Agile vs Squier Classic Vibe for strat?

Started by Instant Dan, September 01, 2011, 05:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

Just looking for a beater/backup guitar. Probably will mod the bridge p'up and put in a super distortion strat pickup. Just looking for one to not have to change out the tuners, electronics, etc. to make it decent.

rayinreverse

I have played a few of those classic Vibe squires and I have to say I'm impressed. They're about 350 new though right? Agile probably cheaper

The Shocker

I had a Classic Vibe Duo Sonic that was very nice.  Excellent build quality.

MikeyT

Just got a good (ebay) deal on a Classic Vibe 50's Strat myself.
  I'd heard all the hype & read a bunch of positive reviews but wasn't expecting too much. The CVs in the youtube vids I watched didn't sound all that great- kind of an "almost there, but not quite there" tone, y'know?
Not quite making it.
Anyway, like I said, it was a good deal: Figured I could flip it for a small profit if I didn't like it, or give it to my nephew.

Got it, and I have to say the hype is true. Seems like a really well made guitar. It just has an aura of quality about it. Like an expensive instrument.
Squiers used to have a fairly bad reputation, and imo they used to really suck.
The first ones I played (way back) sounded horrible and were very hard to play (yeah, I know, they probably just needed a setup). I didn't play many, but had no desire to check out more.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

MikeyT

(cont. in a new post because of tech problem)
       Heard they were making them better. Picked up a 2005 Squier Affinity Strat w/Rosewood a few months ago (ebay). Affinitys have the smallest necks of any Fender or Squier Strat guitar, & I like small necks. The action was high & it sounded like &*%.
Thought, "You idiot, why'd you waste money on a Squier?".
Well, I knew it would be a "platform" when I bought it, right?

Was playing slide one day & something told me to check the Squier out for slide, since the action was high. Thought, "It'll sound like crap, but I'll try it".
Plugged it into a cheap practice amp & it sounded badass. Great, trashy tone. Really raw & exciting.
Problem solved, money saved.  ;D

Found a newer Sunburst Affinity Strat w/maple on Craig's List fo $99. It's a 2010, and it's sweet- better made/finished out than the 2005 (the frets, for example). May swap pups later.

The Classic Vibe 50's Strat is yet another step up (OK, two steps up if you consider Squier Standards as an option). Really easy to play, and smooth all over.
Killer for the $$, imo. It even sounds good. It's so cool that I hate to change it, so I'll probably leave it stock. If I do swap pups, I'll go with a vintage type of pup (low output, sweet tone).

OP, if you're wanting a Strat style guitar, I'd go with a used Classic Vibe 50's or 60's or a used Mexican Strat- 2006 or newer.

MikeyT

Also, the Classic Vibe 50's Strat necks are all maple, and the pups have Alnico III magnets.
The Classic Vibe 60's Strats have Rosewood fretboards and the pups have Alnico V mags.