Main Menu

phasers?

Started by justinhedrick, October 26, 2011, 11:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

i've never had one. i think i want one. what kind do you folks have?

hemi, i have a small clone pedal (that is busted, go figure!) could you turn it into a small stone?

Hemisaurus

not easily if the schematics I have are correct, completely different methodology and chips.

send it on, I can add it to the pile.

justinhedrick

hmm. i thought i read something about an easy mod. maybe it was to turn the chorus into a vibe. that must be it . . .

Hemisaurus

Long as the delay chip is OK.

fallen

I have a Small Stone but I always end up going back to my '80s Boss PS-1r. Run it at 12V and it's my favorite phaser for running before dirt pedals. Turn the resonance up high and it will sometimes start to osolate on high notes during it's sweep.

I've had it for a really long time so it's possible that my ears are tuned to it at this point.

Volume

I have a MXR Phase90 and a Red Witch Moon Phaser. The MXR is simple and great. The Red Witch is a lot more versatile, but it doesn't go slow enough for me and it looks like it just crapped out on me. :(

Hemisaurus

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Type_Phaser&ci=14731&N=4225641373+4294957084

C'mon 3 phasers all $24, small stone clone, MXR90 clone, and Boss PH-2 clone, no brainer. Don't spend shit-tons until your sure, I always seem to prefer slow flanging to phasing. Either that or maybe you should get a small multi-fx, or a digi-delay with modulation. My ancient Ibanez delay has control settings, for flanging, chorus and phasing on it.

Chovie D

nothing can phase me

I have:
Roland Phase 2
Maestro
Mutron 2
Phase 90
Phase 45
EVH phase 90
Ibanez soundtank
Danelectro
Smalltone (russian)

MY fave is Maestro, followed, by Mutron and Roland,..but those are harder to find vintage jammies.
Id start out with a phase 90 or a smallstone.

If you only got $20 you could get a behringer copy, or the little danelectro which is a phase 90 copy. not as good tho.

Corey Y

Phasers aren't aggressive enough for me, I use a disruptor (Type III). Stun settings are for the weak.

...or an EHX Nano Small Stone, if you want a serious answer.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 27, 2011, 08:34:58 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Type_Phaser&ci=14731&N=4225641373+4294957084

C'mon 3 phasers all $24, small stone clone, MXR90 clone, and Boss PH-2 clone, no brainer. Don't spend shit-tons until your sure, I always seem to prefer slow flanging to phasing. Either that or maybe you should get a small multi-fx, or a digi-delay with modulation. My ancient Ibanez delay has control settings, for flanging, chorus and phasing on it.

i already have a flanger. I like it. i just think that a phaser sounds more . . . gnarly?

Chovie D

wel you can use phasers for different things. van halens phase 90 acted like a boost...those old ones added a certain amount of grit and the phase is subtle engought to not be overbearing. phaser can be used for an almost leslie like swirl, or a psychey tremolo type sound, Beast of Burden for the stones, Diamond Sea by sonic youth, or Waylonjennings, or Tom Sawyer..all very different sounds, all phasers.

hmm.. you want a gnarly phaser? then the phase 90 isnt the one for you. its very subtle.and theres no control over the depth (gnarliness), only rate(speed). Boss, Ibanez, ross, I think those have more gnarl.

Cursed71

Maxon reissue, I don't recall the model.  Blue box mxr size sounds like a phase 90.  Just started using it again and now I can't stop.

moose23

I swear by my Phase90 with the R28 mod, have a Russian Small stone too and am building matching script 90s with depth pots for myself and the guitarist in the band. An oscillator into the small stone leads to great swooshing space sounds ala Hawkwind.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Cursed71 on October 27, 2011, 01:40:49 PM
Maxon reissue, I don't recall the model.  Blue box mxr size sounds like a phase 90.  Just started using it again and now I can't stop.
Blue box is a square wave octaver (I think), I'm building something similar into my SS preamp.

moose23

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 27, 2011, 02:02:29 PM
Blue box is a square wave octaver (I think), I'm building something similar into my SS preamp.

I think he meant the Maxon phaser that's in an blue MXR size enclosure..

Phase Tone PT999 I believe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R91tlT-QEKM

Hemisaurus

Quote from: moose23 on October 27, 2011, 02:31:20 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 27, 2011, 02:02:29 PM

I think he meant the Maxon phaser that's in an blue MXR size enclosure..

Phase Tone PT999 I believe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R91tlT-QEKM

Ta, for clearing that up :)

Danny G

Big fan of the Phase 90.

I've tried building Phase 90 and Phase 45 clones but unfortunately the store-bought just sounded better. I was bummed.

The R28 mod is good for a Phase 90, put a toggle switch on it. On for slower swishy phase, off for a higher rate and more univibe sound.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Hemisaurus

Funny, the clone comes with the mod fitted already ;D

Chovie D

Ive had a few phase 90's. The earlier ones sound much better to me. They have a gritty quality that the reissues/clones dont seem to, even witht the mod switches.

moose23

My clones will have the switch too. Suppose I should find some Orange paint or does anyone have different colour suggestions. Maybe sanded Aluminum or white with orange knobs?

Hemisaurus

Green? With the chunky MXR style knobs. Well depending how many knobs, if it's a single control a big 2" knob a la old radio's / Matamp / Orange / Green might be nice.

grimniggzy

I like the Phase 100. A few more options never hurt anyone, everyone's looking for something different.

Chovie D

Quote from: grimniggzy on October 27, 2011, 04:22:45 PM
I like the Phase 100. A few more options never hurt anyone, everyone's looking for something different.

i need to find and old one to complete my collection.

Hemisaurus

Everything but phase dangit.

Seriously though, if you see a cheap multifx rack or stomp, it's worth having just so you can audition effects you may or may not decide to buy in their 'real life' form. Musicgoround are chucking out used Behringer DSP2024P for $40 unfortunately they want another $25 for ship, maybe you have a friend in Kentucky will send it on to you.

I've had mine maybe 12 years now, I bought it when I was still in Chicago, can't remember exactly. It was in my amp rig, and dragged around as a backup preamp, and I did have to use it one time when I thought my preamp had bit the dust, and it's fuzz pedal setting saved my ass as a preamp, but anyhoo, nice piece of kit, for cheap, for every kind of stupid FX you can think of (just one at a time though, unless you want like something+reverb or something+delay, it has combo settings for those).

moose23

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 27, 2011, 04:18:33 PM
Green? With the chunky MXR style knobs. Well depending how many knobs, if it's a single control a big 2" knob a la old radio's / Matamp / Orange / Green might be nice.

I have one of the big ones on my meathead clone kinda MXR style with the metal disc on top (that now has a switchable green ringer built in) but this is a two knobber. Orange and green is way to patriotic round here otherwise I'd agree but I'd say green knobs on an orange case.

Would like a Phase 100 at some point too if for no other reason than this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De4tqC2vQOU