Peavey Windsor $299 - Today Only

Started by Hemisaurus, October 09, 2011, 10:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 09, 2011, 08:37:55 PM
Just grab the Weber kit Duwich mentioned.

That requires me to fuckin' work though...

I need to buy my conceal and carry permit, and a handgun, so gear purchases get pushed back for a while...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 09, 2011, 08:40:19 PM

I need to buy my conceal and carry permit, and a handgun, so gear purchases get pushed back for a while...

2 much QQ not enough PewPew

bitter

Speaker of jumping inputs, that weber 100w hiwatt clone looks good too.  ;D

Although I don't understand what that the pre-master and post-master knobs are about??? I read something about them being pre-phase inverter and post-phase inverter. I've never understood that concept. Anyone tell me what they do exactly?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

RAGER

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 09, 2011, 08:36:30 PM
Really though, I should just find a legit 1959 Marshall and jump the channels on it. I just like the look.
oh you mean like mine :)
No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

prephase inverter means the volume controls the amplitude before the phase inverter, thats the circuit which produces 2 output of phase waveforms to drive the push pull power amp. Post phase inverter means the control is after the phase inverter. For example if you crank the prephaseinverter master then choke down the post, you will get signifigant phase inverter distortion, while vice versa gives you much less to no phase inverter distortion for the same output signal to the speaker/

clockwork green

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 09, 2011, 08:40:19 PM

What do you plan on getting?  A CCW in California is next to impossible unless you're in office or best buddies with the sheriff but I have a Glock 21 at home and plan on getting a Mossberg 590A1 in the near future.  I'm still pretty new to shooting but my girlfriends family is into it and I got to do some rifle shooting when I was at their farm in Florida.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

bitter

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 09, 2011, 09:14:28 PM
prephase inverter means the volume controls the amplitude before the phase inverter, thats the circuit which produces 2 output of phase waveforms to drive the push pull power amp. Post phase inverter means the control is after the phase inverter. For example if you crank the prephaseinverter master then choke down the post, you will get signifigant phase inverter distortion, while vice versa gives you much less to no phase inverter distortion for the same output signal to the speaker/

So pardon me (I'm borderline retarded here), does that mean you can set how dirty the amp is relative to the volume. Set the pre high for a more overdriven signal or low to keep the signal clean??? How does that affect the overall headroom of the amp? Again, sorry it's a little confusing.

Quote from: clockwork green on October 09, 2011, 09:19:28 PM

What do you plan on getting?  A CCW in California is next to impossible unless you're in office or best buddies with the sheriff but I have a Glock 21 at home and plan on getting a Mossberg 590A1 in the near future.  I'm still pretty new to shooting but my girlfriends family is into it and I got to do some rifle shooting when I was at their farm in Florida.

That's the way it goes in liberal states (I'm not complaining though). I always thought in the south CCW permits came in kid's happy meals  ;D
I've got a glock 17 for home but a springfield xd subcomp 9mm would be the ticket for carrying. I like the super safe design features. 

clockwork green

I'm not trading my SF bay area for the south and I know more and more liberal folks getting into guns (myself included) so maybe things will change. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

I live in Florida, CCW ain't shit to get. You can get them at gun shows, gun shops, random dudes do it, here.

Also, if you don't want to carry one on your person, just to have a truck gun, we have the three step rule, in Florida. You can have a registered hand gun in Florida, long as it's three steps away from you. In a zipper bag, under a seat, unclipped (but keep it chambered.) It's supposed to give you time to think about what you're pulling your gun for.

Long guns, you can have on a fuckin' rack in your window, though. I had a Remington 870 leaned up against the windowline in my Ranger for a few years, but I go to too many Military bases and Nuke plants to carry a long gun.

I am actually getting the Springfield XD-9, that's strange you mention it. Xytel lower, stainless upper, 3 inch... Killer little gun.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

VOLVO)))

I'm a reasonable, smart, (very liberal) young adult. I just have the right to bear arms, and not exercising that right kind of goes against BEING AMERICAN?

Also, I fuckin' live in the south, they give out guns for opening bank accounts here.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

isn't it the right to bear arms to form a militia, am I on abmilitia forum? ;D

VOLVO)))

You shush, Florida has those self-defense laws, etc etc.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

those the ones that allow seniors tomshoot their mailman right ;D

VOLVO)))

I'll just prompt you guys on why I'm getting a gun.

