hemi, could you build me this??

Started by justinhedrick, September 09, 2011, 01:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

I was going to build me a Meathead first, you can do a BF with wire nuts y'know ;D

That's an eylet layout, you can do it like that, in mid-air using a wire nut for each connection, do it on a piece of card and just twist the wires together, or on a bit of perfboard.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 09, 2011, 03:06:14 PM
I was going to build me a Meathead first, you can do a BF with wire nuts y'know ;D

That's an eylet layout, you can do it like that, in mid-air using a wire nut for each connection, do it on a piece of card and just twist the wires together, or on a bit of perfboard.

hmm. where do i put the switch/pot?

also, are you responding to board posts while driving?

VOLVO)))

I am posting while driving hahaha

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Tsk, other people have internetz you know ;) I'm not quite as bad as Sunn yet.

You can put a 100K pot on the output, but you don't need it, it's just a level, it doesn't affect the fuzz.

xayk

The Bazz Fuzz is a fun little pedal - I built a handful for friends a few years ago.  If I were doing it again I'd just leave the volume pots off, as it's the kind of pedal that's really best all the way up, imho. 

Hemisaurus

Quote from: xayk on September 09, 2011, 05:59:53 PM
The Bazz Fuzz is a fun little pedal - I built a handful for friends a few years ago.  If I were doing it again I'd just leave the volume pots off, as it's the kind of pedal that's really best all the way up, imho. 
Where did you get your parts?

That's the bad thing about even the simplest projects, you've got to house them, get a switch, jacks, etc.

Without going the alternate route, and putting them in old containers, which only saves you the case cost, you end up paying $8 at least for a metal box, $6 for a bypass switch, throw in another $4 for a pair of jacks, and you are already past the price of a little Dano box :'(

Also power jacks, anyone know of a good one, that's insulated, so you can make it negative center like a Boss pedal?

xayk

This can turn into a long and dumb story, apologies if it does.  But anyway.  I wanted to do something personal for Christmas a few years ago, so I decided on a great sounding (YMMV...) and easy circuit, so the Bazz Fuzz was the choice. 

All of those parts came from either Mouser (for trannies, caps and resistors) and Pedal Parts Plus (for 3pdt's and jacks.)  Stupidly, I didn't use led's, so the 3pdt was a pricey overkill. PPP had really great customer service and decent prices on quantities of jacks and switches.  (In addition to PPP and Mouser, I'll order from Jameco and Mammoth Electronics, the later of which has been killing jack and 3pdt prices.)

The most expensive part was going to be the enclosure, and after much searching, I opted to go *really* DIY and make them.  Check: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/steelstud/steelstud.htm

If you're handy with a Dremel or saw, or have time on your hands, or are a masochist, give that a whirl some day. 10 boxes took some doing even with a friend helping, and while the price of material was close to nothing, my time investment easily approached $6 a box.  A great learning experience, though.

I also made each pedal with a different diode, either a different colored LED, typical silicon, and in one case a spare germanium I had laying around.  Hemi, I know you have a scope, and those'd be fun to compare (even if you socketed and swapped them,) but it was up to my ear to find my favorite (and keep it.)  I think I have a yellow LED in mine as the diode.

The run I did was battery-only - when I make other pedals (poorly) I use the plastic Boss-style dc jacks (http://www.mammothelectronics.com/category-s/54.htm).

Anyway, there's so much do do with that circuit.  It's something I keep wanting to futz with - add a booster before, cascade one into another, blah blah blah.  And I know there's a version with a transformer, too, but I don't know if it's sonically different or just electrical wankery.

Hemisaurus

Neat article, I'd been toying with a single folded piece of steel for an amp chassis like my Alamo is built, wonder if this will work.

spookstrickland

Quote from: xayk on September 09, 2011, 08:39:55 PM
This can turn into a long and dumb story, apologies if it does.  But anyway.  I wanted to do something personal for Christmas a few years ago, so I decided on a great sounding (YMMV...) and easy circuit, so the Bazz Fuzz was the choice. 

