any companies make a 2x12 and 2x15 in the same cabinet?

Started by justinhedrick, October 20, 2011, 04:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

i'm going to build one based on the orange/matamp/emperor design this winter that will be 13 ply, sealed really well, covered in grizzly grip.

so . . . anyone know of a cabinet company that does this?

also, anyone know the diminsions of the green 4x15?

dunwichamps

Emperor might do it for a fee, but i dont know neone who does it on the regular

Hemisaurus

http://lowdownsound.com/ have probably done it.  From the website greenamps.com, which I didn't even need to google, didn't need to hunt, wasn't difficult to find atall ;)

15" Speaker Cabinets
    4X15 Cab   MONO 1800watts @ 4 ohm STEREO 900watts @ 8 ohm, DIM: 51.5" X 16" X 29"
    4X15 DA Cab MONO 1800watts @ 4 ohm STEREO 900watts @ 8 ohm, DIM: 51.5" X 18" X 29"
    4X15 FH Cab  MONO 1800watts @ 4 ohm STEREO 900watts @ 8 ohm, DIM: 57.5" X 16" X 30.5"

justinhedrick

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 20, 2011, 05:13:01 PM
Emperor might do it for a fee, but i dont know neone who does it on the regular

i was thinking the same thing. I wonder why it hasn't been done yet? size?

i would ask emperor to make one, but a buddy of mine wants to start building custom cabs so we are going to experiment. i've seen several blogs online that show how matamp/electrical does theirs, so we have a good starting point.

dunwichamps

its just an unusual arrangement, they would probably do it if more people asked for it

Hemisaurus

Why not just download the Eminence design book and double up?

They have a 1x15 1x12 or maybe 1x10 for guitar/bass, they build a separate compartment for the smaller driver, so it's a box within a box. You can go one further and put the 12's in a sealed box for that nice punchiness you get from a closed back cab, and port the 15's

Know what speakers you are going to put in it ahead of time, and tailor the cab to suit the speakers.

justinhedrick

hmm. would it be advisable to just use the 4x15 dimensions to make it? or could i go smaller???

i has the confused.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 20, 2011, 05:28:52 PM
Why not just download the Eminence design book and double up?

They have a 1x15 1x12 or maybe 1x10 for guitar/bass, they build a separate compartment for the smaller driver, so it's a box within a box. You can go one further and put the 12's in a sealed box for that nice punchiness you get from a closed back cab, and port the 15's

Know what speakers you are going to put in it ahead of time, and tailor the cab to suit the speakers.

that' a great idea. then i'd just taylor the design of it like an electical/green cab.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, now that I look the Eminence does what I suggested, the 10 is in a sealed box and the 15 is ported.

I'd say the easiest way would be to model the 12's first, and then once you've figured out a good closed box for them, design the one for the 2x15's and then figure out how to get the two volumes together, the space behind the 2x12 box can be included in the volume for the 2x15 ported box, but the space of the 2x12 box has to be subtracted from the overall volume of the cabinet.

If you want help crunching the numbers, and can't figure out something like WinISD or the Eminence software, give me a yell.

Hemisaurus

I had another thought, if you wanted a truly devastating bass response, you could re-make the Warwick Terminator, I lusted badly after one of those cabinets, but they never exported them.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041013164535/http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/term.htm

They made an isobarik bandpass cab for the 2x15's (where the two drivers are clamped together and wired out of phase, which makes for a better bass response in a smaller cabinet) and then the 2x10's which were also ported. You could make a 2x15 bandpass and a sealed 2x12 for guitar ;D

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 20, 2011, 05:54:45 PM
I had another thought, if you wanted a truly devastating bass response, you could re-make the Warwick Terminator, I lusted badly after one of those cabinets, but they never exported them.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041013164535/http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/term.htm

They made an isobarik bandpass cab for the 2x15's (where the two drivers are clamped together and wired out of phase, which makes for a better bass response in a smaller cabinet) and then the 2x10's which were also ported. You could make a 2x15 bandpass and a sealed 2x12 for guitar ;D

hmm. how would that sound for guitar?

