Main Menu

What's on your workbench?

Started by Ranbat, October 11, 2011, 09:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

I just finished putting this one together. It's an Epi copy of a Jackson. I bought it from a kid that couldn't tune it because of the floating bridge. It was just a basic black Super Strat style guitar. I repainted it Metallic Black with Dark Grey Metallic flames. I also added the chrome pickup rings to give it a little more flash.

Meh :/

Hemisaurus

An oscilloscope, a DMM, a couple of soldering irons, a vice, parts bin, lots of dead ladybugs.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

xayk

60's teardrop-style guitar that I can't fit my hands into to replace the pots.  DAM Meathead clone that started to smoke every time it had power hooked up to it..  60's Gibson SS amp that I managed to shock myself on.  It wasn't my best DIY weekend, truthfully.

Ranbat

Quote from: xayk on October 11, 2011, 10:07:19 PM
60's teardrop-style guitar that I can't fit my hands into to replace the pots.  DAM Meathead clone that started to smoke every time it had power hooked up to it..  60's Gibson SS amp that I managed to shock myself on.  It wasn't my best DIY weekend, truthfully.

Uh, damn. Maybe you better back away from the bench for a couple days.  :-X 
Meh :/

xayk

Quote from: Ranbat on October 11, 2011, 10:24:14 PM

Uh, damn. Maybe you better back away from the bench for a couple days.  :-X 

Ha, yeah.  It happens.  I'll stare at schematics for a week and then try again.

Incidentally, seeing that Kramer sticker behind your Epi makes me want to screen print some Kramer shirts like I had as a wee youth.  One more DIY thing I can screw up!

jibberish

bench has a PC gutted on it.   hm-2 is opened up next to it.   std weller station/small tools/power supplies of varying voltages.

dmm is in the other room. i use that thing all over randomly as are the dikes and strippers (heh they would have fun with that line in gen disgustion)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 11, 2011, 09:36:33 PM
An oscilloscope, a DMM, a couple of soldering irons, a vice, parts bin, lots of dead ladybugs.

it SHOULD have my two big muffs on there, but they are still in storage, probably being infested with lady bugs as we speak.

does anyone else have those damn things in their house? they are like lady bugs, but brown, and they bite like a mother. of course, living in a 100 year old house surrounded by corn/bean fields doesn't help.

neighbor664

Weed, a vaporizer and other paraphernalia.

Chovie D

1960's Fender 800....before

during ....

and after

Pundan

Lots of different resistors, capacitators, pots and transistors. All put together will become a Chorus pedal.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 12, 2011, 10:35:31 AM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 11, 2011, 09:36:33 PM

it SHOULD have my two big muffs on there, but they are still in storage, probably being infested with lady bugs as we speak.

does anyone else have those damn things in their house? they are like lady bugs, but brown, and they bite like a mother. of course, living in a 100 year old house surrounded by corn/bean fields doesn't help.
You're getting them this year? We had 'em last year, or the year before, and then seven years before that, it seems cyclical. Every year we get a few but those years it can be bad. Our last house I used to have to vacuum the walls before we went to sleep, filled a vacuum bag every day. When we bought this place, first thing we asked about was the windows. Make all the difference, I only see a few in the basement and a bunch in the garage nowadays.

PS I was being facetious, and not mentioning the amp and couple of pedals on there ;) I'm busy-ish don't worry.

justinhedrick

no problem hemi. you still coming to CU this weekend? what days?

moose23

3 phase 90 boards almost populated.
3 Foxx Tone Machine boards almost populated.
2 Psychtar boards populated and ready for off board wiring and boxing.
Broken EHX microsynth
Rat board bout half done
Green ringer that needs to be housed in with in my dark meathead clone, just gonna put it on a dpdt flip switch. This sounded great when I had it wired up after the Meathead on the bench.

