hemi, how is your meathead clone?

Started by justinhedrick, October 25, 2011, 05:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

i don't has one . . . but from listening to the demos online i wants . . . i wants bad.

VOLVO)))

Me too, wanna make one for me out of this RAT2 box?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 25, 2011, 07:53:54 PM
i don't has one . . . but from listening to the demos online i wants . . . i wants bad.
Send me your muff, I'll turn it into a supercollider. ;D

Go start listening to demoes of that.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 25, 2011, 07:58:33 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on October 25, 2011, 07:53:54 PM
Send me your muff, I'll turn it into a supercollider. ;D

Go start listening to demoes of that.

listened to it. sounds cool. i'm assuming the ramshead is an easier mod?

Hemisaurus

Dunno, haven't seen the muffs yet, depending on the revision it could need a lot of changes, or not so much, rams head / supercollider / swollen pickle all are muffs ;)

dunwichamps

if you want a meathead clone you can grab a FAC OFF from the first run, you can get meathead normal to meathead dark and beyond by flipping the FAC control around

VOLVO)))

I really want one Nick, but I have to wait for the honeymoon period on both of the pedals I bought off Mark to wear off, before I buy one... :( :D :D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 26, 2011, 12:57:21 AM
I really want one Nick, but I have to wait for the honeymoon period on both of the pedals I bought off Mark to wear off, before I buy one... :( :D :D

i have 3 left in the run to build, hopefully they dont go. I can try to hold on to one for you tho

Hemisaurus

Are you changing input and output caps, or are you just keeping a large output cap and flipping the input cap?

Seems like you could almost do it with two caps and a pot a la supercollider, I've got a 100K pot here, maybe I should give it a go.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 26, 2011, 09:16:40 AM
Are you changing input and output caps, or are you just keeping a large output cap and flipping the input cap?

Seems like you could almost do it with two caps and a pot a la supercollider, I've got a 100K pot here, maybe I should give it a go.

input and output caps simultaneously on a dual 6 pos rotary.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 26, 2011, 09:16:40 AM

that would give you like a shelving filter, which would work also. I am doing both in and out so a dual pot would get you the same effect. Tailor the C and R for your taste

Hemisaurus

Well the switch is $3 from the shack, and the caps, if you follow the original Meathead, the ratio is 2:1 so 10nF in 22nF out, and the dark is 5x that, I remember I suggested to Clydesdale 10x that, so maybe going up in 5's would be fun, say 10, 47, 100, 470, 1000, 4700 nF on the input and 22, 100, 220, 1000, 2200, 10000 nF on the output, that's going to be fairly drastic changes though.

That said, as I have the 100K pot, and the 10uF caps, maybe I should just bump up the output cap, and add the input mod, then again, as I've been using it as a vocal preamp, maybe I won't ;D

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 26, 2011, 09:30:51 AM
Well the switch is $3 from the shack, and the caps, if you follow the original Meathead, the ratio is 2:1 so 10nF in 22nF out, and the dark is 5x that, I remember I suggested to Clydesdale 10x that, so maybe going up in 5's would be fun, say 10, 47, 100, 470, 1000, 4700 nF on the input and 22, 100, 220, 1000, 2200, 10000 nF on the output, that's going to be fairly drastic changes though.

That said, as I have the 100K pot, and the 10uF caps, maybe I should just bump up the output cap, and add the input mod, then again, as I've been using it as a vocal preamp, maybe I won't ;D

i use a 2:1 ratio and scale 2 up and 2 down from the normal 10/22nF meathead combo. However i think in the production Ill cut the range because after you go to far in either direction is becomes out of control. I am thinking of maxing at 220nF/100nF for guitar (higher for bass versions) while not going below 10nF (larger on bass version) on the intput. after that you get into such a sharp range its not very useable. Good to have more intermediate steps which are more useable. Just like on the wizard amps.

Hemisaurus

Wouldn't it just be easier to use your dual pot idea then? You can get all the range and subtle tweaks.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 26, 2011, 09:40:34 AM
Wouldn't it just be easier to use your dual pot idea then? You can get all the range and subtle tweaks.

I could but the FAC is cooler. I am a orange/matamp whore. The FAC is nostalgic.

plus cant beat FAC OFF as a name at this moment.

Maybe Ill make another pedal with dual passive shelving filters.

here is a simulation of a FAC vs a Shelf off the plate of a 12ax7 with a flat EQ on the stage itself. FAC Cap ranges from 220nF to 4.7n while shelf is a combination of a 1n cap in parallel with a series combo of a series 1 meg log pot and 220nF cap

500k load on both, blue trace is shelf, FAC is green trace, right click and hit view image for larger resolution

VOLVO)))

Sell 'em, don't wait up for me, haha!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 26, 2011, 12:56:21 PM
Sell 'em, don't wait up for me, haha!

i can build you a custom one with the shelving filters instead. I have an extra pcb from the bunch i was saving. if you get GAS let me know

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 26, 2011, 01:36:30 PM
Hey, you fuck off! ^^^^^^^^ ;D ;D

lol, no worries my man. I will hook u up regardless

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 26, 2011, 12:57:21 AM
Seriously!? You can't just build the damn thing, even the original didn't use a circuit board.