Hemisaurus

Like a guitar coupled to an earthquake I'd imagine. You'd get the guitar sounds from the 2x12 and this gut shaking bass would be appearing to surround you. Be especially devastating with octavers I suppose.

I've modelled the 15 isobarik with a 4th order bandpass (because you have to hand tune a 6th order) and the Eminence Kappa or Kilomax 15's both are pretty similar, for a 50 liter box (about 1.8 cubic feet) they're both about 3dB down between 43Hz and 120Hz and 10dB down at 34Hz.

For giggles I also modelled the 12" LAB-12 the custom built subwoofer which goes for about the same as the 15's, maybe a little cheaper I think than those 15's, it only needs a 40 liter box (1.4 cu ft.) and is 3dB down between 25 and 67Hz and 10dB down at just under 19Hz, though you should probably limit it at 30Hz anyways.

20 x 15 x 10 inches = 50 liters (approx)
20 x 12 x 10 inches = 40 liters (approx)

to give you some idea of scale.

NB the driver details came in the WinISD database, except for the LAB-12 which I entered myself from the Eminence datasheet.

Hemisaurus

From usspeaker.com

Kappa 15LF = $140
Kilomax 15 = $265
LAB-12       = $165

Hemisaurus

I should say, if you've ever played through a preamp and crossover, you're playing sounds great etc.  with just the highs on, you don't really notice much difference, then you kick on the sub and it's like whoomp, wow, oh my god, where did all that come from. It would be that kind of sound I imagine. Maybe wasted on guitar, unless you like it chunky.

Usual offer, if you ever want to tinker with my toys, and y'have a day free, your welcome to come see what a stupid amount of speakers sounds like ;)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 20, 2011, 06:31:10 PM
I should say, if you've ever played through a preamp and crossover, you're playing sounds great etc.  with just the highs on, you don't really notice much difference, then you kick on the sub and it's like whoomp, wow, oh my god, where did all that come from. It would be that kind of sound I imagine. Maybe wasted on guitar, unless you like it chunky.

Usual offer, if you ever want to tinker with my toys, and y'have a day free, your welcome to come see what a stupid amount of speakers sounds like ;)

i'd love to do that. we'll have to make it happen this fall/winter.

matador_sound

I'd be interested in doing it. shoot me an email if you're interested. matadorsound@gmail.com

justinhedrick

Quote from: matador_sound on October 21, 2011, 10:54:40 AM
I'd be interested in doing it. shoot me an email if you're interested. matadorsound@gmail.com

where are you located? i bet shipping would kill me.

matador_sound

Pelham, AL. about 20 minutes south of Birmingham, AL.

justinhedrick

Quote from: matador_sound on October 21, 2011, 12:04:46 PM
Pelham, AL. about 20 minutes south of Birmingham, AL.

right on. i think i'm going to go the DIY route. once i figure out the diminsions, i have a guy who is going to help me source and cut the wood for me, then i can just start going to town.

liquidsmoke

Do you guys lift weights? Is it possible for one person to lift a 2x12-2x15 cab? Or an 8x10? Yikes.

justinhedrick

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 21, 2011, 02:07:20 PM
Do you guys lift weights? Is it possible for one person to lift a 2x12-2x15 cab? Or an 8x10? Yikes.

it can't be that much heavier than an oversized 4x12.

and no, i don't lift weights. i suck.

matador_sound

cool. good luck with it. lemme know how it goes and be sure to post pics/sound clips! :)

liquidsmoke, it's not that bad. the trick is to have removable casters on all four corners of your cab. I have a 4x10/1x18 that I can lift and carry by myself, and I'm not really in any decent shape. I'm skinny...that's it.....terrible shape as I found out yesterday, though. lol. I think the cab weighs about 115 lbs, though. not too bad, the handles just have to be in the right place.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, cabs like that are alright, until you have to play on the second floor, and no elevator.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 21, 2011, 03:28:05 PM
Yeah, cabs like that are alright, until you have to play on the second floor, and no elevator.

like at mike and mollys.

Hemisaurus

Starting to think maybe a 2x15 and a 2x12 in separate cabs might be the way to go?

I love big monolithic cabs, like the Orange's 24x12 for guitar or 10x15 for bass, but could you fit it in your car?