Fix a strap button for good

Started by chille01, November 02, 2011, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chille01

Last night my strap button ripped out of the wood. I've heard various people talk about toothpick and woodglue fixes, but it seems a little iffie to me.  What is the proper way to fix this with minimum special tools required, and have it be fixed for good?

Thanks!

VOLVO)))

Toothpicks and wood glue...

OR

drill it oot, dowel it, retap with a 16th in bit, and reinsert strap button.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Baltar

Yeah, the toothpics and glue are the best.  I was in the Carpenter's Union, and that's a pretty standard fix.  We used woodglue all the time for GM, Toyota and Nissan displays.  You'd be surprised how strong it is.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

chille01

Thanks guys. Sounds like the toothpick fix is more legit than I thought. So what, just jam the hole full of toothpicks and glue, let it set, and then reset the screw? Or is there more finesse than that?

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

yesca

same thing happened to both my les pauls and i just filled the hole with broken toothpicks and its worked okay still occasionally have it fall out but i just put in more toothpicks. i should try the wood glue next time

blackkrosses

I've done toothpicks and wood glue on MANY guitars and it has never failed me.

Worthless Willie

Put the screw back in while the glue is still wet. 
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

The Shocker

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 02, 2011, 08:09:22 PM
Toothpicks and wood glue...

That's how I'm fixing the holes in that Yamaha you sent me.

jibberish

my second ibanez got the oversized screw+giant washer a'la M&B treatment. i could whirl tha thing around like a weapon..."ain' no fallin' apart, nohow"