Someone talk me out of buying a 3Leaf Proton pedal

Started by grimniggzy, August 24, 2011, 11:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimniggzy

I've been gassing for a Mutron III for a while (probably ever since I first heard Dragonaut) and just missed a chance to snag one for $150 on Talkbass. I'm starting to think that was my last chance to get one for a decent price at all.

This has made me really think about a Proton. These are supposed to be an improvement, but I like the huge volume spike and big funky box, to me it's all part of the vintage mojo of the pedal.
Anyway, heres a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5IMP_8kO0

Please, someone talk me out of it or even better help me find a legit Mutron for a good price.

grimniggzy

So someone emailed me about my "WTB Mutron" CL add. Hoping this pans out.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

5:03 til end. I'm buying one, now, actually.

the EHX Qtron does it, too..
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

I always read it online that Al used a ehx bassballs??? Not trying to debate it or anything, just curious. 
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

because you can buy a PCB for $18 and build your own?

I don't think you really want to be talked out of it, do you?

VOLVO)))

NVM, buying this.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Also Behringer Filter Machine $49, Line 6 Otto Filter $69.

grimniggzy

Thanks for all the links.
Forgot to specify the HAZ one won't do. Apparently the Qtron's are closer to the original than those are.
I do have a few Qtron's, one that is AWESOME for bass and definitely does the job. But the Mutron III really is supposed to be the holy grail of filters.
I legitimately do want to be talked out of the Proton, but I think the only way to cure this gas is to get hold of a Mutron.
I wouldn't be opposed to a clone, someone who can build one, HIT ME UP. I'm not trying to spend $200 on a Proton or upwards of $600-something even more ridiculous for an original if I don't have to.

grimniggzy

grimniggzy

Quote from: bitter end on August 24, 2011, 05:03:33 PM
I always read it online that Al used a ehx bassballs??? Not trying to debate it or anything, just curious.  

according to talkbass its a Mutron III...
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/envelope-filter-sleeps-dragonaut-686968/

I could totally see it being a bassballs though, now that I listen to it again. It doesn't sound totally Mutron-y to me anymore, but his may (& probably did) have some issues.

grimniggzy

Found some wiring layouts. Looks like some serious work, definitely nothing I'd be able to make work.
I'm really about to pull the trigger, only 3 of these left...

grimniggzy

Jake

Whoa. Looks like that Sleep video was uploaded by WhiskeyBucket!

I wonder if it's the same WB? I miss that muthfuck.
poop.

bitter

Quote from: Jake on August 24, 2011, 10:28:07 PM
Whoa. Looks like that Sleep video was uploaded by WhiskeyBucket!

I wonder if it's the same WB? I miss that muthfuck.

It was! I liked that dude. He went AWOL back in like '06 or something.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

Has anyone ever seen a version of THAT Sleep video, the long one of a show from like 93/94, that always has a copyright message across it, anyways does anyone have a version where the sound doesn't cut out every few seconds.

Was it ever available commercially?

Lumpy

I used to have a Mutron Phasor, it's not worth spending 300 dollars on IMO. For one thing, IMO use filters/flangers/phasers with extreme caution, they are super cheesey. The Mutron is hard-wired and it's big. There's tons of other effects you can use for your 30 second "outro" without spending a lot of money, time or trouble. But maybe you have some money burning a hole in your pocket.

Jake

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 24, 2011, 11:42:16 PM
Has anyone ever seen a version of THAT Sleep video, the long one of a show from like 93/94, that always has a copyright message across it, anyways does anyone have a version where the sound doesn't cut out every few seconds.

Was it ever available commercially?

Are you talking about the balcl & white, super 8 looking video? If so, my friend got an Earache VHS "sampler" type videocassette back when it came out ('93?) that has that Sleep video on it. I don't recall whether it was longer that the youtube version or not though...?
poop.

Lumpy

grimniggzy

nice, those are supposed to sound awesome.
pretty good price compared to a lot that I've seen too.
thanks.