MXR Micro Amp or LPB-1?

Started by Baltar, October 15, 2011, 01:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baltar

I'm in the market for a booster.  Cheap.  Which one do you cats like?
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Baltar

Cool, found one for $60 in town here.  But the LPB-1 is $40, and is pretty good too.

Hemisaurus

It's single IC op-amp boost vs. single transistor boost. (MXR is the IC).

Only users I know are Freightshaking Bob uses the LPB-1, Phil from Motorhead uses the MXR. I think the guitarist in my old band also uses the LPB-1, but I never heard him with it.

Funnily enough I have a Mole sitting right here, needing soldered together, drop a couple of caps from it and it's and LPB-1 ;D

grimniggzy

They're both fine but I'd go with the Micro Amp myself.

Lumpy

The Microamp is supposed to be cleaner, the LPB adds a wee teeny bit of warmth/dirt. At least that's what they tell me.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Baltar

Thanks Lumpy, I was wondering about the difference.  I've heard an LPB-1 through a '76 JMP and it slayed.  I'm leaning towards the LPB-1.

spookstrickland

I've played around the LPB circuit and it boosts great but it does roll of some high end.  I ended up making a hybrid design of my own and I really like it.  It still fattens the sound up a little but sounds much more pure.  They're easy to make I would say build your own you can do it from parts from radio shack in a couple hours.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

Except for a footswitch, they don't carry a stomp switch :-[

Clydesdale

What exactly do these pedals bring to the table? More volume? Fattening of the tone?

Iron Mtn

I have the LPB 1 and I really don't care for it. If it's not dialed correctly or your amp settings change, it tends to flatten out your notes. The best boost i've used is the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster.....

VOLVO)))

I got myself a univox unidrive clone.

Love it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Baltar

Well if anyone wants to trade me an LPB-1 or Micro for my Torn's Peaker Fuzz lemme know.  I got it in a trade straight from Devi herself back in March.  Or $90 shipped $US or Canadian.  I have a buddy in Michigan that could buy me a booster cheaper there, so US dollars will work too.  Thanks for all the opinions!

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Clydesdale on October 17, 2011, 01:30:31 AM
What exactly do these pedals bring to the table? More volume? Fattening of the tone?
I see them mostly used with single channel amps for a boost for soloing. In a tube amp they tend to push the input section harder, which on a lower gain amp, like Early Marshalls, Fenders, Orange etc. sounds very nice, on a high gain amp like a Boogie it just sounds kind of nasty and thin and ice picky.

justinhedrick

one of the best stoner rock tones i've ever heard was a traynor head (i don't remember the model? i guess it was their version of a bassman?) turned up to 10, a les paul standard, and a MXR micro amp turned up. it was a 1 trick pony, but man, what a trick!

Iron Mtn

Quote from: Baltar on October 17, 2011, 08:28:10 AM

Well if anyone wants to trade me an LPB-1 or Micro for my Torn's Peaker Fuzz lemme know.  I got it in a trade straight from Devi herself back in March.  Or $90 shipped $US or Canadian.  I have a buddy in Michigan that could buy me a booster cheaper there, so US dollars will work too.  Thanks for all the opinions!

I'll trade my LPB 1 for your fuzz.
PM your address to me and let's do it....

Clydesdale

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 17, 2011, 09:12:18 AM
I see them mostly used with single channel amps for a boost for soloing. In a tube amp they tend to push the input section harder, which on a lower gain amp, like Early Marshalls, Fenders, Orange etc. sounds very nice, on a high gain amp like a Boogie it just sounds kind of nasty and thin and ice picky.

This sounds like it could go quite well with my Sound city... Also quite an easy built I expect? I might try one of these as my first non pedal kit build. Cheers

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Clydesdale on October 17, 2011, 10:49:29 AM

This sounds like it could go quite well with my Sound city... Also quite an easy built I expect? I might try one of these as my first non pedal kit build. Cheers

Yep get yourself of up to that parts place again.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/richardo/perfboard/index.html

You can remove caps C3 and C4 and make C1 and C2 100nF to modify this to an E-H LPB-1 all-frequency booster.

You know how to wire a true bypass switch, yes?

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=27

Baltar

Iron Mtn

Pedal will be sent on Thursday morning!
Thanks Baltar!!!!

Clydesdale

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 17, 2011, 10:53:17 AM
Quote from: Clydesdale on October 17, 2011, 10:49:29 AM

Yep get yourself of up to that parts place again.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/richardo/perfboard/index.html

You can remove caps C3 and C4 and make C1 and C2 100nF to modify this to an E-H LPB-1 all-frequency booster.

You know how to wire a true bypass switch, yes?

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=27

The only true bypass i've done is with the kits i've put together. Im really good at instructions and diagram layouts, but at this stage struggle with the finer details of a real build. I will learn in time, when time finally permits.

This picture you kindly added is exactly what i was after, a nice easy to understand diagram. Its also very familiar due to the 4 kits i've knocked up thus far

I have tracked down all the components for the Hogs foot layout so hopefully i'll have a crack in the next couple of days.