Peavey Butcher cabinet choice.

Started by hashbrowns, November 02, 2011, 11:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hashbrowns

So as of tonight I am the official owner of a Peavey Butcher. It's one of the old ones from the 80's. Looks sexy as hell. Only problem is, he's all alone. I don't own a speaker cabinet yet and god damn the suspense is killing me, can't wait to plug this sucker in. Anyway, now I have to find and purchase a 412 for this guy. Any of you guys have any suggestions for good underrated cabs? I'm looking to get one of craigslist for around 150 200 so it should be something like a crate, peavey, or randall. I know that there are perfectly good cabs out there that have a "uncool" logo I'm just not sure which ones. Any ideas?
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

VOLVO)))

Crate used to load their shit with Celestions... Peavey 4x12s with Sheffields, or Celestions... oddball ones...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hashbrowns

Really? Badass I'll look into that. Do you know any specific models to look for, or will any peavey, crate do?
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

VOLVO)))

They're usually branded "Celestions!"

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 02, 2011, 11:58:32 PM
of course, real men use Fane :)

Real men also have a budget of less than 130 bucks per speaker. :D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Hey my bass amp had a Fane, I paid 60-ish quid for it back in the last century ;)

hashbrowns

Haha yeah I know celestions are a brand of speakers. I meant is there any way to tell which peavey and crate cabs are good like model numbers that I should look for. The craigslist adds usually don't mention what speakers they're loaded with. Anyway thanks for the advice I'll just look for one with celestions in it.

VOLVO)))

Or ask the dickheads what they're loaded with? Take a fuckin' screwdriver! I always do!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Buy the cheap cab, built like a brick shithouse, and ignore the rest of us ;)

But don't buy Crate, seriously :o

VOLVO)))

I buy most every Crate cab I see from the early 80's all the way up to 1995 or so. If it's got celestions, it's mine. I strip the speaks, sell 'em on ebay or locally, strip the hardware, ditch the wood, unless I want some new furniture or something.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, and your so broke your selling your Mockingbird :D

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 03, 2011, 12:15:13 AM
Yeah, and your so broke your selling your Mockingbird :D

UNRELATED OCCURRENCE.  ;D ;D

Slow week, is all.

EDIT: Slow week at the end of the month = broke all month

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

A $50 Legion 4x12 would do the job just fine y'know.

Hemisaurus

If you were in San Jose, MGR would sell you a rough 4x12 for $30 :)

Actually wish I was in San Jose now. :-\

VOLVO)))

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/msg/2665563571.html

How about this?

That phone number looks like mine!

IT IS MY PHONE NUMBER!

(I'm selling it)

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Peavey MS412 is the correct cab (I think).

I've bought two with Celestions (sold one). They're a little scooped sounding (good lows but need more mids). Both in the 150 dollar range.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

SpaceTrucker

Beware of the Sheffields, Icepicky like a bitch.

dogfood

What'd the JCM800 era Marshall 4x12 come with?  V30s? or G1275s?  I'd get used cab with V30s.  I bet that'd be gravy for the Butcher biscuit.
Problem solving whiskey!

Iron Mtn

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 03, 2011, 12:30:16 AM

How about this?

IT IS MY PHONE NUMBER!

(I'm selling it)

Damn! I already own two of those and I love those cabs (almost as much as my fuzzy Randall Jaguar cab).
Great price, wish I lived closer, i'd snap it up in a heartbeat....

Lumpy

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on November 05, 2011, 12:29:21 AM
Beware of the Sheffields, Icepicky like a bitch.

Yes sir, the MS412 can come with Sheffields or Celestions (G12-K85). I think Jake had a cab with the Sheffields and said it wasn't bad (or maybe I'm tripping). Mine has the Celestions and it's not quite perfect, but definitely workable. Also, sometimes, you can solve probs. using smart EQ and emphasizing the tones you want via stompboxes, pickups, strings etc (the other elements in your signal chain). It all contributes.

Other times, you're better off holding out for exactly the cabinet you want, especially if you have the $$$

If I lived in Florida I would buy that Acoustic cab. If all speakers are working, that's almost the bro price.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 03, 2011, 12:30:16 AM

How about this?

IT IS MY PHONE NUMBER!

(I'm selling it)

god damnit. if we weren't thousands of miles apart . . .

BrianDamage

I have the ms412 with Sheffields and I like the way it sounds. It's kinda ratty and cheap sounding but so are all my favorite guitar tones. But what works for me may be a nightmare for you.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

SpaceTrucker

It could have been my midrange crazy eq. But I find sheffields very bright compared to eminence.

nonoman

I bought a Peavey ms4x12 with blown Sheffields for $75 and a local friend sold me a brand new set of Celestion gt12-75s for $125. I set SunnO)))s old Butcher on it and it sounds great!
No good deed goes unpunished.