Main Menu

Favorite fuzz pedal kit

Started by clockwork green, October 20, 2011, 10:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

Must be a purchasable kit...I'm too lazy to part things out. It's been awhile since I've made a pedal and I'd like to build another one.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Derelict78

Chovie D

Mike_Sims

I think anything GGG or BYOC is pretty good. Quality stuff too

Clydesdale

My GGG muff kit arrived today.. I'm not to sure whether to build the green Russian or the GGG tuned version.
I hear the tuned version is very close to the blue beard? Those blue beards do sound pretty nice!
But I also do love my green Russian, so it's decisions decisions for me.

Hemisaurus

Do the input cap mod a la supercollider ;D

Clydesdale

Input cap mod you say. The super collider has alway been of interest to me.
How might I do this?
In the mean time I'll google it.

Hemisaurus

The input section, is a cap, I think maybe 10nF perhaps 100nF (.1uF) and in parallel with it is a 10uF cap in series with 100K pot, as you turn the pot down, or up depending on how you wire it, more and more bass is let through. Allows a fairly radical shaping of the tone. That and a tweak to the tone knob I think is all that separates a supercollider from a green russian (I think, whichever one has all .1uF coupling caps)

Derelict78

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: RAGER on October 21, 2011, 06:20:07 PM
Quote from: Chovie D on October 21, 2011, 02:07:57 AM
BYOC leeds fuzz!!!!!!!

Just ordered one.  stoked
just checked my tracking number.  It might show up today.  But I won't really have time fo work on it until next week.  Busy with work and gotta fix my girls Jeep this weekend.  Oh man is she gonna owe me. 
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

I really like that pedal alot, especially the scooped setting. I hope you dig yours.

moose23

I really need to make myself a Superfuzz clone soon.

RAGER

Quote from: Chovie D on October 25, 2011, 06:15:17 PM
I really like that pedal alot, especially the scooped setting. I hope you dig yours.

I showed my girl what I was getting and she's like " it's $75 and you have to put it together?"

pffft. girls ::)
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

get started on the case as soon as you get it. sanding priming painting and labelng takes the longest to do and you can do that while you do other things due to the waiting for it to dry between coats. the soldering itself takes about 2-3 hours

RAGER

yeah i've been trying to think of something cool to etch but I'm not very artsy when it comes to shit like that.  I thought about maybe Pete's head but all fucked up lookin.  fukn i don't know.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

It got here last night.  I'll build this thing next week I hope. 
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

go Rager go!

you can use ink jet printable water slide decals to label or decorate the case.
they sell em in sheets at hobby stores fo model plabnes and shit and you can run em thru your compu printer.
Here is an amp selector I made. i kinda fucked up the bush sticker but didnt feel like redo-ing it.
also check out the gallery in the forum at BYOC website, incredible stuff there, lots a great ideas, some examples fo etching too

and here be the leeds, I wanted somethign simple and mimicing the original

bitter

Chov-man that is priceless. Can you explain what happened to the sticker that caused that pitting? did you just rush the transfer?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

moose23

Just finished a Tone Machine clone, amazing Octave Up fuzz fun well worth checking out if you like octave fuzzes.

Also built a psychtar which has this really cool modulation on the octave. Supposed to suggest a sitar but in reality sounds nothing like it but still gonna be great for psych solos.

Lumpy

Don't get so caught up in painting the housing that you lose interest in making the pedal (like me). I had one box that I needed to clear coat like 20 times (to even it out) plus wet sanding... and now the clear coat is cracking. If I was going to do it over again, I would probably not paint at all (just go on bare metal like Devi Ever, Electro Harmonix etc) and go with a full-face sticker or decal (when you have partial decals, you can notice the edges). Also, re: paint... black doesn't work well with decals (decal sheets are transparent, or white background). Lighter colors of paint work better with decals. A full face decal or sticker would probably be easiest, and still look pro. (You still need to steel wool the box to prep it)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

Quote from: bitter end on October 27, 2011, 04:01:11 PM
Chov-man that is priceless. Can you explain what happened to the sticker that caused that pitting? did you just rush the transfer?

Hey thanx! Im not sure what happened...It kind of started to bubble a little after it printed even before I transfered it and clear coated. But yes, rushing the transfer or clear coating it too soon after applying it will do similar, crackle up your image a bit.
On the superfuzz you can see i was getting a little bit of bleed also and again they just printed that way. my printer really sux ballz.
i did a few that came out perfect, but its a crap shoot for me.

The amp selector just switches the cable from the amp heads output jack to a single speaker cabinet, so that at home I could just select one of three heads to power a 2x12 without having to reach around (thats what he said). I run a marhsall 18 watt clone, a balckface bassman and a 40 watt guild thunderbass head thru it. The holes in the front are to screw it to the shelving where the amps are located

Lumpy I just cannot stand the look of the bare metal cases, to each their own tho.
Full face sticker I found to be VERY difficult to apply without getting massive wrinkling...but as you can see from the photos above, im far from pro at it.
and good point aboutn the light dark thing, too troo. for Images I like ot use a white undercoat and white stick sheets, for graphics, words, arrows, etc i like to use clear over a light colored undercoating. I did make one black pedal with white labels...meh it was okay I guess. The byoc forums gallery...just has some amazing pro looking work in there.

Chovie D

another thing that I like to do is use knobs other than the ones they provide, a little customization goes a long way and you can find old knobs on old stereos and shit in the trash...or order em. this is the byoc overdrive, does a nice tubescreamer imitation but I prefer a tubescreamer in the end.

RAGER

I'll prolly just use my air die grinder and make it really rough looking then paint and sand.  One  color for the gouged out stuff and then the pedal another color.  I should be able to paint the pedal, let it totally cure and dry, then do the die grinder gouging, tape off the area shoot it then wipe down the flat areas while the paint is wet with wax and grease remover while leaving the rest of the wet paint in the gouged out text/design whatever.  If that makes any sense.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

cool. let us know how it goes, posta few pics when done, any probs just ask, its been a while tho so your probably better off at the byoc forums if you run into trouble. I recall teh leeds fuzz was one of their more complicated fuzzes to build , mostly because physically fitting the components and wiring into the case i remember being a tight squeeze. Enjoy! they are fun to build..and addictive (be careful).