The other night, I was out with a buddy, just wanderin', we do that a lot, and we happened upon a guy in the midst of beating a women. I pushed him off her, and squared off, he pulled a gun. I was toast.

Never again.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mawso

Quote from: clockwork green on October 09, 2011, 04:22:47 PM
Will Brugera be the amp of choice of stoner rockers 10 years from now?

will any of em still work?

dunwichamps

Quote from: bitter end on October 09, 2011, 09:47:18 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on October 09, 2011, 09:14:28 PM

So pardon me (I'm borderline retarded here), does that mean you can set how dirty the amp is relative to the volume. Set the pre high for a more overdriven signal or low to keep the signal clean??? How does that affect the overall headroom of the amp? Again, sorry it's a little confusing.

Quote from: clockwork green on October 09, 2011, 09:19:28 PM

That's the way it goes in liberal states (I'm not complaining though). I always thought in the south CCW permits came in kid's happy meals  ;D
I've got a glock 17 for home but a springfield xd subcomp 9mm would be the ticket for carrying. I like the super safe design features. 

You would get more headroom if you cranked post master then if you cranked premaster assuming in both cases you had the same ouput power to speakers. If you crank both amp is dimed so you already going to get pretty clippy. The weber clones have a too much gain than most DR clone. Not that you can just sub a few tubes in and call it a day

That is not the easiest amp to build. its one of their tricker builds.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: mawso on October 10, 2011, 03:19:38 AM

Yep, I imagine they will. God knows maybe we'll end up with a band called Bugera, just like we have one called Sunn, prices going through the roof, fanboys moistening their panties over them.

They have a few definable issues, that are all easy fixes, people who know the fixes will buy them up, kind of like Sound Citys.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 10, 2011, 08:35:56 AM
Quote from: mawso on October 10, 2011, 03:19:38 AM

Yep, I imagine they will. God knows maybe we'll end up with a band called Bugera, just like we have one called Sunn, prices going through the roof, fanboys moistening their panties over them.

They have a few definable issues, that are all easy fixes, people who know the fixes will buy them up, kind of like Sound Citys.

people will be asking for bugera clone, i will be turning them down

bitter

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 10, 2011, 07:43:53 AM
You would get more headroom if you cranked post master then if you cranked premaster assuming in both cases you had the same ouput power to speakers. If you crank both amp is dimed so you already going to get pretty clippy. The weber clones have a too much gain than most DR clone. Not that you can just sub a few tubes in and call it a day

That is not the easiest amp to build. its one of their tricker builds.

Ok I get you now. That's what was throwing me off. There's a guy on youtube with a slightly modified 50 watt weber clone and it was way too dirty. Thank you for clarifying.

dunwichamps

Sub a 12au7 in V1 and the amp would clean up a ton

VOLVO)))

The AU isn't too low gain? It completely cut the volume of my 800 when I tried one. There's a hierarchy of tubes you can try, each one getting less and less gainy...

12AX7 - ECC83, 7025, ECC803, E83CC, 6681
12AT7 - ECC81, 6201, 6679
12AY7 - 6072
12AV7 - 5965
12AU7 - ECC82, 5963, 5814, 6189

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 11, 2011, 01:44:04 PM
The AU isn't too low gain? It completely cut the volume of my 800 when I tried one. There's a hierarchy of tubes you can try, each one getting less and less gainy...

12AX7 - ECC83, 7025, ECC803, E83CC, 6681
12AT7 - ECC81, 6201, 6679
12AY7 - 6072
12AV7 - 5965
12AU7 - ECC82, 5963, 5814, 6189

doug from dougs tubes once told me that you shouldn't sub 12au's for something that calls for an AX. i can't dig up the email right now, so i can't give specifics. i found his argument kind of odd (although not without merit, the guy knows his shit) since EVERYONE suggests subbing them.

dunwichamps

12au7 or a 12ay7 or whatever you find pleasing. Depends on which position you put it in. that has a lot of effect on the operation.

Nothing wrong with subbing in a 12au7. I do it all the time.

watch out for 12at7s, they can cause excessive grid current and blocking distortion

VOLVO)))

I'm not saying "wrong" I'm saying it seems like it would inhibit "tone?" There isn't enough signal to be amplified, so you love volume as well as high end? If it's what you're after, killer, but it seems like if you just wanted to be on the verge of dirt, I'd go with the AT or the AY, I know the AU in a valve JR gives you a full knob of clean, but half the volume...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.