Main Menu

Standard meathead mod

Started by Clydesdale, August 29, 2011, 06:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clydesdale

Does anyone here know how to mod the standard meathead one knob to the meathead dark?

Ive the pedal for about four years ( its no. 032) and basically I'm not a big fan. The potentials is there for sure, but I just don't gel with it. I'm thinking the meathead dark is what I want.

Anyway any info would be good.

I could also be open to a trade with this thing, as someone would love it I'm sure.

Hemisaurus

No idea, don't own one. Here however is a schematic, it doesn't look to complicated. What does the dark do, allow more bass?

Hemisaurus

Ah found it I wasn't far off, I was going to suggest doing a 10X on the input and output caps.

QuoteIf you want to experiment you can try using 47nf and 100nf for the respective input and output caps which essentially will give you a Meathead Dark.

So C2 the 10nf becomes a 47nf, and C5 the 22nF becomes 100nF, so a factor of 5.

Lumpy

Go to the D*A*M forum, and see if somebody wants to do a trade.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Clydesdale

Thanks for that hemi. The first pic is not working on my iPhones, I'll have a look when I'm in front of a computer. But yes it's time to do a build from scratch, I've done 5 kits that 4 work really well so it's time to have a crack at the dark meat.

Good idea lumpy, I may just do this. I'm often over there so I might put the feelers out.

Hemisaurus

Oop, your right. Try clicking the empty space, and the schematic should open in another window.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062364&filterName=Type&filterValue=Ceramic+disc+capacitors
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062365&filterName=Type&filterValue=Ceramic+disc+capacitors

In this case seeing as you only need two pieces, the local shack should suffice, $1.89 for a pack of two, so $3.78 and you get two spares.

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=R2860
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=R2865

Clydesdale

Wow altronics. thanks for looking that up for me.. Only about 2kms from where I am right now. Not a bad shop at all.

Do the quality of these caps matter. Or is DAM using some special cap that's soaked in goats blood for that overpriced second hand market.

Anyway seeing as its only 2 small mods I thinking I will swap them out and see what happens. If I don't like it i'll put them back in.

Cheers

Hemisaurus

Don't know what they used. The ceramics do have a pretty wide tolerance, you could upgrade to the greencaps, they're only 5% tolerance.

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=R2728A
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=R2736B

Doh it said on the schematic! Yeah go with the greencaps, it's gonna cost you 10c more ;D

Clydesdale

Yeah cool green caps it will be.

From all reports this dark head will give me more bottom end and a tighter response.

The one I have got has got the big mid spike that's no so good with my amps. 

Clydesdale

Got the caps, hopefully put them in tonight. Will be interesting either way.

Hemisaurus

Good luck, don't be alarmed if there's a size difference, I think I read somewhere that at some point they were using 630V amp caps in the Meathead, which is overkill for a 9V circuit, but it means the originals may be somewhat larger than the replacements you have.

neighbor664

What, this isn't a thread dissing SunnO))))?

Clydesdale

Ok they're in! There is physical size difference as the new caps are larger.

I have only tested it on my Epi jr with a 10" speaker, and with this set up I must say there is massive improvement. I have had an hour with it and its the best sounding fuzz or distortion I have heard through that little set up! This includes my green muff, large beaver, BYOC ultimate fuzz, BYOC rat ( by the way is a great pedal) and fat sandwich. The mids are smoothed right out. I now have a fair amount of bottom end to play with, possibly a massive amount through a full stack. Also the note clarity and sustain has improved drastically! 

Anyway It will now be interesting when I test it out with my Soundcity 120 and my Eminar, and some 4x12's. My gut feeling is the pedal with be quite crushing.

I'll report back after my jam on how this meathead goes.

Thanks again

Fuhgawz

Mess around with the coupling caps at the input and output. Increasing the values of these caps will let more bass in and out of the circuit. I myself like 33nF for the input and 47uF for the output. Gives the Standard a little more bass, but keeps it a tight enough to prevent becoming muddy. I believe the Dark version has 100nF for both, but I'm not sure. Look at pictures at the DAM forum to be sure. You should consider keeping your original intact and trading or selling it for something else.

O yeah, the 10uF elco in this schematic is 22uF in later versions. Increasing this cap increases the amount of bass in the gain. Too much and it can get muddy. Again, look at the pictures on the DAM forum to check for yourself. My original also has 22uF here. The newest M13's seem to have gone back to 10uF here, but with bigger input and output coupling caps. Good luck!!

Clydesdale

Hey fuhGawz

Yes I may experiment with some more options with caps. But I'm anxious to hear it at volume with my dark mod as is.

I did feel a bit guilty pulling it apart and modding the original layout. I suppose I knocked quite a bit off the selling price now. But that means nothing to me. It's just a fuzz.
It sounding so much better now on the small amp, if it sounds this good cranked it won't be going anywhere ever!

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Clydesdale on August 31, 2011, 04:07:08 AM
Hey fuhGawz

Yes I may experiment with some more options with caps. But I'm anxious to hear it at volume with my dark mod as is.

I did feel a bit guilty pulling it apart and modding the original layout. I suppose I knocked quite a bit off the selling price now. But that means nothing to me. It's just a fuzz.
It sounding so much better now on the small amp, if it sounds this good cranked it won't be going anywhere ever!
Put the original caps in an envelope, put them back if you sell it to someone who really cares.

Hemisaurus

Hey man, you've played with it some more (I hope) you think it would be any good on bass? I may just knock one up for myself if so.

Hemisaurus

Found this, I may give it a try my Bazz Fuss has too little sustain, probably because of poor cap choices.