Main Menu

Favorite fuzz pedal kit

Started by clockwork green, October 20, 2011, 10:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volume

I did the Leeds Fuzz too, it sounded really good... 'till it died. :(

Haven't gotten around to fixing it, made it a couple of weeks ago.

spookstrickland

It's not a Fuzz but it's a bad ass vintage kit build.  If you have not seen this guys other videos and pedal collection you are in for a treat.  Really awesome dude!

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Chovie D

Quote from: Volume on October 29, 2011, 03:56:21 AM

woah! The dude who runs BYOC is very cool , at least in my experience...maybe you got a bum transistor? or more likely a short somewhere? Its a tight fit in that case, especially around where the jacks are, could be somethingis touching there and shorting it out.
Use the BYOC forums to troubleshoot, then contact dude for replacement parts if needed...ive found him to be very helpful and fast..of course I live in the same state as him so maybe thats why its so fast... ??? gluck

that kit looks cool Spook, I ike when they do it TROO to the original, even the built in guitar cable and faceplate...

spookstrickland

Quote from: Chovie D on October 30, 2011, 11:29:26 AM
Quote from: Volume on October 29, 2011, 03:56:21 AM

woah! The dude who runs BYOC is very cool , at least in my experience...maybe you got a bum transistor? or more likely a short somewhere? Its a tight fit in that case, especially around where the jacks are, could be somethingis touching there and shorting it out.
Use the BYOC forums to troubleshoot, then contact dude for replacement parts if needed...ive found him to be very helpful and fast..of course I live in the same state as him so maybe thats why its so fast... ??? gluck

that kit looks cool Spook, I ike when they do it TROO to the original, even the built in guitar cable and faceplate...

I'm hoping the price comes down a little on that kit then I'm going to build one.  99.00 british pounds what would that be like 150 us?
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Chovie D

fuck that, i could find an original for that much money. >:(

justinhedrick

i'm thinking i want to build an MXR type distortion along with a warm fuzz face type pedal in the same box, running parallel to each other.

those are simple circuits, no? i'd start with the fuzz face and go from there.

Hemisaurus

How do you want to split and mix the signals?

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 31, 2011, 11:49:13 AM

passively and parallel, i guess?  ???

it would be just like having a splitter that feeds the 2 pedals, and then combines them.

dunwichamps

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 31, 2011, 11:54:44 AM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 31, 2011, 11:49:13 AM

passively and parallel, i guess?  ???

it would be just like having a splitter that feeds the 2 pedals, and then combines them.

well when you passively combine them say with a resistive mixer (ala bassman/plexi/modelT.....) they tend to act on one and another which may work well if you like that.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, basically are you going for a straight passive split? Do you want to recombine them 50/50 and have the level of each effect set a balance, or do you want to blend them?

Do you already have the effects? I could probably knock you up a six jack box, to split, feed the two pedals, get the signals back, and combine (or blend them)?

VOLVO)))

That reminds me, Herb, you know those weird phase push boxes that Gentry of Eagle Twin uses, and he got SunnO)))/Boris/etc hooked on, so all of your speaker cabs push the same phase... what the fuck are those?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 31, 2011, 02:56:19 PM
That reminds me, Herb, you know those weird phase push boxes that Gentry of Eagle Twin uses, and he got SunnO)))/Boris/etc hooked on, so all of your speaker cabs push the same phase... what the fuck are those?

hems, i would like one of those, but i don't have the effects. well, i have distortion pedals and fuzz pedals but not the d+ and ff.

jake, i knew that the dude from ET made those active buffer/splitters that they use to combine all their amps.

a phase box would be pretty simple to make, no?

Hemisaurus

A polarity box yes, a phase box no.

The only adjustable phase tool I know of is the IBP

Speakers powered by the same amp should be in polarity, a PA stack should be in phase.

Polarity is making sure that all the speakers move in the same direction when the same signal is applied to them. It's getting all your +ve's in a row.

Phase is making sure all the speakers move at the same time for the same signal.

I read someone once expounding that all members of a band had to have their speakers in phase, which was absolute bullshit, because unless everyone hits the same note at the exact same point in time. Fancy crossovers will have delay on them so you can get your flown speakers in phase with your ground speakers, or your horn speakers in phase with your direct radiators.

I imagine you could use a phase alignment tool, if you are running multiple amps, but it's going to be subjective on where you stand, and for mic'ing into a PA, it would become critical to get all the mics the same exact distance from the speaker cones, etc.

I think sometimes the slight out of phaseness can add a thickening effect to the sound. Now if you had one amp with a really non-linear frequency response it might make some very weird sounds, but no amount of phase alignment would help that.

rayinreverse

gentry doesnt make those. a guy named Ned does. They are just splitter boxes that multiple outs, each with a level control. Each output also has like Hemi said a Polarity switch. They are super bitchin boxes.
gentry and tyler from eagle twin do make sweet cabs though.

justinhedrick

Quote from: rayinreverse on October 31, 2011, 04:16:52 PM

gentry doesnt make those. a guy named Ned does. They are just splitter boxes that multiple outs, each with a level control. Each output also has like Hemi said a Polarity switch. They are super bitchin boxes.
gentry and tyler from eagle twin do make sweet cabs though.

what is the cab company called? do they sell to the public?

rayinreverse

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 31, 2011, 04:23:06 PM
Isn't it Hex Cabs?

http://www.facebook.com/people/Hex-Cabs/100002301149214

yup. they sound awesome.
my bass player just picked one up. its the 4x10, 1x15 that they just posted a picture of.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

I ordered the BYOC and the GGG. The only question is how to set them up. I'm thinking of starting them both as triangles and then maybe ram's head and then finally mix things up.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

RAGER

populated the board on my Leeds Fuzz today.  Waiting for paint to dry on the case so I can finish assembly.
No Focus Pocus