Then guitars beside the bench:

Teisco SG Bass wiring and a few other issues to be sorted soon.
Starfire P bass copy just needs new pots wired in which I'm gonna do tonight.
Maison Les Paul Custom copy getting a  new neck pickup, switch and then rewired with sprague orange drops on the tone controls (this one is mine and it's gonna be set up C# with 12s)
Fender Jazz bass waiting on it's owner to supply me with a new bridge pickup (or at least the money for one).

Metal and Beer

Old bass strings (new set, w00t!)
Soldering gun from 1962, got from dad, still works great
Little leather satchel w/ small screwdrivers, files, pieces o' sandpaper/emery cloth, allen wrenches
Parts for a four-switch channel/effects footswitch I'm building for an Acoustic 470
Plastic dust from when I made a new nut for my bass out of a chunk o' plastic
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 12, 2011, 01:05:48 PM
no problem hemi. you still coming to CU this weekend? what days?
Nah, the missus saw sense, we're meeting our friends in Decatur, and avoiding any game traffic.

The ladybug bites won't kill you, but the smell is something terrible :P

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

70 Plush 1000s for about 6 months cuz i have a new gf and a super secret project that's been in the works for a while.  Oh and one of those cheapy little Shredder mini guitars.
No Focus Pocus

chille01

I have no work bench.  Only a dining room table.  So whatever goes there doesn't stay there for long... but I just got 3 new mini-humbuckers from GFS for the knockoff Firebird I bought a few months ago, and plan on doing the surgery over the next week or so.  Thinking I'm going to go with a modified Les Paul Custom type schematic, where I have a separate volume control for each pickup, and a master tone.  Stock, it has two volume two tone, and the middle pickup always works in tandem with the bridge.  This is what I'm looking at:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/81538-3-pick-up-les-paul-wiring.html

Any thoughts on the wisdom of this?  

Edit: These are the PUPS, from bridge to neck:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Little-Crunchy-Mini-Humbuckers-Chrome-Case-Bridge-Position_p_458.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Nashville-Minitron-Humbucker--Chrome-Neck-position-_p_1950.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Fat-Mini-Fat-Alnico-V-Magnets-Chrome-Case-Our-Best-Neck-Position_p_492.html

Hemisaurus

What's the switch doing? That weird diagram shows all 3 pickups wired to a switch, and no lead taken out? Or is it the middle one is always on, and the switch makes it either bridge / middle or neck / middle? So I guess in the middle it's all 3 pickups? Interesting.

If that's the way you want it, that's the way to wire it :)

PS I tend to do short term work on the kitchen table, and the stuff on my workbench seems to take forever :-[

If you want to mess with your head, check here http://www.1728.org/guitar3.htm

chille01

Hey Hemi,

My understanding is that is the way it works pretty much.  With the middle pup volume turned down, it works just like a regular two pickup guitar.  Then you can dial in as much of the middle pickup as you want in the center position.  If you want just the middle and one of the other PUPS (say bridge), you turn down the neck volume.  If you want just the middle pickup on it's own, you have to turn down the neck and bridge volume controls.  That's how I understand it anyway... let me know if you think the diagram says different.  It's not perfect, but I think it is better than having the middle pickup always have to work in tandem with the bridge.

Hemisaurus

Nope, that's how it looks, I just didn't have my brain in gear when I first started typing :-\

Pundan

Little Angel Chorus pedal
I believe this is based on a Small Stone. I chose very big 1W resistors and 63V capacitators so everything looks very cluttered.

Meathead w/ mod for Dark-mode
This is the second one I'm making, the mod isn't wired up yet.

Ayek

I have a bench, but my garage has no electricity. Been here for 3 1/2 years and still ain't gotten around to it. The odd job I do is done on the dining table and all my shit's scattered between drawers in the garage and cupboards in my bedroom and in my work van.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Ayek on October 23, 2011, 06:14:44 AM
I have a bench, but my garage has no electricity. Been here for 3 1/2 years and still ain't gotten around to it. The odd job I do is done on the dining table and all my shit's scattered between drawers in the garage and cupboards in my bedroom and in my work van.
Whatever happened to the cool amp with the sliders?