 06, 2011, 08:47:25 PM
Rad that you fold your own chassis and stuff...

actually i do not fold it, thats a 100$ Weber chassis I mod up to get what I need. Mostly holes for big cap cans and front/back panel shit. I only do full chassis work on shit that I cannot find a suitable initial chassis 4

SpaceTrucker

Link works, Also, I'll be harrassing you via facebook from now on. ;D

Also, their is a machine that people use to bend flashing and make gutters, you think that would bend steel/aluminum? their not as expensive as some of the shit you got. But If I were you I would go to auctions to get that kinda stuff on the cheap.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on November 06, 2011, 11:42:10 PM
Link works, Also, I'll be harrassing you via facebook from now on. ;D

Also, their is a machine that people use to bend flashing and make gutters, you think that would bend steel/aluminum? their not as expensive as some of the shit you got. But If I were you I would go to auctions to get that kinda stuff on the cheap.

Yes it would be cheaper to do it from raw materials but a ton of extra work and vigilance to make perfectly measured out holes. The best solution for me would be to have a custom laser cut chassis made by a local shop but the quantity required is soo large and given my custom work it would be difficult to make everything fit one 100/200W chassis. I am still contemplating this tho as I usually mod this exact same chassis for all 100W builds

I see you have already trolled my pic, good good. Glad someones paying attention to my shit. The turret board came out fuckin mint!

dunwichamps

RAGER

I think I can speak for all of us here.  we are glad that you have arrived.  Another knowledgeable attribute hugely appreciated. 8)
No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

hope i am useful for learning shit. Ill post more photos into that album as the amp comes together

jibberish

jibberish

have you ever rummaged through like mcmaster-carr or one of those industrial supply mega-places to se what kind of metal boxes they have that may be suitable for amp building?  we used to do a lot of NEMA stuff for the guv'ment and for special processes in explosive atmospheres.   man did engineering have a ton of different boxes and stamped metal enclosures for R&D

an engineering trick, which i use constantly, is to see if something exists in super mass production for another industry that you can steal and use with minimal modification in your industry.  i'll walk around home depot or the killer hardware store, just looking at everything and the suitability for maybe other things i'm pondering at the time.
or browse online through some topic.

an example: PC power supplly. MINT precision supply for really retarded cheap, considering how nice it is.

stamped metal parts are dirt cheap once the tooling is made.  stamped boxes are easily made too.
i'm looking at everything?lunchpails? toolboxes? see..that stuff isnt too far out of line for cabinets..anyway, tangential thinking...

dunwichamps

The 2nd thing u mentioned is something I normally do. I buy webers 100W chassis then slightly mod it for my own purposes.

on side note, the influx of likes wouldnt be from all yall checkin my shit out would it?

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on November 07, 2011, 07:21:47 AM
I think I can speak for all of us here.  we are glad that you have arrived.  Another knowledgeable attribute hugely appreciated. 8)

When's the wedding?  ;D ;D ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 07, 2011, 03:42:50 PM
Quote from: RAGER on November 07, 2011, 07:21:47 AM

When's the wedding?  ;D ;D ;D

all legal in CT, come on down

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 07, 2011, 03:59:18 PM
They get all the power restored up there?

Not yet, no. Lucky tho at UCONN we have our own power plant.

SpaceTrucker

Nice to see that board came out right side up. We don't need a resident Amp guru to get jolted with that much amperage. I bet it was too much coffee, yeah, too much "Coffee". ;)

dunwichamps

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on November 07, 2011, 04:07:43 PM
Nice to see that board came out right side up. We don't need a resident Amp guru to get jolted with that much amperage. I bet it was too much coffee, yeah, too much "Coffee". ;)

I just goofed on the picture, board is the wrong way if looked at it from perspective of drill mask but no it was not coffee that shit taste fucking awful. I just spent 2 days doing all the work, with many interruptions (driving gf to work cuz she got a flat tire) and helping my dad do assorted farm tasks.

That board is pretty much bulletproof. the drill bit I was given to tap the turret holes leaves the turret really snug even before you flange the end over. I got big double turrets to fit the damn huge leads Sozo caps have