Main Menu

New Orange amps

Started by Chalupacabra, November 02, 2011, 04:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalupacabra

Yay or Nay?

I was looking into the Orange TH30H. Saw it was made in China so I don't know the reliability of it.

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

At_Giza

As they said. Some are good, some aren't. The handwired series are a little better than the rest, but then again, that doesn't mean much. :P

dunwichamps

Eck. Well its as good as any other commercial amp in its range. FYI, its not running in Class A, thats the usual bullshit manufacturers put on their amp when they run a push pull set of El84s cathode biased. (like the Vox AC-30 is not running in Class A despite what was advertised)

justinhedrick

Quote from: dunwichamps on November 02, 2011, 04:56:26 PM
Eck. Well its as good as any other commercial amp in its range. FYI, its not running in Class A, thats the usual bullshit manufacturers put on their amp when they run a push pull set of El84s cathode biased. (like the Vox AC-30 is not running in Class A despite what was advertised)

were AC30s EVER running class A? i thought the original design was a class A.

Mr. Foxen

I reckon unless its up cheap, you can do better at the price, Orange valve stuff seems to be overpriced for chinese made amps, nothing wrong with them, but the branding is too expensive.

Baltar

Go for something point-to-point from a smaller mfgr.  Or have someone on the board build you one.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

dunwichamps

Quote from: justinhedrick on November 02, 2011, 05:16:21 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on November 02, 2011, 04:56:26 PM

were AC30s EVER running class A? i thought the original design was a class A.

myth was they ran Class A push pull but some analysis shows thats bullshit

http://www.aikenamps.com/VoxAC30classA_2.html

dunwichamps

Quote from: Baltar on November 02, 2011, 05:31:04 PM
Go for something point-to-point from a smaller mfgr.  Or have someone on the board build you one.

someone could build him a modded 18Wer with an Orange OR channel

justinhedrick

Quote from: dunwichamps on November 02, 2011, 05:33:10 PM

and it would probably sound nicer AND be louder than the 30 watt orange. those new oranges seem like they are overated on their wattage . . . and biased cold.

dunwichamps

Quote from: justinhedrick on November 02, 2011, 05:35:41 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on November 02, 2011, 05:33:10 PM

and it would probably sound nicer AND be louder than the 30 watt orange. those new oranges seem like they are overated on their wattage . . . and biased cold.

4 x 6v6 would give ya 36W. 2 channel 18/36W marshall based design with 2 channels summed at the PI, one channel could be Marshall/Fender, other could be Orange or whatever

VOLVO)))

Nick could clone you one for the same price, or slightly less... methinks?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 02, 2011, 05:48:51 PM
Nick could clone you one for the same price, or slightly less... methinks?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

yes i could with better quality too boot

id need a schematic tho

i could build one out of the 36W weber kit as a base

Hemisaurus

Hey Nick, if it wasn't for the front panel space I'd say why not build him a mod-kit amp, and add a triode mode, for the power tubes?

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 02, 2011, 06:52:10 PM
Hey Nick, if it wasn't for the front panel space I'd say why not build him a mod-kit amp, and add a triode mode, for the power tubes?

yea i had a similar thought. Wish it had more space then you could get some more tubes on their but hey its good for a single channel banger

Jake

I hate to be the one always jumping in and defending new Oranges, but I've got a 2009 Thunderverb 50 and it's really a very nice amp. I can't speak for the entire product line, but I've never had a problem with mine. I don't lug it on around the world tours or anything remotely like that, but it's built pretty damn solidly.

One reason I bought it was the built in attenuator. That, and the fact that it's got 2 channels means that I can get a shitload of tones out of it. Sludge to shred. Glassy to crunchy.

Are they overpriced? Probably. Are they better or worse than vintage Oranges? That's really an apples to oranges comparison (pardon the pun). Are they chintzy junk? Not at all.

YMMV.
poop.

Worthless Willie

I went through two RV50 combos, and an AD140 over the course of a year.  Pure shit.  Explody.

Got full store credit, after a year, and spent half of it on an '81 JCM800.  Zero problems.

What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith