Main Menu

Wiring guitars

Started by rayinreverse, September 04, 2011, 08:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayinreverse

Any special tricks you like for Les Pauls? 500k,250k, cap size,etc...

TireSmoker

Yeah, I have one. Remove any ground plate from Gibson that may be there. Run a bare ground buss wire around the pots.  Run the buss wire through the leg of the pot (and solder that) which you want grounded and across the back of the pot (solder that too), no bending stuff over to solder it. This wire will solder to the pots easily and instantly, unlike shielded pickup wires, etc, which require a really hot iron and then even might be a pain.  From there, all grounds, bridge, output jack, pickup leads, etc. can be soldered to the ground buss wire wherever convenient.  This is so fast and easy to solder up, and provides a very quiet ground, and is easy to desolder again later, like I'm gonna do next week when my new black/creme super distortions arrive.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: TireSmoker on September 04, 2011, 09:14:06 PM
Yeah, I have one. Remove any ground plate from Gibson that may be there. Run a bare ground buss wire around the pots.  Run the buss wire through the leg of the pot (and solder that) which you want grounded and across the back of the pot (solder that too), no bending stuff over to solder it. This wire will solder to the pots easily and instantly, unlike shielded pickup wires, etc, which require a really hot iron and then even might be a pain.  From there, all grounds, bridge, output jack, pickup leads, etc. can be soldered to the ground buss wire wherever convenient.  This is so fast and easy to solder up, and provides a very quiet ground, and is easy to desolder again later, like I'm gonna do next week when my new black/creme super distortions arrive.

You shut the fuck up! This is MY special trick.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, Be wary of creating ground loops though, it's easy to do with this configuration. Start from 1 - 2- 3- 4, don't connect 4 to 1 though. Instead of bending the ground lug of the pot, I clip a lead off a resistor, put a joint on the case, up top, run the lead through the lug, solder to case, complete the connection by soldering the lead into the lug. It's neat, and tidy.

250k always seems too dark for me, and LP's. 500k all the way. I use 250k in all my Fender shit though, they're bright as balls.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Riffer

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

aowron

Going to rewire my SG soon (again); +1 for pics of that wiring method. Used .22pf caps last time, though ordered .47:s this time. The controllers didn't do shit with the .22 caps; could it just be my wiring job being shoddy or should I have used .47:s instead?

SpaceTrucker

TireSmoker

UPS tracking says my new pickups are coming tomorrow - I'll take pics of the wiring this week, as I do the job.  I think I'm gonna add a treble bypass on the volume pots also, which is another good trick for wiring a LP.

SpaceTrucker

Phase switch, so it can sound like Peter Greens Lp.

mutantcolors

I made an accidental discovery on a guitar in which I replace the pick ups. I was gonna sell it so I threw in some Rockfields that I wouldn't miss. By mistake, I hardwired these normally oversaturated Super D copies as coil tapped. Instant single coil Strat tone from a shitty bucker!

Mr. Foxen

Solid wire for the ground buss so even if the pot nuts come loose the soldered on wire stops them rotating and pulling out all the wires. Short and shielded signal wires.

mutantcolors

Well, I've been enjoying this mistake so much I'm gonna try it on my mockingbird with an old Super D I have laying around. There's something about that tone, on a 25.5" scale guitar, tuned down. We shall see...

jibberish

Baltar

New Squier Tele Special:

Eastwood SG

Treble-bled both guitars. I forgot the values, but the SG was the Seymour Duncan jpeg.  The Tele has a 680 pf cap and 220K resistor.
It helped both guitars, a lot.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

mutantcolors

That's to retain high end when dialing off volume, yes?