Main Menu

Best None Gibson SG???

Started by spookstrickland, October 24, 2011, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

Quote from: Chovie D on October 25, 2011, 12:05:43 PM
Id just buy a 70's gibson. The SGII's are still fairly cheap. Like this one that i got for $375 (ten years ago). ive seen em recently for 5-6 bills tho...absouletly wonderful guitar great neck, shittiest pickup ever (gibson minibuckers), but you replace those wiht the lollar minibuckers and your golden.

El Corazon/Graceland/The Off Ramp?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

yeah for a while they were having shows in the front room. I am guessing that photo was the last time I set foot in that joint and thats was probably I dunno 5 years ago? i think its changed names about 5 times since then too.

i remember when i visited seattle a long time before moving here and the place was called the offramp, saw a show there and thought it was a pretty good club

Discö Rice

I've seen a number of shows in their front room. Botch (under the name Everyone Gets Laid) and Thrones come to mind. Dead Low Tide, too.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Chovie D on October 25, 2011, 02:22:15 PM
yeah for a while they were having shows in the front room. I am guessing that photo was the last time I set foot in that joint and thats was probably I dunno 5 years ago? i think its changed names about 5 times since then too.

i remember when i visited seattle a long time before moving here and the place was called the offramp, saw a show there and thought it was a pretty good club

i think that place is mentioned in the TAD documentary. the singer from ZEKE recounts some story, i want to say.

Chovie D

its a fairly well know seattle club. Is it the club in the movie Singles when Alice in CHains is playing? I cant remember.
i think that front room was a new deal? they were serving food too i remember...grilled cheeses , tatertots??, fries. That photo was from a sorta lo fi punk band I was in called Master Blaster with Adrian from Valis. fun band, drummer moved to portland about 6 months into it tho.

I shared a practice space with Dead Low Tide breifly when I was playing in a band called the Bronze. Think I was in that band about 3 months . that space was right off Pike and i wanna say 12th but I have no sense of seattle downtown streets. Its fairly near the Vomet.

Discö Rice

Crybaby Studios, or the Chophouse? I used to practice at the Chophouse. Everyone else I knew was like 150 feet away at Crybaby.

Chovie D

i think it was/is called the chophouse. (totally awesome name  ::))
Had horrible bleed thru the walls, you could really hear your neighbors...which in our case was a losing battle for them as we were stupidly loud. i think Coady and Jarred started up BB about year after I was in there with DLT.

I wish Big Business had never joined the melvins...I didnt really know them all that well but I was really glad they were seattle-ites and playing in local bands.

justinhedrick

chovie, what group were you in again?

RacerX

I believe he was in Soundhoney or Mudgarden, or maybe Green Lovebone? Mother River? Gottdam heroin.

Nevetheless, ChovieD's most renowned outfit was Kung Pao.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

Kung Pao in NYC for 5? years, In Seattle for 3 months it was the Bronze, then after that Master Blaster, then Musk Ox , then All Time High..and since then about  a half dozen country-americana-ish bands that arent worth mentioning. supposedly in a doom band called Brutus now, but we havent had  practiced #1 yet.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Chovie D on October 25, 2011, 06:14:34 PM
Kung Pao in NYC for 5? years, In Seattle for 3 months it was the Bronze, then after that Master Blaster, then Musk Ox , then All Time High..and since then about  a half dozen country-americana-ish bands that arent worth mentioning. supposedly in a doom band called Brutus now, but we havent had  practiced #1 yet.

did one of your bands play emissions?

Lumpy

supposedly in a doom band called Brutus now, but we havent had  practiced #1 yet.

That sounds ideal...

Also, there's a different band called Musk Ox playing NYC soon :(
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 25, 2011, 07:55:21 PM

Yep, I saw Kung Pao in 2004 at Emissions...they were crowd pleasers, cool rock
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Mr. Foxen

I just got this, its actually pretty well made, pickup is a little microphonic if you abuse it on purpose. Probably not a keeper for some reason:

Chovie D

Quote from: Metal and Beer on October 25, 2011, 09:42:40 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on October 25, 2011, 07:55:21 PM

Yep, I saw Kung Pao in 2004 at Emissions...they were crowd pleasers, cool rock

hey thanks M&B! Kung Pao played the first 4-5 emissions fests, including the very first year and the one in chicago a year or so later. missed a couple years then reunited for 2004?  so what was the first emissions fest like? No patio, no food vendors, much smaller crowds..but still a blast.

The Shocker

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on October 26, 2011, 05:59:57 PM
I just got this, its actually pretty well made, pickup is a little microphonic if you abuse it on purpose. Probably not a keeper for some reason:

What is the brand?  It's the same guitar as my Arbor I posted.

Mr. Foxen

Branded Gould. Set neck. All this shit comes out the same factory. you just tack on your logo and headstock shape to order.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

hashbrowns

I know that I'll have to run and hide as soon as I post this but...... I got an epiphone sg from a good friend of mine for 80 bucks. This thing is awesome to me. I really like the way it plays and holds a tune. Doesn't sound tooooo great but I'm pretty sure thats the shitty electronics. The thing is this is an older model and I had to play probably 50 different epiphones before I found one I liked.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

The Shocker

Quote from: hashbrowns on October 26, 2011, 10:07:48 PM
I know that I'll have to run and hide as soon as I post this but...... I got an epiphone sg from a good friend of mine for 80 bucks. This thing is awesome to me. I really like the way it plays and holds a tune. Doesn't sound tooooo great but I'm pretty sure thats the shitty electronics. The thing is this is an older model and I had to play probably 50 different epiphones before I found one I liked.

Dude, if you like it that's all that counts.

hashbrowns

Yeah haha I was just joking about the bad rep epiphones get.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Lumpy on October 26, 2011, 09:43:30 PM
How much?

Asking what I paid, or what I'll let it go for? I've stuck it in local shop asking £75 for it, worth my while flipping it for that. It was a bargain. Wouldn't surprise if it is the same factory as epiphones. Feels a lot like my G400 but less beat to shit.

Ranbat

Quote from: hashbrowns on October 26, 2011, 10:07:48 PM

Bolt-on or set neck? If it's a set neck you did pretty good for $80. I've owned a couple of the Korean made ones and they were solid. Nothing wrong with an Epi at the right price.
Meh :/

Chovie D

I've played some really nice epi's and the old ones are amazing.

I like some squiers too, both companies did a great job with their low budget brands.

Metal and Beer

*Broken Record Alert *

There are different quality levels across the different Epiphones, all the way from better-than-newer/many-Gibsons down to the 79 dollar bolt-neck cheapies with pre-warped necks...also, what Choves said (some of the Squires are excellent)

I like those pink/pastel-blue one p/u copies in this thread....especially the pink one <3
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"