All of those parts came from either Mouser (for trannies, caps and resistors) and Pedal Parts Plus (for 3pdt's and jacks.)  Stupidly, I didn't use led's, so the 3pdt was a pricey overkill. PPP had really great customer service and decent prices on quantities of jacks and switches.  (In addition to PPP and Mouser, I'll order from Jameco and Mammoth Electronics, the later of which has been killing jack and 3pdt prices.)

The most expensive part was going to be the enclosure, and after much searching, I opted to go *really* DIY and make them.  Check: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/steelstud/steelstud.htm

If you're handy with a Dremel or saw, or have time on your hands, or are a masochist, give that a whirl some day. 10 boxes took some doing even with a friend helping, and while the price of material was close to nothing, my time investment easily approached $6 a box.  A great learning experience, though.

I also made each pedal with a different diode, either a different colored LED, typical silicon, and in one case a spare germanium I had laying around.  Hemi, I know you have a scope, and those'd be fun to compare (even if you socketed and swapped them,) but it was up to my ear to find my favorite (and keep it.)  I think I have a yellow LED in mine as the diode.

The run I did was battery-only - when I make other pedals (poorly) I use the plastic Boss-style dc jacks (http://www.mammothelectronics.com/category-s/54.htm).

Anyway, there's so much do do with that circuit.  It's something I keep wanting to futz with - add a booster before, cascade one into another, blah blah blah.  And I know there's a version with a transformer, too, but I don't know if it's sonically different or just electrical wankery.

A little boost pedal into a bazz fuss is awesome! I prefer it to a Big Muff.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

bitter

Spook, did you ever mount a bazz fuss into an enclosure. Or was it just on a breadboard?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

Quote from: xayk on September 09, 2011, 08:39:55 PM
The run I did was battery-only - when I make other pedals (poorly) I use the plastic Boss-style dc jacks (http://www.mammothelectronics.com/category-s/
Huh, I did not realise such existed, I had just googled and found the same thing over at smallbear, neat ;D

spookstrickland

Quote from: bitter end on September 09, 2011, 10:18:06 PM
Spook, did you ever mount a bazz fuss into an enclosure. Or was it just on a breadboard?

I did, one was in a shitty Radio Shack Box the other was this...

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

bitter

Oh snap! I totally forgot about that!  ;)
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

SpaceTrucker

I want to build one, and house it in an altoids tin.

Its an instant pedal, and its metal!

edit or a skoal tin.

Hemisaurus

barely deep enough for jacks, not deep enough for a footswitch :(

spookstrickland

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 11, 2011, 07:55:34 AM
barely deep enough for jacks, not deep enough for a footswitch :(

What Hemi Said and if you did get it together the first time you ever stomped it, it would flatten out like pancake.  It's always best in my opinion to put your pedals in a very durable housing.  After all you went to all the work of building them why not make sure they last a life time.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

I can agree, I just put my Damn Mess 1 in a plastic tin, which is a nice size, and a cool shape, imagine a round tin with a single knob on it dead center, but the plastic on the edge is flimsy, you can see the jacks flex as you put in a connector.

I think tomorrow I'm going to pick up an electrical junction box for it, and of course spray paint it green ;D

1 Another fine Hemisaurus product

SpaceTrucker

I was gonna attach a 1/4 in male and a switch, you know attach it strait to the guitar.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: spookstrickland on September 10, 2011, 05:49:30 PM

Ah yes, I remember the GMC hubcap from the old board. I'd put the switch in the inner ring (red) because that lip edge would be getting in my clod-hopper's way. Cool idea nonetheless...
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

spookstrickland

Quote from: Metal and Beer on September 12, 2011, 04:20:29 PM
Quote from: spookstrickland on September 10, 2011, 05:49:30 PM

Ah yes, I remember the GMC hubcap from the old board. I'd put the switch in the inner ring (red) because that lip edge would be getting in my clod-hopper's way. Cool idea nonetheless...

I might do that on the next one.  I can't seem to find another one like that.  I found that one for a buck at a swap meet.  I've found some similar that I have got but I really dig that one.  I got big swap meet I'm going to in April so I should find some good building material then.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org